Lt. Commander
# 41
03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I (almost) never say anything during an STF for 3 reasons :

1) Sometimes, the chat window doesn't seem to work properly. I type my message but once i hit the return key, I get a weird error message saying something about being in the wrong chat session or something like this with a long number after that. Kinda like I'm not in the good instance maybe or whatever.
<snip>
This ^^. The ammount of people I speak to who have difficulty with the team channel when auto-teamed is staggering. I think if Cryptic can't be bothered to fix this bug, they should at least announce the work around so everybody knows about it.

If you change channel to "zone" then back to "team" it often clears up, nearly always works for me. I think this tiny little thing is responsible for a great deal of the lack of communication. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of Leeroy Jenkins out there who're just idiots who think they can Kirk their way through everything and screw the team trying to use the 10% method on Infected or whatever.

But please Cryptic, fix this.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tip about the communication bug, I'll try the workaround asap.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
Amen, 75% of all STFs are a pain. On entry, I greet my teammates and ask what strategy they prefer. If no one says anything, I just hope they are just bored and now the drill. When they respond, its all nice and we can talk, instruct the ones who don't know etc.

But I'm tired of all those mute PUGs where people struggling to defend the Kang in Cure Normal with 4 players or split the team in infected and start dual-nanite-spawn etc.

I always try to communicate and help, as I am no pro-gamer myself. But if no one bothers to even say "hi" I really stop caring.
I am coming across more and more groups like this where they split immediately after blowing up the initial cube and spheres. Annoys me, because I know the optional is gone before we even start, but oh well. It's not like I need anything that drops in the optional grab bag except for EDC's and Salvage.

Cure Normal I find is the easiest, even if someone wanders off to do their own thing.. I keep an eye on the BoP spawn and help out killing nanites/cubes when I can.

Idlers bother me though. Only encountered one so far, thankfully.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
You are telling the honest to god TRUTH.

These days, it's not at all uncommon (in fact, I've come to expect it) to zone into The Cure to find 4 disco Odysseys (for the uninitiated, a 'Disco Odyssey' refers to a config where someone has outfit it with one of every beam type available, rendering it useless) all jockeying to sit on top of the Kang and blast incoming Klinks, leaving me, in my Defiant, to go aggro the three sets of cubes on my own. Repeated calls for some kind of involvement from the rest of the team are almost always met with silence. Of course, they 'need' on all the loot drops. I have still managed to get the most optional successes on this mission somehowm, despite the fact that it is a magnet for AFK'ers.

Then there's Infected. Usually it's the same Disco Odyssey story, but not always. Infected tends to attract the players that don't give a crap about teamwork, but would rather just blast mindlessly away at whatever draws their attention. Usually it's the center gate, or the nanite generators, but seldom are they ever shooting at what they SHOULD be shooting at. Nor do they want your opinion on what they should be shooting at. I don't think if I've ever seen an optional succeed on this with non-fleet PuGs.

And of course I would be remiss if I did not mention Khitomer Accord. You would think this would be an easy mission - in fact, Elite is even easier than Normal mode. Stop the probes from going through the portal while blowing up both sets of gates. All it really takes is one or two players with good loadouts covering either side of the map running probe patrol and helping the rest of the players nuke the gates in between probe exterminating runs. But this mission really seems to attract the AFKers and aggro'ers. Two days ago I was in it and had one guy in a Bortas sitting right in front of the portal IGNORING THE PROBES as they flew past him and into it. I then realized that these probes were coming from the SAME SIDE OF THE MAP WHERE EVERYONE WAS - in other words, the entire PuG was blasting mindlessly away at just one gate, ignoring probes, while the guy who had apparently appointed himself 'portal guardian' (he never spoke) decided to take a nap at the wheel. Leaving me in my Defiant to try to defeat all the probes coming from both sides of the map AND take down the gate that everyone was ignoring. Not only did we fail the optional, we failed the ENTIRE STF. I have never seen an optional win on this map.

So, yes, vote to kick, vote to abort, and maybe even an 'execute for incompetence' button would be a glorious (and much needed) addition to the game.

Disco Odyssey! LOL! I call them Rainbow Failboats.

Of course, my mentioning Rainbow to a friend of mine made her go out and trick out her free Odyssey with rainbow beams, and call it the USS NYANDESSY .. thankfully she doesn't take THAT thing into STFs with her.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
A lot of people seem to be scared to speak in groups no matter what. SOME of them may well not speak English, which is fine and all, but the rest just have that issue. A few probably just want to be a Troll. Like anyone who flies anything besides a top tier ship.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I do the job and watch for people making huge mistakes and attempt to fix it for them. I don't order anyone around and I don't take kindly to those who try to order me around unless I know you and have my respect.

Too many stupid people barking at others when they themselves suck arse makes STF meh.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Thanks for the tip about the communication bug, I'll try the workaround asap.
Also note that using any other chat channel (Fleet, Doffjobs, etc) bugs it again, at least for me.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokecan View Post
Disco Odyssey! LOL! I call them Rainbow Failboats.

Of course, my mentioning Rainbow to a friend of mine made her go out and trick out her free Odyssey with rainbow beams, and call it the USS NYANDESSY .. thankfully she doesn't take THAT thing into STFs with her.
My freebie Odyssey was christened the 'USS SHIP OF WIN' and outfit with one of every turret type and no torpedoes. It looks like one of Q's party poppers when it fires and does almost no damage to its targets.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
My freebie Odyssey was christened the 'USS SHIP OF WIN' and outfit with one of every turret type and no torpedoes. It looks like one of Q's party poppers when it fires and does almost no damage to its targets.
I was trying to talk her into turrets so she can call it the USS Skittles .. and have everyone Taste the Rainbow.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I rarely communicate during an STF because I find it too distracting. :p