Lt. Commander
# 21
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
It sounds like playable Romulans and Cardassians are coming to a grab bag near you. It also looks like the Jem'Hadar boff we were thinking would be the final reward for the current FEs might also include a playable Jem'Hadar captain.
Nothing sounds like Cardassians or Romulans from grab-bags, he said they are reserved for their factions (though those will probably never see the light of day.)
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
An ETA is not necessarily a specific date, it can simply be a time frame. For example, he mentioned we'd see the Tholians in 2012. They wont even give a year for the KDF, which is just sad.
The problem is, the Tholians can be accomplished with a 5 FEs, maybe less.

"Filling out the KDF faction" isn't as clear cut. How do you want Cryptic to do it? By quantity or quality?

Everyone has their own definition of what they consider content. Cryptic has theirs, you have yours, and I have mine. How much is enough content? Again everyone has their own definition.

They could go the same method as the Fed faction, shorter missions in arcs with patrols thrown in, or do you want a game play style from the KDF faction that differentiates its from levelling a Fed character?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWard1701 View Post

"Filling out the KDF faction" isn't as clear cut. How do you want Cryptic to do it? By quantity or quality?

Everyone has their own definition of what they consider content. Cryptic has theirs, you have yours, and I have mine. How much is enough content? Again everyone has their own definition.

They could go the same method as the Fed faction, shorter missions in arcs with patrols thrown in, or do you want a game play style from the KDF faction that differentiates its from levelling a Fed character?
this comment +1
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Still no ETA(not even a year) on KDF development. What a shame.
I agree. I don't expect to see the KDF update at all this year. I won't be terribly surprised if they don't do any development on it at all this year. I'm not trying to be a pessimist. This is just my opinion based on the statements made by the Devs. The KDF update has also been described as being on the table for 2012, something they would like to do in 2012, something that Cryptic was in discussions with PWE about as they figured out their plans for the year, etc.

My view has been, with each FE they release, they'll feel that they have one less KDF mission to develop. Their view appears to be that one mission per level is sufficient. Therefore, we may never actually see a KDF update because they believe the FEs fill in the mission gap for the KDF. The problem with that is, while the FEs are nice, they always seem to be built from a Starfleet point of view, and then they are altered to fit a KDF point of view. Sometimes it works, but often the Starfleet pov shines through. If they continue to go this route, I'd like to see them do some FEs that are designed from the KDF pov and then modified to fit the Federation.

My other complaint and concern is that they haven't been really consistent about what the update will be. I think it was StormShade that said the KDF will be a full fledged faction. However, nobody has defined what that will mean. That leaves the players to define it and set expectations. This is something different than "filling in levels 1-20." Dstahl's recent statements in one of the podcasts seem to be backing away from the idea of the KDF becomeing a "full fledged faction" or an equal faction, and they seem to be more in line with what he said under his previous tenure as EP, which was that he tries to do something for the KDF when he could, but he had a limited budget and time, and therefore, he had to get the most bang for his buck by releasing content that everyone could play (nevermind that they remastered two Federation only missions during that time period).

This is nitpicky, but in the past couple of weeks, Cryptic has had two Federation themed addtions to the C-Store (the DS9 pack and the Yellowstone shuttle). While the DS9 pack had weapons and some DOffs that could be used by Klingon players, the whole pack could be used by Federation characters. An upcoming C-Store release will have flagship variants for both factions, but that is followed up by a Galaxy class ship pack that appears to be Federation only. Again, it doesn't appear that they are trying to provide for the factions equally here.

It may be my faulty perception, but it appears that Cryptic has decided that it is sufficient now that the KDF has enough content to level from 20-50, and that the KDF faction can sink or swim with that. I think most people believe that if the KDF has any hope to attract more players and reduce the discrepency between the factions, then it has to be a full faction that starts at level 1 with its own tutorial and does not require someone to play a Federation character to level 20 first. They keep asking us to be patient, because they can't just snap their fingers and produce new Klingion content. I get that. However, it is frustrating to see the KDF constantly set aside in order to fulfill other goals.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWard1701 View Post

We dont have to speculate, because they already gave us their definition a long time ago. Essentially it is being able to fully level without grinding(aka same content over and over again). And yes, that obviously takes time. So figure out how much content is needed and at least give us a rough time frame. 2013, for example. Either way they need to get this figured out and stop constantly putting it off or it will never be resolved and there will never be other factions added.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
We dont have to speculate, because they already gave us their definition a long time ago. Essentially it is being able to level without grinding(aka same thing over and over again). And yes, that obviously takes time. So figure out how much content is needed and at least give us a rough time frame. 2013, for example. Either way they need to get this figured out and stop constantly putting it off or it will never be resolved and there will never be other factions added.
Obviously they have so much stuff to do that it would be hard to focus on KDF content..... but evading any solid answers to the issue isnīt going to help either.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
Snip
I think the "silly" part refers not only to Starfleet ships but all sorts of ships. Think of freaky ships, imaginary, such. Gomtuu could be in-game playable, but not a Gekli, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
An ETA is not necessarily a specific date, it can simply be a time frame. For example, he mentioned we'd see the Tholians in 2012. They wont even give a year for the KDF, which is just sad.
Look at it this way- every time they've given a hard deadline for the KDF something has come up and they've had to put it off. This way, they can work on it without the stress of a deadline and outcries if they miss it. We'll just end up being surprised when they bring the KDF up to speed.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Look at it this way- every time they've given a hard deadline for the KDF something has come up and they've had to put it off. This way, they can work on it without the stress of a deadline and outcries if they miss it. We'll just end up being surprised when they bring the KDF up to speed.
But it seems they are not even working on it right now. And itīs a lot of work that has to be done.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Look at it this way- every time they've given a hard deadline for the KDF something has come up and they've had to put it off.
I didnt say anything about a hard deadline.