Lt. Commander
They aren't specifically named in the lawsuit, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the idea.

Oh, and I think this cases will go nowhere.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Read about this at work today. The patent will probably be invalidated after all the big gorillas in the industry complain to the US patent office. Plus there is probably prior art anyway. The patent was issued in 2000.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2012, 07:36 PM
I have patented the ability to eat cheese. All of you cheese-eaters owe me something.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I have patented the ability to eat cheese. All of you cheese-eaters owe me something.
You'll have to pry it and my extra cheese, extra sauce, Pepperoni Lover's Pizza from my cold dead refrigerator.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistiD View Post
You'll have to pry it and my extra cheese, extra sauce, Pepperoni Lover's Pizza from my cold dead refrigerator.
All your refrigerators are belong to me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2012, 07:46 PM
It's unbelievable some of the patents they give out. A 2000 patent for buying advantages in computing while online? 2000 is a little late to register something that had existed for well over 20 years.

I think I'm going to patent a means of separating a loaf of bread into smaller pieces. Then I'll patent a means of browning said bread. I'll patent a spread that can be applied to said browned bread. Of course, I'll have to patent some form of oblong object with a flat end to apply said bread. Wait, is that how I separated the loaf into smaller pieces? Ugh, I'll have to sue myself!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I know someone who is not gonna like that statement ...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
I'll patent a spread that can be applied to said browned bread.
If it is a cheese spread, you will owe me royalties.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
They aren't specifically named in the lawsuit, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the idea.

Oh, and I think this cases will go nowhere.
The usual, IANAL. (That has nothing to do with being attentive to details .

Everyone needs to know that about patents.t. The summaru/description of a patent means absolutely NOTHING. The devil is in the details...for patents that means the claims. With that said, most of the claims, have a lot of prior art. I think most of them will be knocked out if/when the patent is challenged.

The only claim which may be viable (debatable) is the claim of being able to purchase items without interrupt game play. For example, running out of hypos in a missions and something pops up and allow you to buy more hypos. Star Trek Online doesn't do that. To go buy something in the game, you have to go somewhere interrupting game play.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
The usual, IANAL. (That has nothing to do with being attentive to details .

Everyone needs to know that about patents.t. The summaru/description of a patent means absolutely NOTHING. The devil is in the details...for patents that means the claims. With that said, most of the claims, have a lot of prior art. I think most of them will be knocked out if/when the patent is challenged.

The only claim which may be viable (debatable) is the claim of being able to purchase items without interrupt game play. For example, running out of hypos in a missions and something pops up and allow you to buy more hypos. Star Trek Online doesn't do that. To go buy something in the game, you have to go somewhere interrupting game play.
that's the angle I was looking at. Technically, using the C-Store interrupts the gameplay experience since it takes over the entire screen. The patent says nothing about the game not shutting down.