Lt. Commander
# 21
03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
I am not really sure about that, but traditionally haven't Admirals always used smaller vessels and not the biggest/strongest the fleet has to offer to avoid being picked off on purpose? Since the enemy will most likely try to sink the biggest/strongest ship, if they suceed they would get the Admiral AND the fleets' finest.

In Star Trek, the Admiral was on a Excelsior at Wolf 359 and not on the Enterprise and I think in First Contact he was on a Galaxy instead of a Sovereign (Enterprise).
It depends a lot on the fleet and the time period.

But generally the flagship is the one the admiral chose as the "best" one from which to command. This will be a combination of quality of communication equipment, life expectancy in a firefight, the role the ship is intended to play in addition to hauling the Flag around, and favoritism.

The real mistake in calling the Enterprise the "Flagship of the Federation" is that a title like that would imply a role more like Airforce 1, or the personal ship of the Admiral Of The Fleet. And not so much the "Fist in" front line ship that it actually was in the series.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
From the last Crypic ask:

"Dstahl: The new ships being released in the C-Store are premium versions of the ship that were given out during the 2nd Year Anniversary event. They will contain alternate configurations and abilities and will be different than the free ship that was given out. All players will need to purchase these additional variants if they want the new configurations. "

I think that at last we'll see several variant's".

Thanks for the fun, sorry for my bad english.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm betting the variants we get on the 15th will be exactly what we initially had on Beta.

But I wouldn't mind seeing class-specific variants at some point as well.
Lt. Commander
# 24 Flagship Variant
03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Where it says "Flagship Variant" on the calendar, would I be correct in assuming that that means the Odyssey Class?
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Yes. The Odyssey and Bortas both have a variant coming out on the 15th.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Considering that the Odyssey was just released and was free to all that did the mission...it is too bad that Cryptic can't focus on variants for other ships that have been in-game a long time and were purchased through the c-store, like the Excelsior and Nebula. I know they are excited about the Odyssey, but seriously...there are a lot more pressing items in the game that could use some attention.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
In Naval parlance, a "flagship" is simply any ship that happens to have a flag officer on board it. So all level 40+ players are technically using "flagships", no matter what class they are. Although that doesn't mean *just* the T5 ships are "flagships". ANY ship that a flag officer boards (even if it's not theirs) becomes a "flagship". From Light Cruiser to Dreadnaught to Odyssey to Runabout. Admiral coming on board for a dinner? As soon as he steps on board, his "flag" is transferred to your ship. Ta-da! You're now a flagship. Congratulations. When the Admiral leaves, the "flag" goes with the Admiral, as does the "flagship" status.

They probably shouldn't have used "flagships" as a term to describe the Odyssey and the Bortas, but that was a bad precendent set from the very beginning of Trek (blame writers who only half research the things they write about), implying that the "best" ship in the fleet is the flagship, as if it's some sort of trophy-like award title (USS Enterprise, named flagship 10 years running!). Although I'm not sure what flag officer wouldn't choose the best ship to command the rest of the squadron from (since flag officers command squadrons and fleets, not individual ships), it's the flag officer's presence that determines the flagship, not the quality or type of the ship itself. In other words, a Flag Officer does not command from a certain ship because it is a flagship, a ship becomes a flagship because a Flag Officer has chosen to command the squadron or fleet from it (or for whatever reason decides to be aboard it).

They. Cryptic, didn't coin the use of the phrase Flagship in Star Trek. The Star Trek writers did. In the parlance of Star Trek, the flagship has always been the most advanced ship of it's day. A ship crew by the best and brightest of Starfleet. The flagship exemplifies everything that the Federation and Starfleet stand for.

For the Federation that flagship has always been a starship called the USS Enterprise. Every Enterprise has always been a guardian of galactic peace, been at the forefront of exploration, discovering new lifeforms, making contact with new civilizations. Boldly going where no one has gone before...
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
For the Federation that flagship has always been a starship called the USS Enterprise.
Technically I don't believe any Enterprise was referred to as a "Flagship" before the D in TNG.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-01-2012, 09:05 PM
We'll either get a variant that's the same quality as the Gladius or we'll get some miserable slovenly Sao Paulo type of work.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashenfox
I'm kinda disappointed if the c-store ship ends up being better than the anniversary one, even if it's just one higher rank boff or something. Obviously if the c-store one is better I will get it, and then what was the point of the anniversary ship It will just be discarded. I don't want to fly the flagship's inferior older sister. :/

Maybe they could make a 2nd anniversary skin unique to those who did the mission?

Ody Anniversary = BAIT