Lt. Commander
My current main is a Federation Engineer. I've read across multiple posts that apparently EPS used to dictate not only how quickly you swap energy from one system to another, but also other issues such as how quickly your energy recharges (say from expenditures due to firing seven beam arrays at once) and the effectiveness/speed of the Emergency Power abilities. However, I do not know if this is still the case. I have seen people only claiming that it's only significant use (aside from slight but irrelevant boosts) is to swap around power modes. Is it? If so, do I still need the EPS console?

For reference, my EPS transfer rating on him is 194% without the console, and 259% with. He is a warp theorist with 6 levels in EPS and the console is a Mk XI Green.

I am particularly interested not only because I am planning on respecing soon, but if I don't need this console for anything, I'd just as soon put some more armor in so I have a solid three slots of armor, or maybe some forcefields to keep my crew from being battered around by the slightest jolt.

For what it's worth I am alternating between an Assault Cruiser and Odyssey, though I have not yet determined which one is going to end up my "flagship," so to speak.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
The EPS skill also benefits EPtS. This is a very popular ability because it's a high-uptime damage resistance buff. I'd put in 3 (probably 6) points whether or not it benefits your energy weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
My current main is a Federation Engineer. I've read across multiple posts that apparently EPS used to dictate not only how quickly you swap energy from one system to another, but also other issues such as how quickly your energy recharges (say from expenditures due to firing seven beam arrays at once) and the effectiveness/speed of the Emergency Power abilities. However, I do not know if this is still the case. I have seen people only claiming that it's only significant use (aside from slight but irrelevant boosts) is to swap around power modes. Is it? If so, do I still need the EPS console?

For reference, my EPS transfer rating on him is 194% without the console, and 259% with. He is a warp theorist with 6 levels in EPS and the console is a Mk XI Green.

I am particularly interested not only because I am planning on respecing soon, but if I don't need this console for anything, I'd just as soon put some more armor in so I have a solid three slots of armor, or maybe some forcefields to keep my crew from being battered around by the slightest jolt.

For what it's worth I am alternating between an Assault Cruiser and Odyssey, though I have not yet determined which one is going to end up my "flagship," so to speak.
EPS consoles (not the skill) did indeed used to help recover energy drain from weapons fire (this was changed about 1.5 years ago though). EPS consoles have zero effect on weapon energy drain since this change (except if you like using beam overload attacks frequently). If the only reason you had for keeping the console was weapons power, I'd recommend playing without the console and seeing what you think.

The starship EPS (electro-plasma systems) skill itself I would recommend keeping skill points in as it works differently than the EPS console.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
EPS consoles (not the skill) did indeed used to help recover energy drain from weapons fire (this was changed about 1.5 years ago though). EPS consoles have zero effect on weapon energy drain since this change (except if you like using beam overload attacks frequently). If the only reason you had for keeping the console was weapons power, I'd recommend playing without the console and seeing what you think.

The starship EPS (electro-plasma systems) skill itself I would recommend keeping skill points in as it works differently than the EPS console.
Well, I've got a pretty high rating on EPS skill (probably over 100, or at least close to it, including my trait). How does the skill work differently than the console?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgatag
The EPS skill also benefits EPtS. This is a very popular ability because it's a high-uptime damage resistance buff. I'd put in 3 (probably 6) points whether or not it benefits your energy weapons.
Interesting. I hadn't considered it might have an effect on the EPtX powers. Does it work on more than EPtS? And does the console affect it, or just the skill?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Interesting. I hadn't considered it might have an effect on the EPtX powers. Does it work on more than EPtS? And does the console affect it, or just the skill?
The starship EPS skill boosts all of the Emergency Power to ___________ powers. I don't believe the console boosts the skill though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Well, I've got a pretty high rating on EPS skill (probably over 100, or at least close to it, including my trait). How does the skill work differently than the console?
Starship Electro-Plasma Systems

This skill improves the Power Transfer rate between Starship power systems. That is, when you transfer power from one system to another (like Weapons to Shields), this skill will improve how fast the energy will transfer. This skill also improves any Starship ability that transfers power from one system to another, like Emergency Power to Shields, or Emergency Power to Weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:

It's still the case. There are three uses for EPS:
Transfer between systems
Recovery from coming out of Full Impulse
Weapon power regen from using Beam Overload skills (but not from normal attacks -- that bug was fixed a long time ago)

The new Captain's Electro-plasma Systems skill (tier 3 I think) does the same thing, plus boosts Emergency Power skills, so it's worth investing in. With points in the Captain's skill, you may not need the EPS console.

As an aside, I would choose the Assault Cruiser, unless you're very science-heavy. The slow turn & inertia of the Odyssey bugs me.

If you're more tactical-heavy, the Excelsior (Advanced Heavy Cruiser Refit) is the most fun cruiser there is at endgame. Ya gotta pay for it, but I doubt you'd regret it.

-- Edit: Lol. When I first looked at the post earlier today nobody was responding.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyEx
It's still the case. There are three uses for EPS:
Transfer between systems
Recovery from coming out of Full Impulse
Weapon power regen from using Beam Overload skills (but not from normal attacks -- that bug was fixed a long time ago)

The new Captain's Electro-plasma Systems skill (tier 3 I think) does the same thing, plus boosts Emergency Power skills, so it's worth investing in. With points in the Captain's skill, you may not need the EPS console.

As an aside, I would choose the Assault Cruiser, unless you're very science-heavy. The slow turn & inertia of the Odyssey bugs me.

If you're more tactical-heavy, the Excelsior (Advanced Heavy Cruiser Refit) is the most fun cruiser there is at endgame. Ya gotta pay for it, but I doubt you'd regret it.

-- Edit: Lol. When I first looked at the post earlier today nobody was responding.
Well, I'm glad you answered in any case, it's appreciated!

While I've got a bad habit of charging into battle at full impulse, and need quick recovery, I suspect that the transfer rate I've got going without the EPS console may be sufficient for most situations. I may well swap out the console and see how I do. I'd love to not have to change armor so much.

Re: Ship choice - they both have their good points. I think I know the AC better - I've flown it far longer than any other class. I think it's been about a month since I hit VA, and I've had it since RALH. The Ody brings back memories of my old Galaxy class (which in it's time was awesome). Unfortunately it's nimbleness (or lack thereof) makes it frustrating to fly, even with the oft-lambasted RCS console I stuck on it. That said, it's pretty versatile, and I've seen some pretty good builds in practice, so I'm trying to give it a chance where I can.

Regarding the Excelsior - I'd love to, but the Excelsior being on tier with a Sovereign class squashes my immersion, at least if I'm flying it. I'm holding out hope for an Assault Cruiser +1. If they make this, and it's any good, chances are the only delay between my money being in my account and Cryptic's will be how fast I can click.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Well, I'm glad you answered in any case, it's appreciated!

While I've got a bad habit of charging into battle at full impulse, and need quick recovery, I suspect that the transfer rate I've got going without the EPS console may be sufficient for most situations. I may well swap out the console and see how I do. I'd love to not have to change armor so much.

Re: Ship choice - they both have their good points. I think I know the AC better - I've flown it far longer than any other class. I think it's been about a month since I hit VA, and I've had it since RALH. The Ody brings back memories of my old Galaxy class (which in it's time was awesome). Unfortunately it's nimbleness (or lack thereof) makes it frustrating to fly, even with the oft-lambasted RCS console I stuck on it. That said, it's pretty versatile, and I've seen some pretty good builds in practice, so I'm trying to give it a chance where I can.

Regarding the Excelsior - I'd love to, but the Excelsior being on tier with a Sovereign class squashes my immersion, at least if I'm flying it. I'm holding out hope for an Assault Cruiser +1. If they make this, and it's any good, chances are the only delay between my money being in my account and Cryptic's will be how fast I can click.

Yeah, absolutely! I would buy an AC + 1 in a heartbeat myself. I'd hope they forego a special console and just make it more nimble & have a lt. cmdr tactical slot.

Unfortunately, the RCS consoles are percentages, so slow-turning ships aren't helped nearly as much as fast-turning ships. It'd be nice if they have a floor on the improvement -- 35% turn rate or a minimum of 7 degrees per second. Something like that.