Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2012, 03:40 AM
A fairly recent(Feb 2012) crystalline walkthrough and video done by the 12th Fleet:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=252449

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEhs5ZG4AM
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
give us your full list of 'urban legends' so no one is confused about what you consider to be unreliable on the CE. hopefully enough people contribute to this thread where a basic agreement is shared about what should and should not be done, that would be as close as you get to clearing up this urban legends problem.
Well, I could only list those legends that I observed being stated in zone chat myself.

Methodologically, it is much better to have a valid source for each and any claim about the CE, and discard everything that is not backed up that way.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
So that projectile weapon thing is an urban legend, indeed.
Projectile weapons as regular torpedoes are fine. Projectile weapons in form of heavy torpedoes or mines are bad in the last stage of the CE. The last stage has the CE spawn a special type of shard that explodes into smaller shards when coming into contact with destructible things (players ships, heavy torpedoes, mines, fighters etc.). The smaller shards fly back to the CE and heal it. And they heal it really fast - if someone screws up, it tends to be the equivalent of an instance reset, really.

So it's generally a bad idea to bring mines, Tri-Cobalts, Plasma Torpedoes, Carrier pets, Scorpion Fighters , Boarding Parties, Transphasic Torpedoes, Bioneural Warheads and whatever else I am missing right now to the CE - even though technicallly, it only really becomes a problem at the last stage. But realizing when that stage is due and removing anything harmful requires situational awareness - and to some extent, pure luck, as you don't control when mines destroy themselves, for example. (And I am not sure there are pet controls for all pets.) I've heard suggestions that mines may still be okay in the initial stage, but I would simply not try that because other people will end up berating you for using them - they have little reason to assume that you know what you're doing and stop using them in time for the final stage.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Some people say AoE damage affects the large frags the same way. I don't know if this is true but AoE damage makes short work of small frags as well, so gravity wells for example should be fine if they have some distance of the main entity.
Speculation:
Tyken's Rift was a destructible effect a while ago. I think that was only very recently changed. Since Tyken and Gravity Well look very similar, it could simply have been a problem of people getting them mixed up.

Or, alternatively, maybe "under the hood", both GW and TR are still destructible objects, they just don't normally take damage from anything?
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Speculation:
Tyken's Rift was a destructible effect a while ago. I think that was only very recently changed. Since Tyken and Gravity Well look very similar, it could simply have been a problem of people getting them mixed up.

Or, alternatively, maybe "under the hood", both GW and TR are still destructible objects, they just don't normally take damage from anything?
I realize that, hence the "if far enough" from the CE.
While the gravity well may cause small frags to spawn it will at the same time stop them from returning and destroy them if the well is strong enough and the frag are not flagged with special immunity to movement debuffs.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by regimond View Post
A fairly recent(Feb 2012) crystalline walkthrough and video done by the 12th Fleet:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=252449

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEhs5ZG4AM
Good strategy, impossible to pull off in public queue.

I've heard mass AOE with all ships concentrated in one spot works too. I had a public queue come close to victory doing it (if you count getting it down to the teens as "close"), but of course there's always those few who couldn't care less and just sit there away from the rest of the team letting large fragments hit them over and over.

I swear people join this fleet action just to grief and troll.

EDIT: I just tried a private instance, and the entity kept disappearing on a few of us. It made it impossible to beat since it really screwed up the DPS. It completed disappeared from view and was untargetable, yet others were still firing at it, then would reappear for a while and disappear again.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Projectile weapons as regular torpedoes are fine. Projectile weapons in form of heavy torpedoes or mines are bad in the last stage of the CE. The last stage has the CE spawn a special type of shard that explodes into smaller shards when coming into contact with destructible things (players ships, heavy torpedoes, mines, fighters etc.). The smaller shards fly back to the CE and heal it. And they heal it really fast - if someone screws up, it tends to be the equivalent of an instance reset, really.

So it's generally a bad idea to bring mines, Tri-Cobalts, Plasma Torpedoes, Carrier pets, Scorpion Fighters , Boarding Parties, Transphasic Torpedoes, Bioneural Warheads and whatever else I am missing right now to the CE - even though technicallly, it only really becomes a problem at the last stage. But realizing when that stage is due and removing anything harmful requires situational awareness - and to some extent, pure luck, as you don't control when mines destroy themselves, for example. (And I am not sure there are pet controls for all pets.) I've heard suggestions that mines may still be okay in the initial stage, but I would simply not try that because other people will end up berating you for using them - they have little reason to assume that you know what you're doing and stop using them in time for the final stage.
This one was the easiest one to read. Pretty much right to the point. Thank you.