Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
I do not wish to have withdrawal syndrome
hey man, I got the good stuff, primo ketracel white

Quote:
Haven't tried STO, but I ran Champions on my netbook over Xmas a few times. Couldn't do much more than chat, but it functioned.

If you do, /renderscale .5 is your friend.
yeah pretty much this. netbooks don't have the hardware for it really. should see what STO looks like and runs like on even my old comp, which is a crappy emachine with 1.6ghz, 1gb ram and 512mb video card. it runs but the graphics are really really weird

Quote:
Holy cow, that's slower than... my grandma.
ouch
Lt. Commander
# 12 yes you can
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
it works. i've seen sto run on a netbook. you can't play the "misions" and opening windows realy hurts performance but for inventory, bank and doff tinkering it's ok.

it's odd that opening windows slows the game. the windows hide the resource consuming 3d-graphics and the ui is pretty simple without fancy efects. i've asked myself more than once why?

side note:
i have two pc's one high-perf for gaming and an ION with intel atom n330 and Nvidia chipset. when im too lazy to turn on the big pc i run STO in the ION. i have only full-hd screens and STO at full HD with pixel doubling and lowest possible details is a totaly different game. iit's fast enough to play the missions but you have to be patient on the loading screens. i think this is the slowest possible and cheapest pc that allows acces to all areas and aspects of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting, the ION is pretty much a dual core netbook in terms of specifications. Looks like in an emergency a netbook could be of value but definitely stay out of crowded areas or else loading times will be in the range of 'forever'
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
UI does nothing to the underlying scene rendering. UI is put on top, after the scene has been rendered to the screen. I know that UI is a big hit to performance in our games, not entirely sure why opening a new window would cause such a slowdown, but it's not surprising to me.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
UI does nothing to the underlying scene rendering. UI is put on top, after the scene has been rendered to the screen. I know that UI is a big hit to performance in our games, not entirely sure why opening a new window would cause such a slowdown, but it's not surprising to me.
Don't underestimate the drain Ui elements cause.

Opening the inventory drops on one of my rigs the fps from 60-70 to just 13-17 in some worse case scenarios.

I don't know what will happen to a Netbook that is already at low fps.

So unless there is no imense overhaul/optimisation of how the Ui is rendered i won't forward the idea of playing STO on a netbook with more then the lowest of lowest possibel quality settings if necessary at all.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I have played on an old pc with this spec:
- AMD Athlon 3200+ (2 GHz)
- 1 GB ram
- integrated NVIDIA 6100 (uses up to 128 mb system memory)

With options set to minimum I had about 12 fps with exception of klingon academy, there fps was 1, but I still could do the daily lore missions.
FPS was low but very stable, I was impressed. I have even done STFs (infected space and ground) on that machine.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Dell Inspiron 1520 reporting in here.

Celeron 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR2 and an Intel 965 chipset.

It *just* about works. Space combat is playable but really ugly, ground combat is... not so great, but still just about doable.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteconn
Dell Inspiron 1520 reporting in here.

Celeron 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR2 and an Intel 965 chipset.

It *just* about works. Space combat is playable but really ugly, ground combat is... not so great, but still just about doable.
Lol. I was just about planning to do my hair the same colour as your avatar

Holy cow it works on a Celery? But its a 1.8 Celery so its about twice the power of a netbook processor.

I'll probably scrap my netbook plan then because after much consideration I have no practical use for a netbook, and even if I wanted to be Picard in Nemesis with his tablet PC, tablet convertibles are way too expensive.

Whereas if I wanted a spare Android tablet, it costs just $150 USD or so for a Made in China beaucoup type. I have to replace my Galaxy Tab anyway, because the battery is just about kaputt and I could not redneck engineer it back to its stock battery capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Remember when Windows 7 came out and everyone praised it so much as having better performance than Windows Vista?

While there were some genuine performance tweaks (the startup process is now threaded to take advantage of multicore CPUs), one of the things that led to this perception was giving more priority to the UI in the thread scheduler. This means the UI gets more time slices on the CPU and thus feels more responsive to the user, although the time slices available to number crunching stuff in your applications is actually reduced.

I am no programmer and I certainly have never seen the code you guys use in your game, but I suspect something similar is going on here. The netbook is not adequate to run the game, and so anytime something big happens with the UI, massive resources are pulled from other tasks such as rendering.

Although honestly, that netbook probably has a completely inadequate GPU for running this game, and is most likely well below the listed minimum specs for the game. The player should have expected serious performance problems of some kind.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Trying to play on my old netbook was HELL! infact i gave up on the original launch day because it was more frustrating than anything else and had to wait two years till i got my laptop, which plays it perfectly (touchwood)