Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
In the wake of the passing of Davy Jones of the Monkees, I am musing over the cultural impact that he, and the original pre-fab(ricated) four of the baby Boom generation had beyond music or musical situation comedy.

Regarding the appearance of Ensign Chekov in Star Trek: "According to (Walter) Koenig, the character was added to add Davy Jones-like appeal to the show and that the Russian heritage was added by Roddenberry indeed because he wanted to honor the fact that the Russians were the first people in space. In his first couple of episodes, Koenig indeed wore a Monkees style wig to look more like Davy Jones."

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Pavel_Chekov
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Johnny Depp killed Davy Jones
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
My aim really sucks. I thought I posted this in Ten Forward. 'facepalm
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpa
I

Regarding the appearance of Ensign Chekov in Star Trek: "According to (Walter) Koenig, the character was added to add Davy Jones-like appeal to the show and that the Russian heritage was added by Roddenberry indeed because he wanted to honor the fact that the Russians were the first people in space.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Pavel_Chekov
The only thing different would be no Walter Koenig playing Chekov, without the Davy Jones hair. t could have been someone older still playing a Russian.

Roddenberry was an actual Communist, had a Communist Party card and everything. Humans are a communist society, So there is no doubt someone playing a Russian was inevitable on the show. It may of not been Koenig, but "Nuclear Wessels" would still have made it in the script.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Great. Now I can't get the image out of my head...

Peter Tork as Kirk, Michael Nesmith as Spock, and Mickey Dolenz as "Bones" McCoy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntman1138 View Post
Humans are a communist society
Oh boy, I fully expect you to be flamed about 100 different ways because of this single statement. I won't even go into how wrong you are, since I'm sure you'll read plenty of it.

Hope you brought your flamesuit.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Oh boy, I fully expect you to be flamed about 100 different ways because of this single statement. I won't even go into how wrong you are, since I'm sure you'll read plenty of it.

Yeah, I want to ignite the flamethrower on him… but… well… it isn’t fun to make fun of ignorant statements such as that. It would be similar to making fun of an American inner-city kid who didn’t know that Canada isn’t another State in the United States of America.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Great. Now I can't get the image out of my head...

Peter Tork as Kirk, Michael Nesmith as Spock, and Mickey Dolenz as "Bones" McCoy.
Thanks man! Now I can't get that image out of my head......LOL! Nesmith would've made a good Spock, wouldn't he? I can see Dolenz as Bones, too...hehe
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntman1138 View Post
The only thing different would be no Walter Koenig playing Chekov, without the Davy Jones hair. t could have been someone older still playing a Russian.

Roddenberry was an actual Communist, had a Communist Party card and everything. Humans are a communist society, So there is no doubt someone playing a Russian was inevitable on the show. It may of not been Koenig, but "Nuclear Wessels" would still have made it in the script.
Roddenberry wasn't a communist, he was a hippy, get it right!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis

On a colonial-era level that might have been a true statement, as things like the Fur Trade in the New World boiled down to a barter value system. When you're using a system of bartering in lieu of a currency, you essentially are working on a communistic or pseudo-communistic level (as whoever works for whatever goods is rewarded by having said goods). Otherwise no, world currency has evolved along a different path.

All of that said and all of that irrelevant to the subject at hand, I wonder if the Banana Splits are going to pay tribute.