Lt. Commander
# 1 Can we please have a Nemesis?
03-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Can we please have a Nemesis like in Champions Online one day?

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Nemesis_System

Quote:
The Nemesis System allows a superhero to create a supervillain that they will fight over a portion of the career. ...
Quote:
After creating your nemesis, his (or her) minions will start appearing sometimes when you fight other enemies. These minions will often drop items that start nemesis missions. Eventually you will capture your nemesis and send him to jail, allowing you to to create another nemesis.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Can we please have a Nemesis like in Champions Online one day?

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Nemesis_System
This would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
This would be cool.
Very....might even make this otherwise boring game, not so boring.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 12:56 AM
It could be entertaining if implemented well, and it has been requested before periodically since launch. I don't remember any Cryptic response/interest to the previous requests though unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Two Nemeses... Nemesises... Nemisi...? Argh

Two of them would be great. Feds could get a Klingon nemesis, and an MU doppelganger nemesis later.

KDF could get a Fed nemesis, and either a Fek'iri nemesis or a nemesis from a rival House.

Would be amazing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 01:09 AM
id like to see this in some capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 03:59 AM
I'm not very impressed by the Nemesis system in CO. It has some Borgs in seach for 5th dynasty relics weiredness. The idea is awesome, but the execution... meh, they forgot to add mission themes for the nemesis (magic, mystic mission for the undead mage nemesis; tech, stolen nukes etc for Luthor like nemesis; or maybe something different, very personal for a nemesis which may be obsessed with the hero). As it is, you have your tech freak ressurection zobies with magics and your mage stealing nukes.

STO needs less weired stuff, not more
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Don't think "Nemesis". That was a Star Trek TNG movie.

Think "Recurring Character".

We don't have supervillains. But Trek does have recurring characters that add a lot to continuity.

TOS had few recurring characters aside from Enterprise crew, but notable exceptions were Harry Mudd and Sarek. I think there was a Klingon that showed up more than once, too, but I can't recall the name.

TNG had more of these. Probably the best examples were Q, Vash, and Sela. There was that other Romulan whose name escapes me right now. You get my point.

See, I don't want to have epic battles with my recurring characters. I want to have epic battles because of what my recurring characters did. I want them to be like the Iconians... their presence is often felt but direct confrontation is rare.

I want a Recurring Character like Sela or Lore... someone weaving webs and setting traps behind the scenes, whose schemes I am inevitably caught up in because my enemy holds a grudge.

Or a Recurring Character like a Barclay, or a Wesley Crusher, or a Quark... who isn't my enemy but might as well be with all of the trouble he's at the center of.

So no, I really don't want a Nemesis system... I want something more subtle. I'm unlikely to get it in the way I'd like, but that's my wish.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
I'm not very impressed by the Nemesis system in CO. It has some Borgs in seach for 5th dynasty relics weiredness. The idea is awesome, but the execution... meh, they forgot to add mission themes for the nemesis (magic, mystic mission for the undead mage nemesis; tech, stolen nukes etc for Luthor like nemesis; or maybe something different, very personal for a nemesis which may be obsessed with the hero). As it is, you have your tech freak ressurection zobies with magics and your mage stealing nukes.

STO needs less weired stuff, not more
^^^ All very valid points.

I'd also like to add to this list that once you complete one full set of nemesis missions, you can generate another nemesis in CO. So one character has multiple Nemeses. Adding to the oddness of the system. It's a great idea. But it does have some odd implementation.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Nemesis? mm, I'd rather stick with a main storyline villain. Unfortunately, with the way things are going they only stick around for 5 missions. So I wouldn't be opposed to a similar system in STO.

I would say though, that we should not try to emulate one another on features. Having said, that there are several things I wish Champs had that STO has and vice versa (like the Champs drop-down menus for costume changing versus our Windows 95 in your way option block).

I was going to suggest a rivalry system instead, although I'm not sure that would work with Federation characters. It could certainly prove interesting for Klingon players given the nature of competing houses.

Your rival would interfere with your missions, sometimes putting you at a disadvantage, sometimes landing you in hot water. Other times, they might come to your aid for greater glory. Like an extra level of optional content to do because of the affect they have on the otherwise routine mission.

Certainly Starfleet Captains share rivalries, although, they would certainly not actively seek to endanger one another for the sakes of beating you to the chase to complete an objective. That doesn't mean you have to get on with all the Captains. Perhaps this Rival Captain has loathed you since your shared academy days, and often goes out of his way to affect your missions negatively in order to show you up when reporting to the admiral.

There is potential there, but keep in mind that unlike Champions, where the game's concept is closely tied to hero vs villain, Startrek was mostly about inter-personal relationships on the same crew. So there is a different dynamic involved which would make a direct transfer of the feature more tricky.

On a final note, I always feel the addition of such things as this could go towards marginalising even further the multi-player aspect of this game. That KDf playing person you just met in that joint-faction fleet you joined could be your rival etc, well who needs them now with NPC systems in place? ^^