Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm kinda disappointed if the c-store ship ends up being better than the anniversary one, even if it's just one higher rank boff or something. Obviously if the c-store one is better I will get it, and then what was the point of the anniversary ship It will just be discarded. I don't want to fly the flagship's inferior older sister. :/

Maybe they could make a 2nd anniversary skin unique to those who did the mission?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Sounds like Geko has some trouble.

He could take a page from the US Aircraft Carriers, they are the same, but yet there is variations.
In Naval parlance, a "flagship" is simply any ship that happens to have a flag officer on board it. So all level 40+ players are technically using "flagships", no matter what class they are. Although that doesn't mean *just* the T5 ships are "flagships". ANY ship that a flag officer boards (even if it's not theirs) becomes a "flagship". From Light Cruiser to Dreadnaught to Odyssey to Runabout. Admiral coming on board for a dinner? As soon as he steps on board, his "flag" is transferred to your ship. Ta-da! You're now a flagship. Congratulations. When the Admiral leaves, the "flag" goes with the Admiral, as does the "flagship" status.

They probably shouldn't have used "flagships" as a term to describe the Odyssey and the Bortas, but that was a bad precendent set from the very beginning of Trek (blame writers who only half research the things they write about), implying that the "best" ship in the fleet is the flagship, as if it's some sort of trophy-like award title (USS Enterprise, named flagship 10 years running!). Although I'm not sure what flag officer wouldn't choose the best ship to command the rest of the squadron from (since flag officers command squadrons and fleets, not individual ships), it's the flag officer's presence that determines the flagship, not the quality or type of the ship itself. In other words, a Flag Officer does not command from a certain ship because it is a flagship, a ship becomes a flagship because a Flag Officer has chosen to command the squadron or fleet from it (or for whatever reason decides to be aboard it).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashenfox
I'm kinda disappointed if the c-store ship ends up being better than the anniversary one, even if it's just one higher rank boff or something. Obviously if the c-store one is better I will get it, and then what was the point of the anniversary ship It will just be discarded. I don't want to fly the flagship's inferior older sister. :/
Try not to be disappointed. We knew it would be like that from the start. Devs leaked screen shots of the Odyssey's Saucer Separation. And you can see that the Bortas is carrying another battlecruiser on its back.

It's one of the reasons why I didn't waste a ship slot on the free versions. I knew they would be sub par compared to the C-Store versions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Try not to be disappointed. We knew it would be like that from the start. Devs leaked screen shots of the Odyssey's Saucer Separation. And you can see that the Bortas is carrying another battlecruiser on its back.

It's one of the reasons why I didn't waste a ship slot on the free versions. I knew they would be sub par compared to the C-Store versions.
Yeh, I guess it's the way of things. Still, would be nice if there was maybe a unique skin only available to those who did the mission, so at least we have something to show we were here on the second anniversary.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master

I use that slot... and when I'll have the new and finished Odyssey, I'll change it... Really, has ben funny take the point of that ship... from my first versions (on loadout and BO) until now.

Indeed, if we have choose that console rip away from my Kan Kithomer, I will be in a trouble . I only need an ensing more to complete it .

Maybe, the new "variant" come with saucer separation, pet, and extra BO without use of any console... but in that chase, it will cost no less of 3000 c-points (but really from it's way, it can be the best ship with the most advance technology that starfleet can make to date).

Anyway, I funny a lot with "old" Odyssey (from my first "brick" experience with it),

Thanks to everybody for the fun, sorry for my bad english.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Yeh, I guess it's the way of things. Still, would be nice if there was maybe a unique skin only available to those who did the mission, so at least we have something to show we were here on the second anniversary.
We got the "First Flight Captain" title which shows you were there for the anniversary and shakedown cruise of the flagship. No one else will be able to use that title. I have to agree a unique ship skin would have been nice tho.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
The Odyssies that was rewarded in the Second Anniversary can be thought of the Prototypes, while the C-store Odyssey's are the full production model.

Now not sure if the C-store Varient's are coming before the full C-store Version or it's being similtanously released.

BTW, Anxious to see what the new Varient's going to look like.
The anniversary versions are not Prototypes, there were just launched before tuesday.
Now, tuesday is finally coming.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Gecko is right. a Refit would have been something pulled out of mothballs and made up to snuff with current technology. Like an old B-52 bomber. Excelsior refit is a perfect example. Calling them flag ship variants vs retrofit seems appropriate
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
Although I'm not sure what flag officer wouldn't choose the best ship to command the rest of the squadron from (since flag officers command squadrons and fleets, not individual ships), it's the flag officer's presence that determines the flagship, not the quality or type of the ship itself. In other words, a Flag Officer does not command from a certain ship because it is a flagship, a ship becomes a flagship because a Flag Officer has chosen to command the squadron or fleet from it (or for whatever reason decides to be aboard it).
I am not really sure about that, but traditionally haven't Admirals always used smaller vessels and not the biggest/strongest the fleet has to offer to avoid being picked off on purpose? Since the enemy will most likely try to sink the biggest/strongest ship, if they suceed they would get the Admiral AND the fleets' finest.

In Star Trek, the Admiral was on a Excelsior at Wolf 359 and not on the Enterprise and I think in First Contact he was on a Galaxy instead of a Sovereign (Enterprise).
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
You DO have something to show for being there on the second anniversary. A crappy gimped version of the soon-to-debut Pay 2 Win versions that will never be released again.