Lt. Commander
# 1 Deep Space 9 - OPS
03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey guys,

don't shoot me if i missed out on this somewhere, but I've been searching the boards for the last hour and couldn't find a right answer.

Is there anyway you can ues DS9-OPS in your foundry mission? There was a thread where a guy is saying that its in the "custom maps"? Along with Quarks? Isn't custom maps the maps you create yourself? And for me creating interior maps is somehow disabled? :s

Thanks guys!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy777
Hey guys,

don't shoot me if i missed out on this somewhere, but I've been searching the boards for the last hour and couldn't find a right answer.

Is there anyway you can ues DS9-OPS in your foundry mission? There was a thread where a guy is saying that its in the "custom maps"? Along with Quarks? Isn't custom maps the maps you create yourself? And for me creating interior maps is somehow disabled? :s

Thanks guys!
It sounds like that person might have been joking to me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
So....there is NO WAY to get OPS into the foundry?

Then no foundry for me...How can I make content that evolves around DS9 without its Operations? :S
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Quote:
So....there is NO WAY to get OPS into the foundry?

Then no foundry for me...How can I make content that evolves around DS9 without its Operations? :S
Well, I suppose without using Ops?

I understand that it's a bit of setback, but there should be some way to change your story so that it involves another location? Maybe an office or quarters set in another part of the station (use the docking ring door on the promenade as the access point for the mission).
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Hmmm....I it's just so weird....I really need OPS. OPS is where it starts and where the story has its intro. Makes no sence otherwise. I really don't understand why they won't let us use OPS. Anyway....Thanks for the advice, but it really feels weird without OPS. I can't change the mission or whatever because the mission has to do with the wormhole and the Dominion. Any other tips I might be able to try?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
BTW Nagorak, I'm a big fan of your missions. Loved Atlas part 1! Looking forward to part 2!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Well, I don't think it's so much that they "won't let us use Ops" as it's an oversight. Most of the things lacking in the Foundry are basically by accident, not design.

Most likely we'll eventually get access to DS9 Ops. When? Who knows?

You could try to build a custom level using the walls and such, but recreating something as intricate as Ops probably is not possible. You could try looking through the Cardassian interiors and seeing if you could find anything that might work (doubtful in my opinion).

Without knowing how the storyline goes, I can't really tell you how you could solve the problem. Just some general things you could try is having a hail to your ship from DS9 saying "This is Ops, there's a problem...", or you could start on the bridge of the Defiant instead.

Quote:
BTW Nagorak, I'm a big fan of your missions. Loved Atlas part 1! Looking forward to part 2!
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Well, whenever I write a story, its all in my head. All I need to do is work it out, but now with creating stuff for STO, I'm limited because of some "oversights". Doing it in another way then how it is in my imagination, I just can't find any satisfaction in that. I just hope they add OPS soon!\

P.s. You're welcome! Looking forward to Part II
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Well, whenever I write a story, its all in my head. All I need to do is work it out, but now with creating stuff for STO, I'm limited because of some "oversights". Doing it in another way then how it is in my imagination, I just can't find any satisfaction in that. I just hope they add OPS soon!\

P.s. You're welcome! Looking forward to Part II
This is why it's really important to understand the Foundry is and is not capable of, before writing a mission. I agree that OPS and Quarks should obviously be in there, but they aren't. It's just better to know about these things before planning a story.

My best advice would be to build your sets when you have a gem of an idea. See what you have to work with, and let the story grow from there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys,

The story developed while playing STO. I just had an idea for a great storyline. The idea brought me to the Foundry. Not the other way around. Well, lets just hope the DEV's read this and are going to add OPS and Quarks asap. They said it just right on STOked when they said that the Foundry is the future of this game.