Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-08-2012, 04:14 AM
I like the "old" tricorder, because, well, this IS *the* one and only tricorder (besides the TOS one *g*).

But regarding the kits, I think most kits have the tricorder function somehow fumbled into a wrist based device. I'm not sure but I think most engineer kit-abilities are applied through entries made on the holo interface originating from the wrist. This makes more sense to have on more combat-heavy operations like... wel the entire game

I didn't like the kits at first. I still don't but have accepted them as a means of advanced device supporting the away team with transport pattern enhancers to beam out of dangerous enviroments, forcefields, all kinds of medical and tech supplies, amour etc.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barschmeister_Sparki
if I remember correctly, the game ST:Elite Force 2 (I only played the 2nd installment) had the Voy Endgame tricorder - or something like it.
Was cool.

If the game had more uses of the tricorder, it would be interesting then to see different versions.
I recall "StarTrek: The Fallen" having the tricorder being essential for finding an enemy's shield freq along with a full 360 sphere of objectives and objects worth searching for.

But yeah, I like the chubby one.
Yet I`m surprised why Cryptic had not put Spock's TOS tricorder for Cpoints yet ^^ (or did they?)
I played The Fallen, and I remember how to scale their interiors are and the camera didn't have much trouble, but anyway different topic...

They should make a retro visual look at the tailor, if you enable the retro feature, everything you wear will turn to the retro look, you kit will look retro (no holographic interface), your armor will look like what they were in the TOS movie eras, but since they already have retro weapons, they can't make the weapons retro.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
In universe answer? The Mk 8 Tricorder was robust, easy to use, and "cheap" to make. During a war, you're going to have lots of Tricorders in use, lots of them breaking, and lots of them needing replacing. Thus, you use a robust tricorder to minimize the times it is able to get broken, and also it's "cheap" to make, so easy to replace when needed.

Out of universe? It's a very visible model, very iconic and easy to see. A flatscreen PDA thing? Not so much.

Besides, it's obviously had /some/ upgrades, it has holo-emitters embedded into it with added UI space, and indeed "navigation cones". So up to you, but that explains it for me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
oh god, why even make this stupid thred? i like my version i get to see and dont want a new version.

lol in all honesty tho i do like the current version. i really would hate if if they updated it or produced better version that made me have to change my default
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981
oh god, why even make this stupid thred? i like my version i get to see and dont want a new version.

lol in all honesty tho i do like the current version. i really would hate if if they updated it or produced better version that made me have to change my default
What about... options? I actually like the idea of tricorders getting their own equipment slot, so that you can choose which version you want to use.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barschmeister_Sparki
if I remember correctly, the game ST:Elite Force 2 (I only played the 2nd installment) had the Voy Endgame tricorder - or something like it.
You recall incorrectly. EF2 used both the mark X tricorder (from DS9, Voyager, First Contact, and Insurrection) for early missions and the Nemesis tricorder for later ones.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Klingon's get there own tricorder design. Once that's done then we should talk about upgrading the Federation one.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAnnoyingKitsune
What about... options? I actually like the idea of tricorders getting their own equipment slot, so that you can choose which version you want to use.
Nice suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd be happy if the tricorder could find mission objectives instead of just anomalies.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Options is always the preferred choice, however at the very least they could have the type of tricorder change based on what kit you're using.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Maybe that is the new tricorder, and the frame just looks similar to the model 2 generations before. How well can we really see it after all?