Lt. Commander
# 21
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
As a foreigner I've got to ask, what are they actually doing?
If they're not Federalized, they're saving people from floods (and various other things of that nature).

If the President Federalizes them, then they're off in some far away land supplementing the full-time military. (And in reality it doesn't have to be a far away land - Federalized Alabama Nat'l Guard troops enforced school desegregation in 1963.)

editing to summarize: National Guard forces are 'part time' reserve units basically, designed mainly to assist the state they are from, but can be used to defend the US in case of invasion or used to supplement the full time military if necessary.

I hope no Guardsmen get mad at me if I mischaracterized them at all. <3 the Guard.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagurazaka77
If they're not Federalized, they're saving people from floods (and various other things of that nature).

If the President Federalizes them, then they're off in some far away land supplementing the full-time military. (And in reality it doesn't have to be a far away land - Federalized Alabama Nat'l Guard troops enforced school desegregation in 1963.)

editing to summarize: National Guard forces are 'part time' reserve units basically, designed mainly to assist the state they are from, but can be used to defend the US in case of invasion or used to supplement the full time military if necessary.

I hope no Guardsmen get mad at me if I mischaracterized them at all. <3 the Guard.
Thank you!