Lt. Commander
# 1 Melee question
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I know that you can use various melee abilities by combing the 1 and 2 keys when attacking, but I'm having trouble with my timing and hoping to get some help here.

How fast do you have to hit the second and third combo key in the attack?

I.e. do I hit 122 as fast as I can? Or do you have to wait a second in between each keypress?

Yes there are guides out there that show you the combinations, but they don't really discuss the timing of your keystrokes.

Every time I do melee I just seem to do random attacks and I'm trying to figure out how to actually use the abilities properly.

So do you hit the two or three keys as fast as possible? Or do you have to have a slight pause in between each keypress?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
are you hitting B to go into fps mode before comabt?

it sounds like you aren't

with a standard mouse you shouldn't really have an issue with melee timing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
No I'm not, do you have to be in shooter mode to use the other abilities? I like to stay in rpg mode so I can keep an eye on my away team members and the rest of the battle at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I have only gotten the styles to work on a bat'leth, and I have to turn off auto attack. I press the attack buttons after the animation is over on the previous attack it works for me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
don't need to be in shooter mode, just watch your hotbar when u find a mob, each weapon type has different timings. Tap one, u will see that both 1 and 2 icons have changed to a different pic, tap one of them, and you will notice 1 or 2 has started to blink(and possibly, if u went the same one twice, one will be blacked out)

Autoattack, and spamming the keys too fast will only cancel a combo. For martial arts a nice even 1 press pre 1/2 second is plenty(And can string combos fast that way)

Also just so u know, and prob hate me for it, ANY weapon that's not a melee weapon's 3rd attack(usually the rifle butt) does just as much damage as a full 'combo' when using martial arts... and it can be spammed... unlike melee combat weapons which prevent u from spamming the same key. Pretty sad that the best form of 'melee' combat involves a gun
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdarkwolf
Also just so u know, and prob hate me for it, ANY weapon that's not a melee weapon's 3rd attack(usually the rifle butt) does just as much damage as a full 'combo' when using martial arts... and it can be spammed... unlike melee combat weapons which prevent u from spamming the same key. Pretty sad that the best form of 'melee' combat involves a gun

That's why you don't bring a sword to a gun fight.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdarkwolf
don't need to be in shooter mode, just watch your hotbar when u find a mob, each weapon type has different timings. Tap one, u will see that both 1 and 2 icons have changed to a different pic, tap one of them, and you will notice 1 or 2 has started to blink(and possibly, if u went the same one twice, one will be blacked out)

Autoattack, and spamming the keys too fast will only cancel a combo. For martial arts a nice even 1 press pre 1/2 second is plenty(And can string combos fast that way)

Ahh ok, I'll look at the icons in the action bar when I try again tonight whenever the server comes back up

I'm not really caring about the ranged weapons being stronger, it's just that I finally got onto KDF and the first mission you get involves melee combat so I wanted to figure it out properly, never really played around with melee before

Creating a new character and being handed a bat'leth as soon as the game loads kinda makes you wanna try it

Though I'm a little annoyed that I can't get the warp core trait as a Lethean...psychic dot is cool and all, but not being able to take that trait is ****ing me off lol.