Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Duh... Increase power output to the Deflector field so the field itself is right on the edge of the warp bubble. that way the particles are pushed aside and fly on past.

I mean really it isn't that had.

( and if anyone could not tell. you should not be taking me serious on my replys )
Just reverse the polarity.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
Just reverse the polarity.
Bounce A Graviton Particle Beam Off The Main Deflector Dish..
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Sonic antiBoom?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't like this argument at all. The theoretical warp drive is supposed to create a bubble around a ship, bending the fabric of the universe around it. How could something that exists in the universe interact with something bent outside the universe? This makes no sense to me. This thing should be able to fly through a planet without interacting with it the way it's phrased.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Bounce A Graviton Particle Beam Off The Main Deflector Dish..
create a static warp shell.

job done.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
One of the fun things about an Alcubierre drive is that anything inside the bubble is causally separated from the bubble as well as anything outside. The bubble actually is your "deflector" - nothing outside can have an effect on your ship until the bubble is broken.

Another fun thing is that, because the inside is causally separated from the bubble, it has to be created and broken from the outside. It's more like a warp gate than a warp drive, there needs to be hardware in place at your destination to stop or they won't have to worry about the blast of particles coming out when the bubble breaks, the bubble will just smash into and through the planet. The ship will of course be fine nothing outside or hitting the bubble can have an effect inside, but the planet... well, I'd like to see theories on exactly what will happen then.

Edit: The sad part is, this side effect might be the thing that gets warp research funded some day.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The ship will of course be fine nothing outside or hitting the bubble can have an effect inside, but the planet... well, I'd like to see theories on exactly what will happen then.
There's a youtube video for that.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Well they forgot to factor in the forward deflector array that will keep particles away from the ship, and warp bubble...

I mean really. These people are in the science field but they forgot to factor in deflector technology what a munch of newbs
I have to concur, Zodi-emish pretty much summed up the entire Quote in the OP! LoL :p

Thumbs up for trial and error science!

Now remember folks, always check you have a deflector array installed (before Tuesday) before warping out of the Sol System or Qo'noS!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
the article still dosnt say what would happen if breaks are not installed

Warp 9 into a planet dosnt sound good to me.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-02-2012, 06:35 PM
So, the particles get released and punch everything to oblivion..

The ship has to stop when it reaches the destination.. true. But, it doesn't need to stop all of a sudden. If the particles could sweep in the bubble (as the theory says) and get released when it stops, then they are also moving at super-iluminal speeds. So.. maybe a solution could be to try and decrease the speed gradually once the destination is getting close, so that everything inside the bubble (including the particles), can decrease it's speed too. Allowing for a safe stop.

This seems so easy that I'm probably only saying garbage