Lt. Commander
# 31
03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Well I'm a F2P dude and I'm very honest in ratings (JUST GAVE A 5* RATING TO NAGORAK'S ATLAS AFAIR 2!!!)
and I'm also working with the Foundry at the moment.

I'm very excited about the idea of the Foundry, but the Foundry needs a complete overhaul. It's outdated and needs new content. Some maps are not complete or bugged. Also the 1 thing I would really like to have is the possibility to create Cutscenes. IMO those 2 points are the 2 only REAL anoying parts of the FOundry.

Now as for finding missions. I have no problem with that. Found Nagorak's mission within 2 seconds .
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm F2p and new, playing on normal difficulty with probably the wrong stuff and stats. I take the time to review because from other games I know how much hard work goes into these missions and I'm glad there are people out there who enjoy creating them.

That said, if I fail, it's probably my fault, not the mission, but if there are mapping errors or obvious problems, I figure that's why there is a feedback section, so you can look and see if you can duplicate the problem I had.

What I would love to see (and have seen on some missions) is "This mission requires "X" level to attempt" in the description. I'd also like to be able to tip more than once per day for consecutive missions by the same author. I think if you went through the trouble to make 5 missions along the same storyline, you should get tipped for each segment.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasa65
I'm F2p and new, playing on normal difficulty with probably the wrong stuff and stats. I take the time to review because from other games I know how much hard work goes into these missions and I'm glad there are people out there who enjoy creating them.

That said, if I fail, it's probably my fault, not the mission, but if there are mapping errors or obvious problems, I figure that's why there is a feedback section, so you can look and see if you can duplicate the problem I had.

What I would love to see (and have seen on some missions) is "This mission requires "X" level to attempt" in the description. I'd also like to be able to tip more than once per day for consecutive missions by the same author. I think if you went through the trouble to make 5 missions along the same storyline, you should get tipped for each segment.
Actually most of the times we cant... The maps are mostly static setups of existing maps from missions... We have no control over if you drop through a map or not, or get stuck in geometry.

We simply use the maps and objects in the height, width, depth and color they are handed to us... because we have no choice of doing it diffrently.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I have seen a bit of that. One was "I'd give it 5-stars, but the music doesn't quite fit the tone of the episode so I'm giving it 2-stars."

Really?
That's ridiculous... a message to newbs (Who are being harsh) from me:

Go make a character in the foundry, use the foundry for awhile, and see how restricted the foundry is.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-13-2012, 06:16 AM
While I don't have experience with the Foundry tools here (though I did watch Kirkfats great tutorials to get a basic idea), I did a bit of work on missions in CoHs UGC. From the experience there, any author putting together a working mission with a story has my sincerest respect.

As for ratings, I usually give 5 Stars if the missions shows the author put work and thought in it, regardless if I actually liked it or not. This is simply to honour their work, and spare them the '4 Star' hell *)

In the text field I try to give a more detailed feedback, usually what I liked, or what didn't work out for me. If they have a thread on forums, I follow up there if the mission really got my attention and was more then just 'fun to play'. Mind you though, I don't see myself in any postion to give a detailed feedback, in the end I am just a player looking for fun missions. So most of my comments on missions are usually simply "great mission, I liked where you did this or that".

I use the Dilithium tip as my personal reward rating: 100 = amazing, 75 = very good, 50 = good, 25 = decent, 0 = didn't care for it.

*) In CoH, if your mission dropped below the 5 star rating, it was lost in a sea of 4 star or less missions, most likely to never be played a again. My main mission I had published and poured a lot of heart into was getting decent number of playthroughs and some good reviews until it dropped to 4 stars... then it didn't get a single playthrough in several years!

The situation here in STO is a bit better (more effort involved getting a mission up and running, MUCH less [need for] silly farms), but still not perfect. As such, I support any author with 5 stars as long as it shows there was effort involved. If not I usually don't rate at all.
Lt. Commander
# 36 Newb agrees
03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
This is my first post in the forum so I hello. I was just reading through posts about the Foundry because I am interested in learning more about it in general.

I agree the people leaving bad reviews for things like music selections etc are being stupid. I just don't think they know any better.

I have rarely reviewed a game as 3 stars or less and I do focus my reviews on things like the plot, puzzles, timing and I figured out early on that the Foundry itself must be pretty limiting in terms of what you can do with maps and scenarios. But I did notice one thing about the other new F2P additions like myself. My younger brother is 13 so I know more about the shows they watch than your average 30 year old should and I noticed something like half of the newer players and their ships are named after things that preteens and young teens like so you guys should maybe take into account that a large part of the influx of new players is made up of 12 year old kids who don't have an income and started playing it for free when it showed up advertised on Facebook etc.

I don't expect a Forum to suddenly become a kind and understanding place. But to be honest there isn't much information for the Free members about the Foundry. I am so on the fence about becoming a Gold Member myself because the only real reason I can see to spend the money would be to have access to the Foundry tools because I know I would enjoy putting ideas I have had together. But I don't know what's really possible or not so I can't make a decision about signing up or not.
e.g Can you make a mission so a player has to board and operate a specific ship you set up for them? How much does the development team and Paramount care if you "tie up" loose ends from the tv shows? Things like that.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddanton
Can you make a mission so a player has to board and operate a specific ship you set up for them?
No. But if you can keep all of your action to interior settings, you can design your own interior to look like the inside of a ship.

Quote:
How much does the development team and Paramount care if you "tie up" loose ends from the tv shows? Things like that.
They don't care at all. In fact you are free to use any characters from any of the shows. be careful not to duplicate the likenesses of any of the actors (Not that it's particularly possible, but you know). So you are free to use Dr. Leonard McCoy as part of your cast of characters, but do not use the likeness of DeForest Kelly or Karl Urban, if that makes any sense. Create your own actor to play the part, as it were. I hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
I hope that helps.
Thank you. It does.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
They don't care at all. In fact you are free to use any characters from any of the shows. be careful not to duplicate the likenesses of any of the actors (Not that it's particularly possible, but you know). So you are free to use Dr. Leonard McCoy as part of your cast of characters, but do not use the likeness of DeForest Kelly or Karl Urban, if that makes any sense. Create your own actor to play the part, as it were. I hope that helps.
Well, it should be noted that based on what the Foundry EULA actually says, I agree you can use show's characters (it does not say you can't). However, Cryptic has specified that they don't actually want you to use the characters from the show. I think they don't want to have to get into the gray area of how close is too close a likeness.

So, I think you probably should not use the characters from the show. However, there's nothing stopping you from making a derivative character and giving them a bit of their own personality. That gives you a lot more flexibility too, since it's your own creation.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-15-2012, 04:16 AM
I agree, the new F2P player donít get The Foundry, or the hard work authors put into the missions. Cryptic has a team, we authors are just one person.

My first mission was just a basic intro into a on going series of missions, and a place where you could test your space and ground set ups as Starbase 24 was now a queue mission. This was explained in the Mission briefing, and yet they still complained it was too short. In the end I just removed the mission and redid the mission from the start. They also complained about many spelling mistakes, which seemed a little hash. Iíve now add a 1296 combination password to my mission so unless you have the password or time to kill, it shouldnít get F2P reviews anymore. Although, if they do get through I might up it to 4096 or more.

To be honest, Iím not that bothered if other people play my mission. For me, itís a back story missions for my fleet and my characters. The pleasure comes from creating the mission and characters in the story.

Perhaps F2P players should not be able to review Foundry content, only play it, but I think that is beyond Cryptic ability.

F2P players are here today and gone tomorrow, and yet their reviews will stay with our missions for the rest of STOís life.