Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't particularly enjoy mirror universe stories as much as prime universe. A dabble now and then is fun of course, but a whole game? I often find them to be a borderline parody on the prime universe. hmm unless Star Trek Online (prime) was absolutely not available, I might consider it. But I don't think I would be the only player in that game who would be playing their ship as if it were a prime Starfleet vessel. ^^ I'd be asking the devs for uniforms without dagger patches, funky moustaches and tank tops!

=/\= For anyone interested in a thoroughly enjoyable Star Trek story-driven experience (with appropriate action, puzzles, dialogue, optional paths and fantastic characters) - I urge you to play Dereliction Duty & Atlas Affair by @Nagorak. [ Foundry Missions ] =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2012, 03:13 AM
I for one would welcome our goatee wearing overlords.

Some good points here. If this was the real trek universe we'd all be flying around in science ships scanning anomalies all day. But then in just about every trek game I've played since Starfleet Academy the main purpose is to blast as many ships from the sky as possible or murder sentient beings with the occasional token moral choice thrown in.

Do gamers really want to agonise over the finer points of the Prime Directive or fly though space in big ships delivering diplomacy at the end of a phaser

I'd love a story driven trek game that was true to the ideals of the series, but I havn't played one of them since the early point-and-click adventures.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Mirror universe... no.

The mirror universe is a nice CONTRAST to the "main" universe, thats what made it intresting. As a main setting it has nothing to offer.

But I agree the genozide we do on regular bases feels prety non trek. But if anything that has to be toned down to get back to a Star Trek feeling, not the other way arround.
I'd love to have a more slow paced space combat, with less enemys in numbers but longer and more challanging fights.

About the story perspective: its often rediculous, but this game is; for good, non canon; although I actually just recently had an argument with somebody who was and is 100% convinced it would be otherwise, that this game is the "new canon".
Also, canon lost a lot of its meaning with the 2009 crap movie wich, for bad, IS canon.

So as a non canon source... I simply try ignore and forget about the mistakes. And if anything I often enough consider that game verse "a" mirror universe, just not the Terran Empire mirror universe (since there is actually an unlimitet number of mirror universes, the one we know just seems for some reason closer conectet to "our" one then the others)

Ultimatly, I'm playing this game for a star trek "experience".
The lack of features like interior use, the "play as BO in whatever way"-ability, the rank system that forces us to be Admrials show to me that the devs lost track on trying to deliver that, but more militarised, more "wannabe" badassness... or any other way to get even further away from what this game should be, a "Star Trek" game, NO!!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2012, 03:39 AM
To add a twist to the theme of this thread:

A very very interesting and cultural rich experience is playing a Star Trek Online solely based on a Klingon or Romulan Faction.

This is because the Federation are bound by the prime directive and are heavy on the science and engineering field.

A Klingon STO about the empire would prove much more amusing:

A) It will be heavy in combat

B) The notion of Honor would be heavily explored

C) Will deal with House Wars and Political Affairs

D) The songs will be epic

E) will play Cloak & Dagger with skilled Federation Captains

F) MUST create your own Nemesis both from within the houses or a Fed
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-05-2012, 04:15 AM
semi-Off Topic buuuuuut...
I know there are not many VOY fans for its flaws.

But does anybody the episode when the Voy had crashed on a planet and the planet`s population retold the VOY as a mirror-universe-style vessel with ******ery, torturing and genocide mentalities?

(also the episode where the Doctor is reactivated and he tells the historian dude that the true VOY was not like that)

NOW THAT VERSION was awesome . Not to forget how hillarious Harry Kim was, and the uniforms they had with the single glove.

I'd want to play that sort of universe to be honest.

In that case, I`d love to see that sort of "evil Federation" vs evil Romulan (vs evil Klingon).
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Cryptic really do seem to have everything mixed up.

From the very start there should have been three equally developed main factions and depending on what kind of game play you prefer that's the one you invest the most time in.

All should have unique story lines based on cultural and historical influences and missions should focus on what they do best.

United Federation of Planets: Exploration and diplomacy.
Klingon Empire: Battles and honour.
Romulan Star Empire: Espionage and treachery.

But I'm sure this subject has been done to death already and it's far to late to change the militaristic style Federation now.

In that vein a few mini factions would be cool like the mirror universe counter parts or civilian traders/miners/colonials.

All in all it's a good game and I've enjoyed playing since I signed up as a f2p newbie but I do wonder where it's all going to end up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-05-2012, 04:52 AM
in defense of cryptic,
romulan side is already in the game, its just called KDF :p

At least the playstyle of many is more romulan than klink, but who cares about being in-character.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-05-2012, 04:56 AM
No. I'd prefer this game would be less like Mirror Universe Online sometimes. Including with less Mirror Universe ships roaming sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Already made. Itīs called EVE Online. :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Not the Mirror universe but the 2009 film one. It would interest me to see the tech in the ships now due to the fact that just by Nero appearing in that timeline the Kirk era got a tech boost and were on par with the TNG level of tech just due to the fact that the feds that survived apparently got away with scans of Nero's ship.

And the idea that after Nero's ship got crippled the Klingons captured him and his ship and had 20 years to look over it who knows what they have they were not seen in Trek 2009

The Klingons from that universe might be a bigger threat than the Terran lot.
Closed Thread