Lt. Commander
# 1 Changing Allegiance
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Im wonderring if theres a way for your Klingon of the KDF to switch sides to Starfleet or become their spy and feed them info to help end the war.
And for a Starfleet Officer to switch sides to or remain where he is and become a double agent.
Also would be nice for crews to become freelance bounty hunters or rogue pirates etc.
Just something to think on.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Well if STO does become more a game of sector control and "us" vs. "them" anything like that would only breed paranoia and needless accusations.

Would you really want to be worried about anyone joining your fleet in case they are a spy for the "enemy"?

I stopped playing a game like that partly for those reasons

I like STO the way it is. If I feel like flying my Fed ship for a while then switch to my KDF character I'd like to do it without feeling guilty I was betraying my faction.

I've seen what faction based open PvP does to people and it isn't pretty.

Nothing to stop you RP'ing a double agent though
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 01:44 PM
RP offers such opportunities...to an extent (imagination your limitation, so to speak).

The 2800 offers an interesting mechanic that could open up that interesting aspect of play - BUT - that would be a major rework of all the story lines.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
LOL, the RP aspect belatedly occurred to me as well.

Perhaps PvP will be revamped. It is after all a fantastic way to drive sales of expensive kit to get one over on other players.

But then I'm forgetting that according to the foums most of the player base prefers PvE and good stories. After my brushes with total open warfare good PvE comes as a welcome break.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
If you want Faction PvP, you've come to the wrong game.

Although I feel an occasional pang of loss for games like EvE, PotBS, ****, Chrome Hounds (It counts!), the "Spy for the enemy faction" angle causes nothing but trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Give me your full API key!

Spying in games is lamesauce. Mostly because even when you find out who the spy is, you can't actually harm the player behind them. Once their spy is compromised, they can just roll up throw-away spy #46. It's too bad you can't kill players sometimes, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 01:54 AM
API key...? oh... EVE, played that once many years ago. I got gifts from a lot of players, some where cash and resources, which but nice. But mostly it was insta-popping as soon as I entered a sector from all the way across the other side of it, which was not so nice.

No, i was thinking of another TV based space game, one that's now dieing because of it's game mechanics, beta bugs, lack of real content and expensive prices. Totally cut-throat and paranoid game play.

STO is great, plenty of options on how I want to play. A bit of light RP included.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlexington
Im wonderring if theres a way for your Klingon of the KDF to switch sides to Starfleet or become their spy and feed them info to help end the war.
And for a Starfleet Officer to switch sides to or remain where he is and become a double agent.
Also would be nice for crews to become freelance bounty hunters or rogue pirates etc.
Just something to think on.
If I see a Human or Vulcan or any other fed dirt in first city, I will go all bat'leth on them and then stomp on them!

Just so you know!

Qapla'
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Thank You for sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Im fairly new to this sort of game so thats why i surgested this topic.
After thinking on what youve all said i surpose it will corse unessicery upset, i know this myself from playing Second Life a lot so i can see where your reasonings come from.

The thought of defecting only came to me while playing my Klingon KDF charactor because my fleet doesnt have a klingon faction to join due to it being from second life role players who play as Starfleet Officers.

Still i can always creat a 3rd charactor that is a Klingon on the Starfleet side if the mood takes me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missalbion
Well if STO does become more a game of sector control and "us" vs. "them" anything like that would only breed paranoia and needless accusations.

Would you really want to be worried about anyone joining your fleet in case they are a spy for the "enemy"?

I like STO the way it is. If I feel like flying my Fed ship for a while then switch to my KDF character I'd like to do it without feeling guilty I was betraying my faction.

I've seen what faction based open PvP does to people and it isn't pretty.

Nothing to stop you RP'ing a double agent though
The week 'Of Bajor' was released there were was an Orion RP conversing near the pools with two Starfleet pataQ and discussing a letter from an unknown Starfleet Admiral. The Orion woman seemed genuinely dismayed at the content. After about 10 mins of underwater eavesdropping and tricorder scans with my Lethean, I sprang from the water exposing her duplicity and beamed up to my ship. I should have killed the traitor where she stood.