Lt. Commander
# 31
03-02-2012, 06:44 AM
I notice the same problem everyday when doing stf's, very rarely does anyone speak in chat

I always say hi to everyone, but no one replies, I try and help people by saying they shouldn't do x/y/z, but they don't reply or change their behaviour

so I can only assume they have chat minimized or they just don't read or care.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Nothing wrong with closing the chat window, once somebody starts to kicking off because the bonus is gone, sombody is in a ship somebody else does not approve of, or the fave , a probe got through the gate, the first thing i do is minimise the window........save me having to read the ensuing verbal diahorrea that then spouts from their mouths............because after the 20th time it gets old. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I (almost) never say anything during an STF for 3 reasons :

1) Sometimes, the chat window doesn't seem to work properly. I type my message but once i hit the return key, I get a weird error message saying something about being in the wrong chat session or something like this with a long number after that. Kinda like I'm not in the good instance maybe or whatever.

2) Sometimes, I don't have the time : I'm always pushing buttons during an STF and sometimes I have my hands full. It's because I use the autofire, which gave me more time to concentrate on my powers cycles and now I'm always casting my spells. Well, you see what I mean.

3) Sometimes, the situation is beyond communication, like you have ten nanites thingies approaching a generator. And there you are, tractor-beaming, quantum-torpedoing, beam overloading all of them, while your so-called teamates are all just sitting on their hands or aggroing even more mobs. And then you have three spheres coming out of NOWHERE, who just shoot at YOU, yes YOU and just YOU, of course YOU since they probably didn't even notice the 4 parasites who are just letting you do all THEIR job. And then you die. And the optional is lost. And no one gives a damn. AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Frankly, in such dire circonstances, it's better to keep my mouth shut

But I often type "GG" once the STF is over. I know it's useless but I feel like I have to. Because you know, it's a MMO, a somewhat "social" game, so I feel like I have to acknowledge that one way or another.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
"Dude...stop firing on the gateway and help us with the Tactical Cube."

No reply.
That's usually me. If I don't have aggro on the tac cube and it's an elite and we still have time left for the optional, then I focus down the gateway first because it's less hassle (done right, it won't shoot back, and it won't be there for taking potshots at you while you're taking down the cube in the off-chance you all get drawn into aggro range of the gateway). Honestly, if you've pulled aggro on the tac cube and the gateway isn't already blown, you're doing it wrong.

But then again, I'm generally the lone player who chats it up during a STF, particularly if nobody else is talking. I'm even somewhat prone to chatting it up at the expense of paying attention to the game, especially if nobody else is talking, we've failed the optional due to the time limit, and the mission is still taking too damn long.

EDIT: Clarification, I have a very simple approach to determining whether or not my teammates know what they're doing: if anyone dies within the first minute or so of the STF, it's time to break out the instructions in team chat. If not, then I assume you all know what you're doing. That thought process extends into watching what people are using for their loadouts and how they're playing, and if they're not using what they should be, break out the instructions. This is a bit harder to gauge, but non-participation in team chat doesn't mean people are automatically idiots, it might just mean that they're not in the mood to chat it up, or can't type 120wpm like me .
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I (almost) never say anything during an STF for 3 reasons :

1) Sometimes, the chat window doesn't seem to work properly. I type my message but once i hit the return key, I get a weird error message saying something about being in the wrong chat session or something like this with a long number after that. Kinda like I'm not in the good instance maybe or whatever.
If that happens change channels and then switch back to team. It could mean you are still linked with the last team you were on via chat. It just needs to reset the chat for team. Or if that does not work, switch to zone chat.

Yes no one talks via pug. Thats why I use fleet or the elite channel to get a group going. Communication works better then. I mean some STF you have to talk. Like Infected ground. I don't see how you can't talk. You need to organize who will hit the consoles etc. I was in one where no one was talking and there were 3 of us at the consoles, two of us hit it, and the third stood there and just shot borg. I jumped up and down in front of him, yelled, nothing got his attention. Yeah we lost.

As far as people getting ticked about loosing the optional...why? When was the last time you got a good optional loot drop? Ohhh a blue polar on gun Mk X. Oh that was so worth all the injury healing it took to blast our way through to it.

But back to communication, I think you need it at the beginning, to see who will do what. Then maybe at the boss. Like Donatra you don't need to talk. Just shoot. Armek and rebecca you should plan.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
I don't get it. More than players in any other game, the majority of STO players will not communicate in groups.

Today, lack of communication resulted in losing bonus objectives twice (!) in normal-mode space STFs, and a ground STF was a nightmarish 25 minutes where the group members weren't even in the same part of the instance, let alone cooperating.

First, the ground STF: It was absolutely intolerable. One teammate ran around face-pulling every group in the instance. She was a Sci officer with 230 HP at VA...running into groups of five Borg, then dying and leaving the aggro on us, or running away and leaving us to deal with the face-pull. This player did not respond to any attempts to communicate. An Engi officer on the team would often pull a second group after the Sci officer face-pulled a first...so we'd have two groups of Borg bearing down on us.

It was a re-spawn fest. After 25 minutes I bounced...I tried, I really did, but the group was not going to finish the mission.

Then there was Infected Space. Lost the bonus both times tonight despite playing on normal. Tried communicating with a pair of teammates in the first run-through, who were firing on the gateway.

"Hey guys, we've gotta destroy the generators first."

No reply.

"Hey guys, we can't actually do any damage to the gateway unless we take down the transformers."

No reply.

"Dude...stop firing on the gateway and help us with the Tactical Cube."

No reply.

Between these players, and the players who park on top of the Kang in Cure and AFK, most of these games come down to two or three players actively participating, while two or three do not.

I'll stop ranting now, but for the love of God let's have an end-game group threshold a la Rift, and some form of vote-kick or vote-abandon feature so once in a while, if all the stars align and a miracle happens, we can have occasional games where all five players cooperate.
its noted since i did my frist STF since my return a few weeks ago, hardly anyone writes a damn thing, if it is its usually a pointer that everyone knows or plain old insults (as if an insult did anything, fail to see why players insult anyway).

i usually dont respond unless directed to do something or someone needing some info in STF, only has that happened 3 times out of about 60-80 times i must of done it by now over the past few weeks. about 80% of those STFs have had failed optional objectives as well. but i dont take it personally at all, infact i find it funny in a sense, its basically like saying 'these people shoot themselves in the foot deliberatly, their loss'. as long as the mission is done and i get that chip, i really couldnt care less.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
If that happens change channels and then switch back to team. It could mean you are still linked with the last team you were on via chat. It just needs to reset the chat for team. Or if that does not work, switch to zone chat.
Alternatively, start you message with /team and it will send your chat to teamchat.

The lack of communications is a problem. A friend and I love to play STFs and we have no problem teaching new comers on how to do them. But whey they don't listen, it just becomes a nightmare.

"Don't respawn, even if you fall in the plasma, we can revive you."
<a minute later, someone respawns>
"...."
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Theories:

-Typing: I'm busy controlling my starship. No time to type instructions.
-Speaking: Not everyone has a mic.
-Speaking again: STO's built in voice chat system is not reliable enough (and I have good sound card, so equipment is not the excuse).
-Speaking Redux: Teamspeak and Ventrilo are a pain in the ***.
-And then finally... people are annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Teamspeak works pretty good, but only if you are in the same channel.

What I really don't understand is when someone invites you to a team then says nothing in team. I mean at least you can see on the map where the other friendlies are easier then, but still.

I am still in the low level STF's and only recently have graduated from my starting miranda, so I usually just watch to see where others are going and follow their lead.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylonus
it happen alot very recent.
i tried elite mission in cured space, and all failed on optionals, and later i discovered they are sit next to kang farming all those incoming borg raptors for the drops.

i am kinda new, replaying since last dec 2011, been gone for almost 2 yrs, this game been getting lot of fixes, but still finding so many more problems.
i was trying to get (in hope for very rare purple borg drops), now that seem non-exist because all those failed optional had not completed, or they all suddenly rolled "Need", my chance of winning it is very small.

it is very demoralizing and losing faith or playing Star Trek because of greed or exploits they discovered and not reported.
You are telling the honest to god TRUTH.

These days, it's not at all uncommon (in fact, I've come to expect it) to zone into The Cure to find 4 disco Odysseys (for the uninitiated, a 'Disco Odyssey' refers to a config where someone has outfit it with one of every beam type available, rendering it useless) all jockeying to sit on top of the Kang and blast incoming Klinks, leaving me, in my Defiant, to go aggro the three sets of cubes on my own. Repeated calls for some kind of involvement from the rest of the team are almost always met with silence. Of course, they 'need' on all the loot drops. I have still managed to get the most optional successes on this mission somehowm, despite the fact that it is a magnet for AFK'ers.

Then there's Infected. Usually it's the same Disco Odyssey story, but not always. Infected tends to attract the players that don't give a crap about teamwork, but would rather just blast mindlessly away at whatever draws their attention. Usually it's the center gate, or the nanite generators, but seldom are they ever shooting at what they SHOULD be shooting at. Nor do they want your opinion on what they should be shooting at. I don't think if I've ever seen an optional succeed on this with non-fleet PuGs.

And of course I would be remiss if I did not mention Khitomer Accord. You would think this would be an easy mission - in fact, Elite is even easier than Normal mode. Stop the probes from going through the portal while blowing up both sets of gates. All it really takes is one or two players with good loadouts covering either side of the map running probe patrol and helping the rest of the players nuke the gates in between probe exterminating runs. But this mission really seems to attract the AFKers and aggro'ers. Two days ago I was in it and had one guy in a Bortas sitting right in front of the portal IGNORING THE PROBES as they flew past him and into it. I then realized that these probes were coming from the SAME SIDE OF THE MAP WHERE EVERYONE WAS - in other words, the entire PuG was blasting mindlessly away at just one gate, ignoring probes, while the guy who had apparently appointed himself 'portal guardian' (he never spoke) decided to take a nap at the wheel. Leaving me in my Defiant to try to defeat all the probes coming from both sides of the map AND take down the gate that everyone was ignoring. Not only did we fail the optional, we failed the ENTIRE STF. I have never seen an optional win on this map.

So, yes, vote to kick, vote to abort, and maybe even an 'execute for incompetence' button would be a glorious (and much needed) addition to the game.