Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
As the title says, I'm hopelessly addicted to STO and I do not wish to have withdrawal syndrome when I'm away from home for long periods of time.

Can a netbook barely run this thing on minimum settings and do doffs? I see a lot of people playing STO on their laptops... or at least, I was a busybody as usual on Zone chat and asked around
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Haven't tried STO, but I ran Champions on my netbook over Xmas a few times. Couldn't do much more than chat, but it functioned.

If you do, /renderscale .5 is your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
HEH when the cardassian boxes came out, I didn't have my new PC yet so I had to use my netbook. Took me 8 minutes to get from outside quinn's office to the exchange on my netbook >.>

however before that I did play it fine and dandy using remote desktop from my PC to my netbook. Little lag but still ran decently.

So yeah it's possible, just going to be really really slow hehe.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Holy cow, that's slower than... my grandma.

I'll have to check out the remote PC thing then. Being able to remote pilot starships while commuting on the train would so blow my fellow commuters' socks off as I make their Angry Birds apps hopelessly obsolete

May involve higher than average electricity bills at home though, so I hope there is a remote shutdown feature or whatever.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Haven't tried STO, but I ran Champions on my netbook over Xmas a few times. Couldn't do much more than chat, but it functioned.

If you do, /renderscale .5 is your friend.
It's true. I even played the game with that half-pixels setting on my parent's old PC* that didn't have anything resembling a decent graphics card...

But I'd not be to optimistic with a netbook.

(*I had to vist my parents, and I was bored and addicted to STO at the time.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 02:37 AM
i can play quite comfortably on my Advent Vega using splashtop.

admittedly my desktop is doing all the processing but still...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I've been overseas for a month using a crappy old Inspiron 1520 laptop with the godawful Intel 965 GFX driver and it will still run STO on minimum settings, so long as I stick to doff missions and try to be patient. The game really slows down when windows like the inventory and the doff roster are open.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I can play STO just fine with my Asus Transformer Prime using remote desktop (they call it splashtop streamer).

Granted all the effort is on the home PC end, but the tablet still has to display it, and it does a dang fine job.

It is MUCH easier to do with the keyboard attachment though . . . . . .
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
As the title says, I'm hopelessly addicted to STO and I do not wish to have withdrawal syndrome when I'm away from home for long periods of time.

Can a netbook barely run this thing on minimum settings and do doffs? I see a lot of people playing STO on their laptops... or at least, I was a busybody as usual on Zone chat and asked around
if you have a gold account you can log on to the chat server without having to run the game.
info can be found here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=159864

we really just need an iOS app all decked out to be LCARS eye candy and fun, fully functional with everything from DOff system to inventory/bank management, exchange interface, mail/chat server connection, and other tools that would justify the cost of a one time payment app. there could be two forms. one being the free silver mode that has a lot of things crippled, and the paid (one time) Gold mode which is fully functioning and offers a bonus, like in game storage increase and other little perks.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtJohnson
if you have a gold account you can log on to the chat server without having to run the game.
info can be found here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=159864

we really just need an iOS app all decked out to be LCARS eye candy and fun, fully functional with everything from DOff system to inventory/bank management, exchange interface, mail/chat server connection, and other tools that would justify the cost of a one time payment app. there could be two forms. one being the free silver mode that has a lot of things crippled, and the paid (one time) Gold mode which is fully functioning and offers a bonus, like in game storage increase and other little perks.
I'd buy that if they made it for Android.