Lt. Commander
# 1 NX Class Replica Thoughts
03-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I've been watching the newer TV Series recently so I decided to save up my Dilithium and get the NX Replica.

I just want to get other peoples opinion on it, don't get me wrong I've got it outfitted with Mk XI gear and its fun to fly around, but it feels underpowered to me.

In the show, it had forward and rear torpedo tubes in addition to 2 fore phase cannons and a rear phase cannon. That makes it a Lt. Cmdr. ship in my book if not higher. I just feel that it is a bit too limited by the Ensign rank officer slots and the low number of weapon bays.

If they added in a new one called like the NX Refit or something I wouldn't mind paying more for a slightly more... usable... ship
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2012, 07:17 AM
it would also have been nice if the bundle had included the phase pistol weapon... after all, the TOS bundle included a classic phaser!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
The NX is a T1 ship. Within the game it is as powerful as a TOS Connie, an Oberth, and a Miranda - all 3 of those ships are one to two generations past the NX. I have no problem with where it is at within the game hierarchy.

The NX Refit was supposed to look like THIS. I wouldn't mind that being in the game as a T2 choice, either.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Cosmic_one the link you posted for the ENT Enterprise is broken or something.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuxtapuestoelmono
Cosmic_one the link you posted for the ENT Enterprise is broken or something.
That was weird. It was working fine then stopped. Hopefully it will work now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2012, 07:53 AM
It's not an actual NX-class ship. It's a Replica. I never understood the argument that it's supposedly a 200 year old ship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
It's not an actual NX-class ship. It's a Replica. I never understood the argument that it's supposedly a 200 year old ship.
Thus, basically it is a state-of-the-art-vessel just with the shape and look of an older one. Like building a metal-gleaming caravel and paint it in wood tones.

I'm no engineer. Can you just take the shape of sth. and put completely different technology into it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
Thus, basically it is a state-of-the-art-vessel just with the shape and look of an older one. Like building a metal-gleaming caravel and paint it in wood tones.

I'm no engineer. Can you just take the shape of sth. and put completely different technology into it?
I would imagine the limitations on the NX being a T1 ship have to do with CBS rather then Cryptic or Starfleet technology.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I would imagine the limitations on the NX being a T1 ship have to do with CBS rather then Cryptic or Starfleet technology.
Agreed. But if you remember, a lot of the arguments from players, the outrage was because of it's supposed age.

Frankly, I'd love to see it as a T5 variant of some sort. But the odds of that are about on par with the T5 Connie, I think. Still, a 2409 reskin of the basic frame would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I think the main point of contention is that if the NX class can be made competitive with a new top of the line ship, then it begs the question as to why Starfleet bothered designing so many ships if the basic space-frame didn't actually have to change to get the benefit of newer technology.

The assumption implicit in the "200 year old" argument is that even a new NX hull right out of the fleet yards made with modern materials, will be limited in that it wouln't incorporate the advances to hull geometry that have been devised over the intervening years, and that modern systems may not fit (it is a pretty small ship).