Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 101
03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It actually makes sense for the Excelsior to be more maneuverable given that she's only 2,350,000 tons as opposed to the 3,205,000 of the Sovereign.
What I don't get is that the Excelsior is supposedly as tough hullwise.
Doesn't it actually have stronger shields as well?

At least that's what STOwiki says, I don't own the Excel so I can't confirm.
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
Doesn't it actually have stronger shields as well?
Which one?
I presume you mean the Excelsior based on what I just read in the wiki.

Quote:
At least that's what STOwiki says, I don't own the Excel so I can't confirm.
Anyway I just checked ingame (you don't need to have the ship to do that, just look in "Ship an Shuttle Requisitions") and both have a 1.0 shield modifier.

STO wiki is not always right anyway.
It claims the T3 Excelsior has less hull than the Cheyenne even though that page itself states that both have 26,000 HP.

It's also possible the T5 Excelsior comes with another standard shield equipped when purchased.
The important factor is however how strong the ships's shields are when both have the same shield equipped and use the same consoles and character build.
And in that case both are identical.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
The site you linked to apparently don't like being directly linked.
Crap, well here's the full article on how John Eaves designed the Sovereign then.

I also had an idea for the +1 Sov's new trick: Full Phaser Spread (skip to 2:08). Basically an untargeted version of fire at will the could hit and temporarily decloak (maybe for 5 seconds) enemy ships.
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Which one?
I presume you mean the Excelsior based on what I just read in the wiki.
Yep!

Quote:
Anyway I just checked ingame (you don't need to have the ship to do that, just look in "Ship an Shuttle Requisitions") and both have a 1.0 shield modifier.
If only I could check the ship & shuttle requisitions while at work. :p

Quote:
STO wiki is not always right anyway.
It claims the T3 Excelsior has less hull than the Cheyenne even though that page itself states that both have 26,000 HP.

It's also possible the T5 Excelsior comes with another standard shield equipped when purchased.
The important factor is however how strong the ships's shields are when both have the same shield equipped and use the same consoles and character build.
And in that case both are identical.
Good to know, thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Yep!

Quote:
If only I could check the ship & shuttle requisitions while at work. :p
Finally...different timezones are actually good for something.:p
It's already past working hours over here.

Quote:
Good to know, thanks.
My pleasure.
Lt. Commander
# 106
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Hm, now that sounds a bit OP.
so? its not like craptic cares anymore. so why should i.
Lt. Commander
# 107
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terloki
I also had an idea for the +1 Sov's new trick: Full Phaser Spread (skip to 2:08). Basically an untargeted version of fire at will the could hit and temporarily decloak (maybe for 5 seconds) enemy ships.
I was thinking along those lines myself. Maybe it could "target" cloaked ships somehow? It'd be low likelihood for true decloaking but it might smack around anyone who IS cloaked. Probably not enough to score a direct kill, but enough to leave them smarting.

Maybe it should be controlled by a long cooldown or close-range use only?

Another idea I was thinking of would be something along the lines of 'Fire on my Mark.' It would mimic how Picard finished off the cube in First Contact. Although Picard figured it out due to his connection to the Borg, "it was in the shows/movies" seems to be a worthwhile justification in general for some of the stuff here. It might target weak points or maybe would go for a specialized subsystem sniping attack.
Lt. Commander
# 108
03-22-2012, 04:33 AM
According to part 2409: year 2386 or 2387 the diary mentiones the Enterprise E having a major refit but the devs have not shown this so for the retrofit sovy my idea will be to have a science boff and another science console. So instead of having Bridge Officers = 2 tac, 1 science and 2 engineering, I think it should be 2 tac, 2, 2 science and 2 engineering. For console slots added another science console.

What do you guys think?
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
According to part 2409: year 2386 or 2387 the diary mentiones the Enterprise E having a major refit but the devs have not shown this so for the retrofit sovy my idea will be to have a science boff and another science console. So instead of having Bridge Officers = 2 tac, 1 science and 2 engineering, I think it should be 2 tac, 2, 2 science and 2 engineering. For console slots added another science console.

What do you guys think?
I think that's staying dangerously close to the design of the Star Cruiser and Odyssey classes. I'd rather see the +1 move more towards tac, perhaps make it a Bortas equivalent with 4 tac consoles and two Lt Tac boff slots (instead of en/lt).

As for the refit, I believe it's been hinted that the Typhoon class battleships are actually a variant of the Sovereign to further enhance their abilities. Not sure if this has ever been confirmed or denied though.

Personally, if nothing else, I'd love to get the quad nacelles from the Typhoon on a +1 variant sovy. At that point, I wouldn't care that much about layout and console, just that my ship was looking good
Lt. Commander
# 110
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
A Sovreign Refit would be awesome to see.

I would think it should have an innate ability for that Beam spread ala Star trek Nemesis, but there has to be either:

a) At least a good cooldown time

or

b) Damn ability drains alot of power