Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
These are sci vessels.

Enterprise NCC-1701, edit <== ok this one was a Cruiser.

Enterprise NCC-1701-D,

USS Voyager (NCC-74656

Many more are NOT Cruisers according to cannon. They are sci vessels or exploration vessels. So was the flag ships.

Sci ships - http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Science_vessel

Scroll Down on the site and check out ship types.

They need to make sci ships the pre dominate way of PvE and PvP because it fits Star Trek, instead of burst damage being King like every other game. My opinion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Voyager wasn't really a science ship. Intrepids were designed to be really really fast, and that's about it. They're short-range scouts/couriers.

"Cruiser" is an ambiguous term anyway. You think the Akira, a ship nearly 500 meters long, is an "Escort"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
Voyager wasn't really a science ship. Intrepids were designed to be really really fast, and that's about it. They're short-range scouts/couriers.

"Cruiser" is an ambiguous term anyway. You think the Akira, a ship nearly 500 meters long, is an "Escort"?
Ah your confused... There are many different types of Sci Vessels.

# Nova-class
# Intrepid-class
# Oberth-class
# Miranda-clas

And cannon says it is a Sci Ship.

Also the Intrepid-class was considered to be the most technologically advanced out of all Starfleet's starship classes. Voyager is by far a sci ship.. It is a most advanced sci ship at that.. Source cannon

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Intrepid_class

The ship had a number of technological innovations that had become available in the 2370s: bio-neural circuitry, variable geometry warp nacelles, and an Emergency Medical Holographic program were only a few of Voyager's notable technical advancements. The vessel was also the first to test the class 9 warp drive in deep space.

You don't even need that to know its a sci vessel. If you just watch the show you will know it is a sci vessel. They say so in the series..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-06-2012, 06:21 PM
NCC-1701 was a heavy cruiser
NCC-1701-D was an Explorer

both had facilities for science labs, but neither was a science vessel. In your own link it specifically says science vessels are limited role vessels. Not multi-role vessels.
If your point is you enjoy science vessels that's cool. But limited role ships would never be ships-of-the-line able to be the predominant type of ship in a fleet.
As far as game mechanics, for PvE it really doesn't matter what ship you're in. If you want to be in an Intrepid go for it.
As far as end-game content, the way STF are structured- especially if you are in a PUG-you have to be able tank to stay alive and you have to be able to put out high DPS to finish the optional objectives. I don't recall ever seeing a science ship in a PUG STF. I did see several Intrepids get slaughtered doing Red Alerts. On the other hand- if you are in a fleet, or other pre-made group- you can be very effective with a science ship, performing its role.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
NCC-1701 was a heavy cruiser
NCC-1701-D was an Explorer

both had facilities for science labs, but neither was a science vessel. In your own link it specifically says science vessels are limited role vessels. Not multi-role vessels.
If your point is you enjoy science vessels that's cool. But limited role ships would never be ships-of-the-line able to be the predominant type of ship in a fleet.
As far as game mechanics, for PvE it really doesn't matter what ship you're in. If you want to be in an Intrepid go for it.
As far as end-game content, the way STF are structured- especially if you are in a PUG-you have to be able tank to stay alive and you have to be able to put out high DPS to finish the optional objectives. I don't recall ever seeing a science ship in a PUG STF. I did see several Intrepids get slaughtered doing Red Alerts. On the other hand- if you are in a fleet, or other pre-made group- you can be very effective with a science ship, performing its role.

Ah, in my link it lists those ships under sci vessels and says they are sci vessels, not sure what you mean by this limited tid bit.

I see USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) was a Federation Constitution-class heavy cruiser part.

Got that part though
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Your link has a list of OTHER starship types- not types of ships that would be identified as science ships. Science ship is a TYPE of starship. It does not identify any of the Enterprises as science ships- nor would it.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/NCC-1701
"The USS Enterprise was a Constition class HEAVY CRUISER"

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_...se_(NCC-1701-D)
"The USS Enterpise (NCC-1701-D) was a Galaxy-class EXPLORER..."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
Your link has a list of OTHER starship types- not types of ships that would be identified as science ships. Science ship is a TYPE of starship. It does not identify any of the Enterprises as science ships- nor would it.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/NCC-1701
"The USS Enterprise was a Constition class HEAVY CRUISER"

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_...se_(NCC-1701-D)
"The USS Enterpise (NCC-1701-D) was a Galaxy-class EXPLORER..."
That is because there are different types of sci ships...

All these

* Federation science vessel
o Nova-class
o Intrepid-class
o Oberth-class
o Miranda-class
* Frunalian science vessel
* Monean research vessel
* Romulan science vessel
* Voth research vessel
* Vulcan science vessel
o Vulcan science vessel (22nd century)
o Vulcan science vessel (24th century)

In the link are under Science vessels by race. They are sci vessels according to the site. If the ship is in this link than the site is saying it is a sci vessel. I click threw these links and picked a ship, the first one I find is The Nova-class was designed as a science and scout vessel.

I see in general what you were saying to quote

"In starship classification, a science vessel (or research vessel) was a limited-role starship. It was not well armed, but instead carried several laboratories, advanced sensors, and in some cases, advanced deflector shields."

My point was is the ships listed threw the links are being called sci ship on the website.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlore View Post
Ah your confused... There are many different types of Sci Vessels.

# Nova-class
# Intrepid-class
# Oberth-class
# Miranda-clas

And cannon says it is a Sci Ship.

Also the Intrepid-class was considered to be the most technologically advanced out of all Starfleet's starship classes. Voyager is by far a sci ship.. It is a most advanced sci ship at that.. Source cannon

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Intrepid_class

The ship had a number of technological innovations that had become available in the 2370s: bio-neural circuitry, variable geometry warp nacelles, and an Emergency Medical Holographic program were only a few of Voyager's notable technical advancements. The vessel was also the first to test the class 9 warp drive in deep space.

You don't even need that to know its a sci vessel. If you just watch the show you will know it is a sci vessel. They say so in the series..
All because it was dedicated "GO REALLY FAST" ship. Just because something is technologically advanced doesn't mean it's primary role is science. Could it perform science functions? Of course. Every Federation ship (Bar Defiant) is supposed to have at least rudimentary scientific and diplomatic facilities. But think about it. Every time we see an Intrepid (except Voyager), what's it being used for? It's speed. Bellerophon being a perfect example of this, being used as a high-speed courier during the war. When Voyager was first launched, what did they use her for? They sent her into the badlands to rout out the Maquis. Doesn't sound like something they'd send a "science ship" to do, sounds like something the'd send a scout to do.

Intrepids are fast scouts. They have advanced sensors because your scout has to have eyes. They have high speed because your scout has to be able to run away. Intrepids exhibit all the signs of the "eyes of the fleet" from a military standpoint.

Remember that while Starfleet ships may not be primarily warships, they still need to fall into military classifications. An Intrepid's fleet classification would no doubt be that of a scout. Because that's what it'd be good at. But even in peacetime, courier runs and light scientific duties would probably be what it'd be occupied with most of the time. It's not a "science ship".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
All because it was dedicated "GO REALLY FAST" ship. Just because something is technologically advanced doesn't mean it's primary role is science. Could it perform science functions? Of course. Every Federation ship (Bar Defiant) is supposed to have at least rudimentary scientific and diplomatic facilities. But think about it. Every time we see an Intrepid (except Voyager), what's it being used for? It's speed. Bellerophon being a perfect example of this, being used as a high-speed courier during the war. When Voyager was first launched, what did they use her for? They sent her into the badlands to rout out the Maquis. Doesn't sound like something they'd send a "science ship" to do, sounds like something the'd send a scout to do.

Intrepids are fast scouts. They have advanced sensors because your scout has to have eyes. They have high speed because your scout has to be able to run away. Intrepids exhibit all the signs of the "eyes of the fleet" from a military standpoint.

Remember that while Starfleet ships may not be primarily warships, they still need to fall into military classifications. An Intrepid's fleet classification would no doubt be that of a scout. Because that's what it'd be good at. But even in peacetime, courier runs and light scientific duties would probably be what it'd be occupied with most of the time. It's not a "science ship".
You can find allot of different uses for something that is not the main design of a ship. And depending if they are short of ships in a certain area then they might very well use a flexible ship.

The Nova-class was designed as a science and scout vessel. You have some imaginary rule that if it is a scout then it can't be classified as a sci vessel and that is not true. There are many different types of sci vessels.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
How do you imagine the Nova being a scout when it's barely capable of Warp 8? A slow scout is a dead scout. It's even stated on-screen that Novas are short-range ships designed for science work relatively close to the core worlds. It's capable of defending itself damn well for a ship of it's size and type, but it's definitely the farthest from a scout you can get. A scout needs to be fast, and a Nova is anything but.

I'm not saying an Intrepid can't perform scientific duties, but it's not a "science ship". You need to remember that Feddie ships have a "Public Relations" classification and a "Military" classification. In that effect, EVERY Federation ship is a "science ship" and a "ship built for exploration". But when the tribble manure hits the plasma induction turbine, they've all got specific military roles to fill. An Intrepid's being a fast scout.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.