Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricO
I only remember the steamrunner from Star Trek Armada. When they were those long distance torpedo guys. Nice looking ship. And my not so subtle hint as to what its special console should be
everyone always assumes the steamie is an arty ship, but it was just another mid range warship like the akira. but STA makes it look like that it was an arty ship, its one thing that annoyed the hell out of me since early 2000 until now and still going.

if anything the steamie should be a t2 ship, since the miranda, shi'kahr and centaur are frigates (i dont care how cryptic name their class), the steamie was meant to be just a step above as a heavier frigate, so it should be treated as such.

its pointless discussing this anyway, the Zephyr is the upgrade to the steamie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
everyone always assumes the steamie is an arty ship, but it was just another mid range warship like the akira. but STA makes it look like that it was an arty ship, its one thing that annoyed the hell out of me since early 2000 until now and still going.

if anything the steamie should be a t2 ship, since the miranda, shi'kahr and centaur are frigates (i dont care how cryptic name their class), the steamie was meant to be just a step above as a heavier frigate, so it should be treated as such.

its pointless discussing this anyway, the Zephyr is the upgrade to the steamie.
Actually, I am forced to respectfully disagree. Although the community is starving for more ships to pilot and more general content, a ship mechanic that can be tailored with little effort to both the FED and Klingon side is exactly what the developers have been stating over and over... Where to spend the time of their game designers to get the best bang for their buck. So, the general response to that is BOTH sides.

As you can name your ship whatever you want, the main point of this conversation is for designing a class of ship. As you may note, the Zephyr is a SteamRunner Class and WAS a Miranda class ship. According to MA, the Zephyr became active as a Steamrunner in the 2370s and thus would put it in line with this timeline. So when we say Steamrunner, Constitution, Galaxy, or whatever ship; what we're really meaning is class of ship. As becoming active AFTER the U.S.S Akira, one may logically believe that the systems upon the later model were superior to the previous model. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to believe that the Akira class would be a T5 and the Steamrunner a T2. If anything it should be reversed. Well, don't we already have the Thunderchild as a T2? I would then go back to my previous argument that the SteamRunner needs to have 7 weapons (T5 escort) and is specifically designed for long range support that can deal massive amounts of splash damage, but doesn't necessarily hit for strong alpha's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Instead of increased range, I'd probably go more with a universal ship console that reduces the cooldown of torpedo-related abilities, equippable to escorts only. That'd be more in-line with the other cstore ships we're seeing lately.

Artillery Control Console
Universal Console - May only be equipped to escort-class ships.
Reduces the cooldown and shared cooldown of all Torpedo: High Yield and Torpedo: Spread abilities by 33%.

Normally if you use two copies of torpedo: high yield, the one you activate gets a 30 second cooldown and the non-activated ability gets a 15 second shared cooldown. With this console, the activated ability would have a 20 second cooldown, and the shared ability would have a 10 second cooldown.

The steamrunner/norway should be released as a Tier 5 ship, classified as a heavy escort retrofit, and able to use the akira, oslo, zephyr, and thunderchild parts, as well as the steamrunner/norway parts.

4 Forward weapon slots, 3 aft weapon slots
4 Tactical Consoles, 2 Science Consoles, 3 Engineering Consoles
1 Commander Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Commander Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Commander Engineer, and 1 Lieutenant Science
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardigm
Actually, I am forced to respectfully disagree. Although the community is starving for more ships to pilot and more general content, a ship mechanic that can be tailored with little effort to both the FED and Klingon side is exactly what the developers have been stating over and over... Where to spend the time of their game designers to get the best bang for their buck. So, the general response to that is BOTH sides.

As you can name your ship whatever you want, the main point of this conversation is for designing a class of ship. As you may note, the Zephyr is a SteamRunner Class and WAS a Miranda class ship. According to MA, the Zephyr became active as a Steamrunner in the 2370s and thus would put it in line with this timeline. So when we say Steamrunner, Constitution, Galaxy, or whatever ship; what we're really meaning is class of ship. As becoming active AFTER the U.S.S Akira, one may logically believe that the systems upon the later model were superior to the previous model. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to believe that the Akira class would be a T5 and the Steamrunner a T2. If anything it should be reversed. Well, don't we already have the Thunderchild as a T2? I would then go back to my previous argument that the SteamRunner needs to have 7 weapons (T5 escort) and is specifically designed for long range support that can deal massive amounts of splash damage, but doesn't necessarily hit for strong alpha's.
Akira was meant to be a heavy phaser boat(support, engineering), a heavy cruiser, the steamie was not, it was meant for the interception role (escort), but just a bit more manouverable. the akira's position has been flattered quite a bit if it gets the T5 treatment, but with these later technologies coming including that of the thunderchild as you stated yourself, now the akira has to be relegated to its position of a cruiser rather then a heavy cruiser. looking at it from a trek universe point of view;
how many akira's are in existance, and how long would it take to refit all of em? better offjust leaving them.
what happened to the miranda when it was launched and then 100 years later? it was a heavy cruiser, matched the ent-A, and 100 years later its relegated to a frigate and a supply ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
That may be true, but I'm sure the majority of this game's federation players would prefer to see classic ships like the Akira/Steamrunner at tier 5 than to see all of these new cryptic-designed future ships that often dont even make sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
Although its not really my thing, there is a good discussion in a thread currently about this and other ship and as such I was inspired.

How about this for the Streamrunner. Intended to be a torpedo boat, you get bonuses to torpedo skills (upping the damage) and a recharge bonus to torpedoes specifically. A commander Tactical, cause its an escort, but several slots in engineering for armor and such. Not too much in the science department though.

Steamrunner

Hull: 30,000 (Escort)
Shields: Standard for an escort
Weapons:
Front- 4
Rear- 3
Crew: 200
Bridge Officer (12 total)
Engineer LT Comm
Science Ensign
Tactical Comm, LT (2)
Device Slots: 2
Consoles
Engineer 4
Science 1
Tactical 4
Universal
Turn Rate: 15
Impulse Modifier: 0.2
Inertia rating: 60
Power Bonus: +5 Shields, +5 Weapons, +12 Skill: Starship Torpedo Weapons, -2 seconds to torpedo recharge.
so you want an uber escort... ummmm no
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
what i would like is a sci ship that is worth a tinker's damn
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
everyone always assumes the steamie is an arty ship, but it was just another mid range warship like the akira. but STA makes it look like that it was an arty ship, its one thing that annoyed the hell out of me since early 2000 until now and still going.

if anything the steamie should be a t2 ship, since the miranda, shi'kahr and centaur are frigates (i dont care how cryptic name their class), the steamie was meant to be just a step above as a heavier frigate, so it should be treated as such.

its pointless discussing this anyway, the Zephyr is the upgrade to the steamie.
I did not mean to offend sir. So im sorry if i did? Personally, i dont know where to place this ship. High rank Escort? Low rank Cruiser ? *shrug*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie30
what i would like is a sci ship that is worth a tinker's damn
The problem with science ships isnt with the ships themselves, it's with how weak the science abilities are in comparison to weapon-based abilities.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie30
what i would like is a sci ship that is worth a tinker's damn
Hm... a Sci ship with better tac stuff than most? My first thought is a Miranda refit.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 AM.