Lt. Commander
# 1 Join channel.
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
How do you go about joining a channel?

Are channels text or voice?

Do many people use voice chat in this game? I can't seem to hear anyone loud enough - even if I use the little slider next to their name.

Thank you in advance for you help with my stupid questions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
To join a channel access your Chat Config window.

The fastest way to do it is to right click the top border of the chat window. Or hit escape till you bring up the in-game menu, and click chat configuration.

Now, go to the Channels tab in that config window and type in the channel you wish to join.

Let's say the channel is ABC

Type ABC in the box provided and the Join button will appear.

If it still remains grayed out, you need an invitation from the channel admin because it's a priviate channel. Make sure the admin communicates with you on this invitation as the notification is bugged. Once he/she gives clearance, enter channel name again and join normally.

You are recommended to make a different chat tab for each channel to avoid chat flood or missing out on previously posted messages - do this using the relevant tab of chat config.

On to your other queries.

Channels are text only.

Do not bother with the in-game voice chat, use Skype, TS or whatever, they're much better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you very much for your help!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 08:52 PM
No problems, glad to help.

If others or myself do not reply to other queries in time please feel free to consult the following resources:
  • Forum search function (always try to use this before posting a new thread, in case there are complex solutions already formulated for you)
  • STOWiki