Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 91
03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I have found in my experience that hard work generally DOES equal success.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but to advocate against hard work seems a bit silly to me. Anyone who thinks that they can slap together a world class mission in a few hours is welcome to try.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 92
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
I have found in my experience that hard work generally DOES equal success.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but to advocate against hard work seems a bit silly to me. Anyone who thinks that they can slap together a world class mission in a few hours is welcome to try.
The mission I made in 30 mins has about the same score and number of playthrough as the mission I spent 2 weeks working on. Personally I don't care about stars, but I do care about playthroughs. Unfortunately the two goes hand in hand. Few 1 stars early on can basically kill your mission no matter what you do. I'm sure I won't touch foundry until the time I spent making the missions equals with the time the players spent playing the missions.

It seems some people intentionally 1 star new missions. I put up a new mission. It started with 5 stars, which moves the mission to the top. Within a few mins (insufficent time to run it through) I got a 3 stars and a 1 star, sending it straight to the trash bin. The votes were anonymus, of course. I still think that most of the anonymus 1 star votes come from only a few players. If we could see all the votes with names regardless of review, it would be easy to identify those few players and report them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 93
03-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Well, my first mission had a rather funny rate (don't know how many stars though):
Quote:
Shortest mission ever, but all in all well done
by somebody called cpl200. Heh, in the next update, I did a 'review reply' thanking him for the "well done" and reminding him that it's not even close to finished (description says pre-alpha) and that it's my first Foundry mission. xD
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 94
03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
It seems some people intentionally 1 star new missions. I put up a new mission. It started with 5 stars, which moves the mission to the top. Within a few mins (insufficent time to run it through) I got a 3 stars and a 1 star, sending it straight to the trash bin. The votes were anonymus, of course. I still think that most of the anonymus 1 star votes come from only a few players. If we could see all the votes with names regardless of review, it would be easy to identify those few players and report them.
Had this exact same thing happen to a mission I published. Two 5 star ratings (with actual reviews) and within minutes a 1 star rating (anonymous - no review). Shorty thereafter a 3 star rating (no review). Now the 3 star ratings with no reviews I can understand, someone played through it and just finished out, closing the review window - which defaults to 3 stars. But for those trolls who intentionally go out of their way to pick up a mission, 1 star it, and then immediately drop it, I have to say, "Really? You don't have anything better to do? Are you really that pathetic that this is the only thing that gives you any kind of satisfaction?" Oh well, I feel sad for them for a second then move on. Poor pathetic losers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 95
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
The mission I made in 30 mins has about the same score and number of playthrough as the mission I spent 2 weeks working on

We just have different styles. I can't imagine a decent scenario being complete in only two weeks, let alone 30 minutes. (not that theres anything wrong with that, short shoot'em ups just aren't my cup of tea) In fact, if i tried to make one, it probably wouldn't be any good, as I lack the mindset. Good luck tho, and may all of your scenarios get 5 stars!

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 96
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, Voyage Home is progressing rather nicely by now, rendering the earlier review obsolete.

By the way, Nagorak, I sent you a mail on the subject (after the Foundry-related question mail): Why are all your maps suddenly gone? I haven't tried the second part of Atlas Affair yet!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 97
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
Had this exact same thing happen to a mission I published. Two 5 star ratings (with actual reviews) and within minutes a 1 star rating (anonymous - no review). Shorty thereafter a 3 star rating (no review). Now the 3 star ratings with no reviews I can understand, someone played through it and just finished out, closing the review window - which defaults to 3 stars. But for those trolls who intentionally go out of their way to pick up a mission, 1 star it, and then immediately drop it, I have to say, "Really? You don't have anything better to do? Are you really that pathetic that this is the only thing that gives you any kind of satisfaction?" Oh well, I feel sad for them for a second then move on. Poor pathetic losers.
You are so much more forgiving than I am

I would be like, (Klingon voice) "Hunt them down and kill them, with cold steel!"

You know what's really scary. If someone wanted to be a real arsebite, they could sabotage competing entries in the Foundry Challenge #2 like this

P.S. Captain.Hunter, that avatar of yours is a shot from the old original STOS pilot, no? IIRC, that's Captain Christopher Pike, and a very young Majel Barrett on the right...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 98
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chastity1337
You are so much more forgiving than I am

I would be like, (Klingon voice) "Hunt them down and kill them, with cold steel!"

You know what's really scary. If someone wanted to be a real arsebite, they could sabotage competing entries in the Foundry Challenge #2 like this

P.S. Captain.Hunter, that avatar of yours is a shot from the old original TOS pilot, no? IIRC, that's Captain Christopher Pike, and a very young Majel Barrett on the right...
Off topic: RE my avatar.

You are absolutely correct. The actors name playing Christopher Pike is Jeffrey Hunter (hence the forum name) and that is indeed Majel Barret (Mrs. Roddenberry) standing to the right playing Number One.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 99
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
"Map transitions were choppy." 2 stars.

"I got stuck in the floor." 1 star

"I wanted to Fight!" 1 star, after mission had a clear disclaimer: "This is a diplomacy mission with NO combat."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 100
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi guys, I would like to let you know that when ever I do a mission I always try and leave a fair review. I have only needed to leave a bad review once, and that was because I could not complete the mission. In fact I could not even get quarter of the way through. I left a review explaining exactly what the problem was, And. It wasn't for a silly reason like I thought it was too difficult, I just couldn't progress in the mission. I didn't even give him a very bad star rating because I thought the mission was going very well up until. That point.

I can understand how you feel about some people seeming thick, there seems to be a lot of people that seem thick in this game. But they don't seem to understand the limitations of the foundry at all.

Just letting you know that there is a New player that is on your side. Thanks for all your hard work and keep it up.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.