Lt. Commander
# 1 borg faction
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
are we ever gonna get to play as the borg faction id like to see this happen as it could be fun to assimilate worlds with a big borg cube or tactical cube might give us more fun to the game
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Unlikely. I would like to play as them myself but I do not think that they will be a true Faction.

Perhaps Borg as PvP Match with one person having a 'Best Of Both Worlds' style Cube against 10 Starships. That is the most likely possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Not gonna happen for years. Klingon completion comes first, then Romulan and Cardassian.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
It would be good to play as Romulans or even as the Dominion as well. But I think the KDF and federation will be the only thing you can play
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
The unliklihood of this happening has less to do with the fact that we're talking about playable Borg and more to do with the fact that they cant finish the KDF, meaning they wont be getting to the Roms, meaning they wont be getting to the Cards, which are factions more people want before Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but think it would be extremely difficult to pull off an MMO faction in which there are no individuals and all units think as one. You would probably either have no freedom at all, or the faction would contradict the nature of the Borg, not to mention that it's been clearly established that Borg cubes are immensely powerful and that it takes multiple Starfleet and/or KDF ships to take even a single one out, so balance would be a big issue right off the bat. I'm not saying that it's impossible to do, but I would be very surprised if Cryptic, Blizzard and Bioware working in tandem managed to pull it off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
They can't even get the KDF up the standard they should've been at launch, and you're asking for Borg?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAttackBear
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but think it would be extremely difficult to pull off an MMO faction in which there are no individuals and all units think as one.
Dont worry, your not raining on anybodys parade. There have been other Trek games where Borg were a playable faction(Starfleet Command 3) and they played the same way as the other factions:
  • Get a mission
  • Complete the mission
  • Get another mission

The only difference is that instead of getting a mission from Starfleet your receiving it from "the collective" and instead of simply destroying enemies your assimilating them. As far as the mechanics of the game go the Borg would work just like every other faction where you have lots of ships being given orders by one controlling organization(be it Starfleet, the KDF High Command, or the Collective). Granted a Borg faction would probably have less visual customization options than others, but the basic gameplay mechanics would still be the same.

As far as roleplay goes, that is something that each individual may choose to do or not to do and is neither your nor my business how someone wants to play their character.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
You have a point there. I guess I was being a bit idealistic in what I imagined it would have to be.

I'm not sure how that got by me. I played Armada 1 and 2, and they did it just fine.

Come to think of it, you could easily present the choices of the player as the choices of the Collective as a whole. The only place the concept might hit a bit of a snag RP-wise would be in disagreements between players.

Forget I said anything.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I personally only joined STO as in a advert it said "Can now play as the borg", Being Fed/Klingon didnt appeal to me as that kind of gameplay and backround is in every MMO. Borg gameplay, that would be something completely new, and is totally do-able.

But like others have said, got atleast 3 other races to come first. And tbh, the devs would need the time to heavily "adapt" borg to a large playable faction, like quiet a few new ship ideas/designs and so on.

(Unless they just took exsisting fed/klingon ships etc and borg'd them up. Thoe I wouldnt say no to flying a completely assimilated Intrepid class)