Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
The question just popped into my mind. The reason for this is that I see many threads and discussions for and against certain features, esecially for the Fed side, and wether these are "canon", "non-canon" or "just stupid".

I like to argue myself in those threads as I'd like to see a game in some regard true to the spirit and original concept of Star Trek, so I'm very interested and keeping something "hard-canon" ad other people want to change as much as possible to how the game portrays the faction of the UFP.

For instance, and I want to clarify that this thread is not meant for discussions revolving around specific ideas, often thread request more badass warships for the federation, fighter-carriers, camouflage-uniforms, basically many many things which improve the militaristic feel of the game and universe just as other Sci-Fi franchises which often have a heavy emphasis on military technology and termini (Stargate, BSG, Wing Commander etc.)

Considering so many people request those things for a faction dedicated to exploration, science and peace, a faction which expands it's territory by diplomacy and only reacts to military threats, never generates one, it came finally to my mind:

Would people rather play "Mirror Universe STO" in which the UFP you be bent on domination, military expansion and "badassery"? I know that "evil equals cool" and franchises like Warhammer 40k are favoured because they are just so grim and martial and I kinda feel that a certain number of people would just want this to happen in Star Trek.

I'd like some opinions on this one. Please stay friendly, no flaming or offending. I'm just curious
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure if a goatee would fit my feminine charms.

Ahem... Would there be much of a difference besides me being stunning in purple?
I already kill countless(thousands of people) in each mission. I get to decline people help(Aid the Planet? HAH! Not with those costs for items).
I even get to send Romulans to the monastery on Vulcan. (Yes I know I'm a terrible person.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
I'm not sure if a goatee would fit my feminine charms.

Ahem... Would there be much of a difference besides me being stunning in purple?
I already kill countless(thousands of people) in each mission. I get to decline people help(Aid the Planet? HAH! Not with those costs for items).
I even get to send Romulans to the monastery on Vulcan. (Yes I know I'm a terrible person.)
Hehe, this is a good point . My Starfleet officers have all committed large-scale genozides countless times... I might have added this one to the opening post but yes: The game fails miserably in portraying the UFP, this is right. But the question is: Should the very limited game design influence the actual depiction of the UFP in a officially licensed Star Trek game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2012, 01:06 AM
doesnt make any difference if it was called mirror universe online, its all about chaos and combat on STO, just a lick of yellow paint, cardassians and klingons to come together, the ferengi become heroes to the galaxy, the romulans are nothing more then a minor holding of planets operating in peace...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2012, 01:12 AM
throw in some new sectors... have the Terran empire the new major power in those areas... dump the plans for a spoon head faction... make a terran empire faction = done
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2012, 01:14 AM
No. Id rather play star trek online set in the prime universe. id probably play a mirror universe online but the setting does not interest me as much.

im able to separate the story side of it, over the gameplay mechanics of it. i also want the universe to grow so im ok with new concepts being added even if they are not canon. if you only stick to canon then nothing ever changes. that growth is a fundamental part of star trek for me. far more important than there being too much combat.

id still want it set in the universe ive come to know rather than one that has half a dozen episodes of backstory.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Would you (personally) rather want "Mirror Universe Online" ?
You mean a place where phasers are set to stun , and we boldly go to explore strange new worlds , and meet new civilizations ?
That sounds like a horrible world to me ...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2012, 01:27 AM
With a resounding NO, heck no - I already do the domination bit with my current Officers, like someone once said in the Star Trek series:

"The Federation is no better than the Borg, at least the Borg let you know they are going to assimilate you." :p

(Someone help me with that quote / was trying to find out who said it)

Truth be told - If they made a STO Mirror Universe - It will probably be in line with games like Battlefield / Call of duty Online with a hint of Warhammer 40,000 in space. - hmm? might not be a bad combo

Though might make a good expansion pack - but only as an expansion pack
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
"The Federation is no better than the Borg, at least the Borg let you know they are going to assimilate you." :p
michael eddington
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
michael eddington
Thanks