Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
So if no one can get it from Target any longer, then why can't Cryptic put them in the C-store like they have done with all the other exclusive unique pre-order items that weren't supposed to be possible to obtain in the game.
Resource drought. Where would Cryptic devs get the time or money to do such a thing?
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Prime
I'll be honest I've been wondering the same thing myself. I haven't even seen a TR 116A in game so I wouldn't even know what I was looking for.
http://i.imgur.com/m9G5E.png

Another good indicator of it being used is if you see a projectile go through a wall and hit you. The secondary fire ignores line of sight. If I could still justify the low damage it does at VA, I'd consider using it for that exact reason. Unfortunately, I feel like I need to keep my shotgun and split beam rifle equipped.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
So if no one can get it from Target any longer, then why can't Cryptic put them in the C-store like they have done with all the other exclusive unique pre-order items that weren't supposed to be possible to obtain in the game.
There may be legal issues involved. Given some of the pre-order items were actually exclusive to specific vendors, there may have bee wording in the contract which keeps them exclusive still. Might take some renegotiation with those vendors before Cryptic can put them up for everyone on the C-store.

IANAL, nor do I have inside info. That just makes the most sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
1. The TR116 rifle requires a line of sight to acquire the target, before you can shoot through a wall and hit the victim.

So if you need line of sight to acquire the target, then there is no wall between you and the target to begin with.

Finally, you cannot acquire target through a transparent force field, even though you can visually see target.

2. Damage remains the same and does not scale up, so as another poster said, at VA level, damage is miniscule.

3. I was very disappointed when I got the TR116 rifle due to above reasons (especially the need for line of sight for target acquisition).

Think "the grass is greener" syndrome is active here!

It's precisely because folks cannot acquire this item that it seems precious.

As a TR116 user, I don't see why anyone would be crazy about this rifle that does miniscule damage at VA level, and requires line of sight to acquire target.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Agreed that the damage is a big problem. Which is why it, and the other pre-order items (Chromodynamic Armor) need to be added as scaling items that level with you, the way the TOS Phaser or Bajoran Phaser do.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
There may be legal issues involved. Given some of the pre-order items were actually exclusive to specific vendors, there may have bee wording in the contract which keeps them exclusive still. Might take some renegotiation with those vendors before Cryptic can put them up for everyone on the C-store.

IANAL, nor do I have inside info. That just makes the most sense to me.
That didn't stop them from adding every other pre-order to the C-Store. I'm sure they wouldn't have made that drastically different contracts for each pre-order item. After all Target wasn't the only store to offer them. Amazon.fr and Game.co.uk did too.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0qj View Post
1. The TR116 rifle requires a line of sight to acquire the target, before you can shoot through a wall and hit the victim.

So if you need line of sight to acquire the target, then there is no wall between you and the target to begin with.

Finally, you cannot acquire target through a transparent force field, even though you can visually see target.

2. Damage remains the same and does not scale up, so as another poster said, at VA level, damage is miniscule.

3. I was very disappointed when I got the TR116 rifle due to above reasons (especially the need for line of sight for target acquisition).

Think "the grass is greener" syndrome is active here!

It's precisely because folks cannot acquire this item that it seems precious.

As a TR116 user, I don't see why anyone would be crazy about this rifle that does miniscule damage at VA level, and requires line of sight to acquire target.
I agree with you it's mainly for "exclusivity's sake" but there is also that the TR-116 deals kinetic damage, which means you don't need to re-mod when fighting the borg. I believe it is the only ranged weapon that operates like this.

But yeah from what I hear it's underpowered at VA and useless as an actual weapon you would use in an STF, or anywhere really.

My question is, how does the shooting through walls work with shooter mode, which has since been added to the game? You still cannot acquire targets behind walls? What if you line them up and then walk around a corner? Will it lose lock, or keep it so long as your reticle is aimed properly at where they are supposed to be?
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-13-2012, 06:01 PM
If Ordering from Target.com is anything like my experience with Amazon.com then this will be hit or miss. My experience is that Amazon had a surplus of Preorder Copies which contained the code for unlocking the preorder item.

But their web site made no distinction between a Preorder Copy or Regular Copy. Their warehouse simply shipped whatever copies they had, preorder or not. At the time, I got lucky with Amazon.com and got a Borg BO well after it was offered as a preorder bonus and well before it ended up in the C-Store. Looks like the same thing happened for some people with the TR-116 but it's a gamble.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
My question is, how does the shooting through walls work with shooter mode, which has since been added to the game? You still cannot acquire targets behind walls? What if you line them up and then walk around a corner? Will it lose lock, or keep it so long as your reticle is aimed properly at where they are supposed to be?
I can do some testing with this later tonight, but I have a feeling that the projectile will not seek out targets through walls.

But that's okay, shooter mode is terrible.

Quote:

They can always duck around a wall later when their health is critical and they can be finished off by it. I've also used it to stop persistent runners long enough for my team (who are out of combat with infinite sprint) to catch up to and swarm the runner.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
I got my Pre-Order from Target so all of my characters have this item. So...why do people want to have them?