Lt. Commander
# 1 Lvl 47 noob endgame questions
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Somehow I managed to get to level 47, but probably 20 levels is from Duty Officers so I still feel like a total newb and I know almost nothing about endgame PvE. I am not interested in PvP.

So, I have read about STFs and they sound like fun. I dont want to be a complete gimped noob idiot that dooms my team to failure. Can someone give me basic idea what level of gear I should have on my ship to be able to meaningfully contribute to one of these harder group space missions?

Currently I run a cruiser with 3 forward phaser beam arrays (MK 9ish) and a forward transphaisic torpedo.
Rear has 2 (MK 10 or 11) phaser beam arrays, plasma torpedo and trasnphasic mines. I spend alot of time zig zagging with enemies close behind me dragging them through mines and rear torperdoes while getting the front beam arrays involved also. My consoles are mostly white (MK10s). Do I need to change beam types or play style? Any gear upgrades I should be crafting or grinding?

What level should I consider joining STFs for the first time?

Is there any other content I should make sure not to miss?

My crafting is over 1500, but I dont seem to be getting vary many matierials for crafting the Mark 11 stuff. I have tons for crafting Mark 4-8. Is there a way to farm higher level materials effectively?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
you should be fine, a tip is to join the normal space once first, (ground can suck so much so i recomand avoiding them at first)

Also, say when you join the STF that it's your first time and people should be willing to help, or just follow the rest of the group.

Also your damage type don't mather really, however be sure to stick to 1 damage type. and use the one your prefer the most.

Get the borg module from the mission "assimilated" at lvl 50 and mix it with 1 borg set from the old STF vendor on DS9 for a hull heal (never hurts) and then mix with 2 other sets. like the dominon space set for example.

and then loot your way from there in the STF's or do missions or buy with stf founds.

you get a free X mark to buy any X item the first time you visit the STF guys at DS9
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
There are some great posts regarding endgame action on the forums.

This post goes over all space and ground STF missions (it talks about Elite but that will certainly work for normal as well): http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=250898

This post breaks down the STF rewards and all the different types of drops: http://jupiterforce.org/showthread.p...u-need-to-know

This post has some nice information on the effects of lots of the character skills and the actual results from specing into them: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=247338

You mentioned you fly a cruiser and there is a great post talking about good cruiser builds here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=249906

Finally I would suggest joining the in game chat channel "elitestf" as it is a good place to find experienced players to group with for an STF.

Hope my assault of links has some helpful info for you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatcher1
Is there a way to farm higher level materials effectively?
Oh, hey, a newbie to STFs who actually asks around first! Need a lot more of you around, seen too many Rainbow Odysseys, Needy Ninjas, and so forth around...

This question, I find, is actually fairly simple. High level gear requires dilithium, which there's plenty of guides out there to check out how to farm, and the XI gear requires purple materials, which drop all the time in the B'Tran cluster (just off the Gamma Orionis block, if you're unfamiliar with it) anomalies. For particle traces... other than running into the nearest cluster when the bonus-anomaly event is on and running around scanning everything, or spending ECs on the Exchange for what you need, I haven't found much of a strategy...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-child View Post
Also, say when you join the STF that it's your first time and people should be willing to help, or just follow the rest of the group.
What needs to be emphasized is that for this to be glaringly obvious to your teammates, you need to TELL THEM that you're new to STFs and ask for directions. If you do this, they'll gladly tell you. If you don't, then they'll assume you know what you're doing until you prove otherwise.

Unless you end up on a team of idiots, which happens. A lot. It might be easier to go to ds9 zone chat and ask for tips and/or a group for someone to walk you through it. If I'm online at the time and I see that, I'll gladly do it, just cuz newbs who ask for directions are so few and far-between that I can help them on an individual basis.