Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Yeah i've done some double takes typing stuff thats been flagged when it's not even close to anything remotely close to profane, the word filter needs a revamp, it's a little overdue...
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaalryzian
ROFL that's just sloppy; lazy coding for the Filter...
Actually, I think it's rather forward thinking:

"stuped cryptic I cant type butts. Hrrms... I have it! 'hi my name is is Seamore B. Utts!' roflcopter i'm 12 lololololo"

I'm not sure you can plan the exceptions for things such as the U.S.S. Exeter example or others. It isn't like they can read our minds. They just need to protect the majority of their fanbase (not to mention their own legal behinds).
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
I turned off that stupid filter as soon as I found out it could be turned off. Not that I particularly like reading swear words but I got fed up with it constantly flagging things like "it's" and other innocent words.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2012, 03:07 AM
That is some of the worst coding i have ever seen.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I think the fact butt and damn are profane is kind of ridiculous.

Also "screw you" is profane. I think I might have once considered the screw you to be profane... I was about 6 years old at the time.

Rude, yes. Maybe a bit unimaginative? Sure. But profane?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Had the same issue with the word "assess".
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
#$@% the #$^@&*($ filter!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post

Also "screw you" is profane. I think I might have once considered the screw you to be profane... I was about 6 years old at the time.

"Damn it, Jim" was acceptable for TV in 1966. It's also canon. Completely ridiculous that it's not allowed in 2012 Trek game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post

I think screw you is in there for a combination not for the insult but the possible 18+ protection. The addition of words like "I am going to..." and "After I..." put a very terrifying spin on things. Heh, coming across the space bikers cache of holograms is one thing (and really entertaining btw) but i don't need things spelled out; that's just grody. Turning the foundry into Adult Story Chat Roulette is another.

But yes, "Damn it" is a shame to not have. Even if the only reason I would use it is the doctor meme. However, Cryptic probably wanted it too. They are trekkies. It's their legal council who most likely enjoys the Star Wars Prequels and thinks Trek is stupid cause there is no Jar Jar.

(Also, it's been fun for me to work around it. Can you picture Spock saying the word "Butt" at all? Writing the science officer to awkwardly reference the word "behind" is entertaining imo. Why, the fact Spock was so cold cut made for one hell of a joke when he tried, "They are not 'the hell' your whales.")
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I still use damn, I just have to use the old d#$% method. Kind of stupid but it's better than dang and sometimes a light profanity is required. I would never probably use screw you or butt. I agree they are kind of tacky, but I don't think they're really profane. Hell, I'd never actually resort to using f#$% either, even with it being "bleeped".

But damn and hell seems appropriate for a PG-13 type of "show". Also, I kind of miss having the word *******. I'm not even sure if that's really a profanity or not. LOL, I can't even type b@$tard on the forum. Come on, that word is not that bad!