Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I've been playing STO for only a month or so now, and the first thing I did in the game is mess around with my 3D vision. There are issues, yes, but the game is one of the most impressive I've ever seen in 3D. The vast majority of the game looks perfect, and there even some design aspects that work wonderfully in 3D.. namely the face that your character moves to the side when you zoom all the way in. This game being 3D vision ready would be a beautiful sight, and a joy to play. I don't know if you have any interest in making the game compatible, but I wanted to show that there ARE users out there that want to see this happen. If we say nothing, no one will know. This is me saying something... and... I wanted to follow this up with what issues I've seen so far that might not take much at all to fix, and could truly make this game a "3D Vision Ready" title.

And before people start saying "3D is a gimmick" or whatever... understand... if you have not actually seen the game in 3D, you really don't know how fantastic it looks. If it gives you a headache, on the other hand... sorry. That sucks. Happens to some people.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Name plates, targeting boxes, and health bars render at screen depth
This can be remedied by disabling ALL name plates in the game via the GUI interface. This makes the game quite unplayable, but you can at least see the health of the current target on the portrait, as well as know who's targeted the the glowing red outline (or blue for friendlies)

Cursor renders at screen depth.
This is common with many games. It makes it painful to look at when you have to focus through the mouse cursor. Being that the mouse cursor is used through most of the game, it can make it a constant eyesore. Pushing the cursor back to the depth of the object it's placed over would be ideal.

Cross hair reticule used in FPS mode renders at screen depth.
This is an eyesore, as you're always looking at what's under the crosshair. Even if there was a way to disable the crosshair, it gives you useful targeting range information that is important to gameplay.

“scope” when using aim mode with FPS mode renders at screen depth

Desired convergence settings are far too diverse between space combat and ground combat.
Optimal settings that can be saved for each would be optimal.

BOFF profile images can be too seperated if not totally unviewable based on personal environment convergence settings
Setting static convergence for the profiles would be a good remedy... if not making them 2D all together.

Shadows do not render in stereo.
The shadow issue is easy enough to fix... just turn shadows down to low.

Bloom effects render at screen depth
This is usually understandable, as it's a post processing effect. The bloom effects look fantastic, but it's easy enough to turn them off or simply try to ignore the doubling of the effect.

As you see, this list isn't that long, and I'm really not aware of much else that I've see that impacts the 3D gameplay in any way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
STO in 3D is AWESOME!!! It not only looks cool but adds a sense or realism to the environments. Ground missions are intense in 3D. I do the same as the OC, where I keep a UI config for 3D where I turn off all the targeting stuff so it doesn't give me a migrane. I keep a different UI saved for when I play for real and have to turn off the 3D. Sucks that I can't have the best of both worlds.

I vote YES for 3d vision enabled STO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!



Also to add to that list of stuff to fix:
Character chat bubbles in 2d
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibbertigibbety
Name plates, targeting boxes, and health bars render at screen depth
This can be remedied by disabling ALL name plates in the game via the GUI interface. This makes the game quite unplayable, but you can at least see the health of the current target on the portrait, as well as know who's targeted the the glowing red outline (or blue for friendlies)

Cursor renders at screen depth.
This is common with many games. It makes it painful to look at when you have to focus through the mouse cursor. Being that the mouse cursor is used through most of the game, it can make it a constant eyesore. Pushing the cursor back to the depth of the object it's placed over would be ideal.

Cross hair reticule used in FPS mode renders at screen depth.
This is an eyesore, as you're always looking at what's under the crosshair. Even if there was a way to disable the crosshair, it gives you useful targeting range information that is important to gameplay.

“scope” when using aim mode with FPS mode renders at screen depth

Desired convergence settings are far too diverse between space combat and ground combat.
Optimal settings that can be saved for each would be optimal.

BOFF profile images can be too seperated if not totally unviewable based on personal environment convergence settings
Setting static convergence for the profiles would be a good remedy... if not making them 2D all together.

Shadows do not render in stereo.
The shadow issue is easy enough to fix... just turn shadows down to low.

Bloom effects render at screen depth
This is usually understandable, as it's a post processing effect. The bloom effects look fantastic, but it's easy enough to turn them off or simply try to ignore the doubling of the effect.

As you see, this list isn't that long, and I'm really not aware of much else that I've see that impacts the 3D gameplay in any way.
Thank you so much for that list. I used to play Nexus in 3D years ago. Most of the game was great, except for maybe the cursor and engine light bloom. The bloom on engines really made 3D difficult to enjoy.

I was wondering about the Anomalies in Exploration sectors. I suspect they all render at screen depth, which would be very confusing. Are there any issues with the systems displayed in Sector Space either with or without Astrometrics?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
Thank you so much for that list. I used to play Nexus in 3D years ago. Most of the game was great, except for maybe the cursor and engine light bloom. The bloom on engines really made 3D difficult to enjoy.

I was wondering about the Anomalies in Exploration sectors. I suspect they all render at screen depth, which would be very confusing. Are there any issues with the systems displayed in Sector Space either with or without Astrometrics?
The way you can look at it... is anything associated with a target that does change it's size based on it's distance will be at screen depth. The text indicating an anomaly (or system to explore) shows up at screen depth. If you turn it off, it's impossible to find them, so you have to use them. Astrometrics look stunning. The star systems, grid, and navigation paths show up perfectly in 3D, and the ships in 3D are quite a sight to be seen... that is... if you disable all of the targeting boxes and heath bars and name tags. If you'd like, I can take a variety of pics and post them as side by side images. You can either do the crosseyed thing to see then in 3D, or use whatever technology you got to view them .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I dont belive cryptic will bother to add full 3D support. But I would like to see them do so. I built my gaming rig specificaly for nvidia 3D surround but rarly play anything in 3D. Not because 3D isnt worth it, simply because it dosnt recive the support from developers that it deserves.

On the pluss side, if any one is intrested, STO works very well in surround/eyefinity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post
I dont belive cryptic will bother to add full 3D support. But I would like to see them do so. I built my gaming rig specificaly for nvidia 3D surround but rarly play anything in 3D. Not because 3D isnt worth it, simply because it dosnt recive the support from developers that it deserves.

On the pluss side, if any one is intrested, STO works very well in surround/eyefinity.
I'd say that you should try to give STO a shot in 3D... understanding that a lot of information you're used to using will be unavailable. I go through the HUD menu and set "show enemy name, show enemy life, and show enemy reticule" on ALL options to "never". It's pretty difficult to find out who you've got targeted unless you see what you're shooting at. There's no glow around targeted ships for some reason. Though you lose some functionality by not seeing all enemy health bars (your target's is still up top, and you can tell what enemies are being attacked by looking at their shields), you gain a HUGE amount of understanding of WHERE your enemies are. You can easily see where the lasers and torpedoes are coming from, and how far each enemy is from your ship without relying on a number to tell you. Beyond this... it's a stunning view. I"ll even go to the extent of hitting alt+F12 to turn off my HUD completely. You still get the mouse cursor, so targeting is still possible, but beyond that... it's just you and your enemies in glorious 3D. It's so beautiful . Just turn up that convergence.... turn it WAAAAAAAY up, and have you eyeballs brains blown.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, I wanted to post some screenshots I took of me playin a bit in 3d. I disabled as much as I could that would mess up the 3D effect, and have to say, it's stunning. Unfortunately, the only way I can show you the pictures is side by side... and you have to cross your eyes to see them. Seriously. I'm not joking. If you wanna see it some other way... get a 3d tv or something like that! Here's a little tutorial on how to view 3D pictures using the "crosseye'd method" of viewing. It sucks, but it DOES show what the game looks like in 3d (though not as good since the pics are so small).

http://www.neilcreek.com/2008/02/28/...see-3d-photos/

And here's a link to a slideshow of the pics I took!

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Those are really cool.

Use to do this all the time with a special 3-D book I got back in the mid-90's.

Most of the the pic's in yer slide show are too busy though, makes it kinda tough to grab a focal point with the cross-eyed method.

Though the one of yer toon pointing the gun at the viewer was great.

I also liked the couple that had the UI on, that was really effective.

Any chance you could do some of the larger Fed Ships without all the cross-hairs and shield effects?

That would look spectacular.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Those are really cool.

Use to do this all the time with a special 3-D book I got back in the mid-90's.

Most of the the pic's in yer slide show are too busy though, makes it kinda tough to grab a focal point with the cross-eyed method.

Though the one of yer toon pointing the gun at the viewer was great.

I also liked the couple that had the UI on, that was really effective.

Any chance you could do some of the larger Fed Ships without all the cross-hairs and shield effects?

That would look spectacular.

I think the UI actually gives a focal point that makes looking at it cross eyed a bit easier. Let's you familiarize yourself with what's supposed to be at "screen depth" and what's not. I'll post more. I'm gonna get some awesome shots of all the ships sitting around outside of the earth space station... and more with the UI on... including space combat. I really enjoyed taking the pics and looking over them after the fights were done. There's so much going on in a fight, it's hard to concentrate on fighting AND what's a good photo op. Glad someone enjoyed lookin at them! I'll get more out soon
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.