Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Viral Matrix Question
03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I fly a B'Rel retrofit, and have been tearing up Ker'rat, but am always looking to improve.

Right now, I am running a Science Boff in the LtC slot, using polarize hull I, and an EWAR package of Jam Sensors 2, and Viral Matrix I.

Jam sensors is fantastic for me. But what exactly does Viral Matrix do? And how effective is it, really? The description is kind of vague, and I am not sure how much of an effect I should be seeing.

I run with 120 in aux, BTW.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
I fly a B'Rel retrofit, and have been tearing up Ker'rat, but am always looking to improve.

Right now, I am running a Science Boff in the LtC slot, using polarize hull I, and an EWAR package of Jam Sensors 2, and Viral Matrix I.

Jam sensors is fantastic for me. But what exactly does Viral Matrix do? And how effective is it, really? The description is kind of vague, and I am not sure how much of an effect I should be seeing.

I run with 120 in aux, BTW.
VM randomly picks subsystems of your target and in turn and shuts them off for a few seconds.

It used to be one of the most powerful science skills you could use but it got hit by the nerf bat big time.
VM3 can now be removed with science team 1 However, if your watching (stalking ) your target and time it after they have used science team, it can be helpful as their weapons / engines and aux all go offine in a ramdon order one at a time (not sure about shields now, it used to do them but I think it won't now)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Do you think VM1 is worth it? Or would something else in that slot be better?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
Do you think VM1 is worth it? Or would something else in that slot be better?
Personally I'm not a fan of VM, I hated it when it was over powered and now I just plain loath it as I feel it is a waste of a BO power.

At the moment, I'm stuck for ideas myself, I've ended up bouncing 2x Jam sensors but it does not really save that much time. I was thinking of a scramble sensors for groups so I could engage tightly packed groups, but as you know yourself.. the B'rel is not very good at handling to many enemies at once - strike and fade tactics.

I did try polarise hull but as it is on the same global cool down as hazard emitters I got annoyed with that.

Gravity well seems like one of the best skills to have in a torp boat with max aux, gives your slower moving torps time to get in there
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I may consider gravity well. What effect does scramble sensors have on a player-piloted ship. I read that it was a confuse, and so assumed it would be useless against a human player.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
I may consider gravity well. What effect does scramble sensors have on a player-piloted ship. I read that it was a confuse, and so assumed it would be useless against a human player.
If the person is not paying attention ( or has a beam boat with auto fire on ) they end up looking like they just did a FAW on their own team. Not so handy on escorts with cannons as they can just turn away until the effect wears off or is removed.

Most science ships and cruisers however are beam boats and with all those beams going off everywhere.. weapon power drops like a brick for them for a few seconds
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
So this would prevent them from targetting incoming torpedos as well? Or if there are no friendlies, does it choose any available target?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
I may consider gravity well. What effect does scramble sensors have on a player-piloted ship. I read that it was a confuse, and so assumed it would be useless against a human player.
Short version is it makes every possible target they can see show up as an enemy and it makes you appear to be neutral. I can't laugh harder than when a Guy I just scrambled hits FAW inside his fedball and than Heals me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrand
So this would prevent them from targetting incoming torpedos as well? Or if there are no friendlies, does it choose any available target?
You can still manual target, but it is a lot harder when everyone and everything shows up the same, and as the poster above stated, you heals and buffs will go on enemies while under scramble sensors ( I've done this by mistake in my Gal-R a few times myself )

So to sum it up, while someone is under scramble sensors, if they start mashing space bar to target/fire, auto target/fire, or fire at will - these are all bad ideas as you will hit the closest person friend or foe and all your heals go on whoever you have targeted friend or foe. (and yes, even I have done HE2 on an enemy by mistake)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Could always use tractor repulsor and keep the target in your forward arc as you rip a hole in their hull.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM.