Lt. Commander
# 1 Network card problems
03-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi all. I have Win 7 64 with a "802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter" from Lite-On Technology and periodically while I'm playing my network card will disable itself. I have to run the troubleshooter and it fixes it every time, but I'm getting tired of being in an STF and getting disconnected. The real kicker is, the ~only~ time my NIC farts out is when I'm playing a Cryptic game, STO or Champions. At ~no~ other point in any other online game (wow, random fps) do I get disconnected. Anyone have any clue as to how to prevent me from getting NIC'd to death?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, it makes sense that your Cryptic games are dc'ing you as they are very, and I mean very bandwidth intensive. For example, I play over an incredibly fast connection, yet at times, I too get the boot. I suppose you could chock it up to Cryptic's dev's didn't code it right or need to fix a few things. That being said, issues like the one you're experiencing are typically caused by lags or generic packet loss which can result in a dc from STO for example. At times when I dc, I too have to click the troubleshooter to engage my card and log back in. Yes, I too have the same card as you.

Also, some days are worse than others, hence the reason you were getting the boot the other night. Course then again this is all conjecture. I'll look into it, see if there's something going on with the drivers, etc... Which reminds me, which version of DirectX are you running?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
DX 11. I always wondered if it was my NIC and router not getting along. If I use WPA of any sorts I get dc'd like that from any/everything, even when not even using anything internet related. I am forced to use WEP which is fine, but I may even drop to no security to see if that helps...