Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think it's, realistically, that they probably planned to spend a year or so transitioning to F2P. And had that happened, they could have brought new hires in. The way it panned out, new hires only would have gotten in the way and gotten burned out. So they put off hiring up until F2P, which delayed everything else.
I'm not sure what you mean. The F2P transition did take about a year, so the new hires would have gotten burned out either way. Don't forget that the game couldn't really start generating much money for them until the F2p transition was complete, so that meant the hiring freeze was going to last at least until F2P STO started generating enough money to justify any hiring.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
There is a difference between "more" and "more than"... it said "more" not "more than"...

They will be doing more FEs...additional FEs.

Not that they will be doing more FEs per year than previously.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
I'm not sure what you mean. The F2P transition did take about a year, so the new hires would have gotten burned out either way. Don't forget that the game couldn't really start generating much money for them until the F2p transition was complete, so that meant the hiring freeze was going to last at least until F2P STO started generating enough money to justify any hiring.
I mean a year later than when they actually did it. My feeling is, they started it, prepared to do it sometime between August and December 2012 while doing other things.

Atari cut off their money and staffing. PWE brought money back in but the tradeoff was that their timetable got accelerated for F2P, which meant that they couldn't DO anything with that money yet, in large measure. It helped somewhat that Neverwinter got pushed back by PWE.

They were down people last March. Atari forced them to stop their job searches. PWE came in and this allowed them to resume those searches... But they didn't have the resources to start interviewing people until February. The reason why the Podcasters got hired pre-F2P launch is because they were visible and a known commodity.

I know there are people at Cryptic who were really hungry to get applicants with tons of experience when they resumed hiring under PWE but, despite being a high turnover field, most game designers aren't leaving their old jobs casually.

So given a lot of applicants who seemed like an X-factor, they needed to get F2P done and the basics of Neverwinter in place before they could devote time to training people. That meant that, for the most part, anybody who applied in the last year who they had at least mild interest in didn't even get seriously considered until after STO went F2P.

There's been at least one STO content position open for close to a year that JUST GOT FILLED after a lot of people (including some of the forum posters here) only started interviewing for after F2P.

It was a vacancy that couldn't be filled, at first because of money, and later because of time required for training. In the end, the buzz I've heard is that they looked at a lot of Foundry authors and community members but managed to nab a serious game design vet. But even now, it will take a few weeks to get them out there, a month or two to train (cutting into existing devs' time), and that person may or may not work out, as that first six months seems to be the testing ground at Cryptic.

You either make that six months (and they've had a lot of floating hires who "flunk out of boot camp") or you don't. The good thing is, once somebody does, they tend to become a longterm ficture at Cryptic, moreso than most game companies. And that's good because turnover KILLS productivity and DEVOURS profits.

Having a dev position constantly in training who drops out and gets replaced is worse than having no dev at all in a position, as near as I'd guess.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Well I only remember 1 FE series last year, but that aside i think there a couple of things to remember.

1) They said 2-3 FE series. I know people like to stick to 2 as it was the more certain number of the two but there may be 3. Al also said that stephen is someone who likes to be very cautious and under promises. Its possible that 3 is near certain but he did not want to promise, or the actual results might be 3 and possibly 4, he was just playing it very safe. Assuming the keep hiring and dont lose anyone they may be able to make more as the year progresses. The success of F2P will also be a factor. is its a great success or a mild one. can they find the people they need or not. will existing people get bored of their jobs and move on?

2) we are getting some Klingons episodes. There is one close to being finsihed and they have said they want to do more. at this stage nothing is confirmed as to what that will be as they are playing it very close to their chest but a Klingon only episode would be the same as a FE. but they are not called FE. If we got 15 FE and 10 klingon episodes that would be same as 5 FE series. i know we have very little information to work with but only saying 2-3 FE means nothing if you dont know how much other stuff they plan to produce.

3) continuing from that point they have also said they want to look at other types of content. They seem to like the whole event thing and the new task forces are proving fairly popular so they may spend more time making them. If they made another 3 task forces and 3 events, how many FE does that equate too? What about pvp. we have had next to no pvp additions at all. not everybody plays it but a significant pvp update is still content.

people are latching onto this comment of 2 FE without knowing what else they plan to make or in what quantities. everything must always be taken in context and i'm afraid 2-3 FE a year only tells a fraction of the story.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
1) Your quote is from September of last year.

2) 2 FEs is more than the ONE FE we had last year. The other 2 were in 2010.
You are correct, so I rephrased:

So 2 FEs in an entire year is more than 3 FEs in half a year?

The 1st episode of the 1st FE was at the end of Aug 2010 and the last episode of Series 3 was at the beginning of March 2011. So that was 3 FEs in approx 6 months.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You are correct, so I rephrased:

So 2 FEs in an entire year is more than 3 FEs in half a year?

The 1st episode of the 1st FE was at the end of Aug 2010 and the last episode of Series 3 was at the beginning of March 2011. So that was 3 FEs in approx 6 months.
2 FEs in a year is more than none in a year.

More != More Than.

All it said was more. It did not say more than. You're reading it as more than, but that is not what was stated.

If you're at a restaurant and a waitress asks if you would like more coffee - is it a case that she refills your cup with more coffee or does she bring you two new mugs so that you have more than you did previously? She simply gives you more coffee...additional coffee.

The quote simply stated there would be more...additional...FEs. It did not state that they were going to be doing more FEs in a given period compared to a previous period.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
2 FEs in a year is more than none in a year.

More != More Than.

All it said was more. It did not say more than. You're reading it as more than, but that is not what was stated.

If you're at a restaurant and a waitress asks if you would like more coffee - is it a case that she refills your cup with more coffee or does she bring you two new mugs so that you have more than you did previously? She simply gives you more coffee...additional coffee.

The quote simply stated there would be more...additional...FEs. It did not state that they were going to be doing more FEs in a given period compared to a previous period.
Just so we're clear, are you actually saying you think that the point SS was making in that post was that they are simply going to continue doing what they were already doing and that many people were not satisfied with rather than meaning they are going to increase the amount of the things he mentioned?

If they were just going to keep doing more of the same and not increasing the amount why would he say they were increasing the size of their team?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just so we're clear, are you actually saying you think that the point SS was making in that post was that they are simply going to continue doing what they were already doing and that many people were not satisfied with rather than meaning they are going to increase the amount of the things he mentioned?

If they were just going to keep doing more of the same and not increasing the amount why would he say they were increasing the size of their team?
You linked the reply. Did you read the OP? The reply was to the OP. So yes, taken in context rather than out of context - they were simply stating that they were going to make more content.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Beyond the post from StormShade that Nagus linked to, Dstahl and others sure did paint a picture last year that we could expect a pretty regular stream of FE series (ranging from 5-10 per year). Given the context of the Dev communications we got last year, I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to expect there would be more than 2 series per year, especially given that was what so many players have been clamoring for.

There has always been some roadblock in the way of them rolling out the content, and when that roadblock is overcome, the plans change. Stephen said he was okay with the players being skeptical of their ability to produce. We've all hit them over the head about the long content drought last year. They have to prove they can do it. The current FE series is a nice step in the right direction, but I'm not putting any faith in any plan they announce until I see it on the calendar. It isn't worth the frustration anymore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinosOne
Beyond the post from StormShade that Nagus linked to, Dstahl and others sure did paint a picture last year that we could expect a pretty regular stream of FE series (ranging from 5-10 per year). Given the context of the Dev communications we got last year, I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to expect there would be more than 2 series per year, especially given that was what so many players have been clamoring for.

There has always been some roadblock in the way of them rolling out the content, and when that roadblock is overcome, the plans change. Stephen said he was okay with the players being skeptical of their ability to produce. We've all hit them over the head about the long content drought last year. They have to prove they can do it. The current FE series is a nice step in the right direction, but I'm not putting any faith in any plan they announce until I see it on the calendar. It isn't worth the frustration anymore.
This.

The STO team has a hole about the size of the Grand Canyon to fill in regarding player trust.

My next billing date is coming up in a couple of days. I'm seriously considering going F2P until that trust is earned again.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.