Lt. Commander
# 41
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
According to Geko it all comes down to which is cooler -- a Sovvy refit or a Vesta.

Sovy' by a mile!!
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Sovy' by a mile!!
Hell Ya. Also forgot to mention this, there has been threads been made about this and no one has mentioned this so I'll do it for them....SKIN TIGHT SHIELDS!!!!! like in nemesis. Would be sooooooo cool!!
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
According to Geko it all comes down to which is cooler -- a Sovvy refit or a Vesta.

Cool factor being the single most important variable in the discussion, supposedly.

Neither of them, though, are as cool or as popular as the Excelsior. So that comes into play as well.
Er, what? Why the hell is this a one or the other situation? The ships don't even compete wirh each other in the same class category? Sovereign is a heavy cruiser type, Vesta is a light science cruiser like Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I believe Geko said a Sovereign refit will be done....eventually. So its going to happen...some time. Pretty cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-08-2012, 11:19 PM
After reading the stats of the new Odysseys this thread is entirely redundant. Nothing they can do to a refit will be an incentive to keep flying a Sovereign outside of bumping up both tac stations a rank, a better turn modifier and armor. Also one more console.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Hell Ya. Also forgot to mention this, there has been threads been made about this and no one has mentioned this so I'll do it for them....SKIN TIGHT SHIELDS!!!!! like in nemesis. Would be sooooooo cool!!
I could care less about the whole skin tight shield thing. I want to have a Sovy' with teeth to it. I have an ensign and two cadets taking her out to do donuts just so she wont rust away!!!
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Fair enough. To be honest there is not alot to improve other than, power, turn rate and hull. The sovy is a well balanced ship. May need a little improvement as mentioned before other than that what else can she have? Besides improving the look, there is not alot that needs improving.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
After reading the stats of the new Odysseys this thread is entirely redundant. Nothing they can do to a refit will be an incentive to keep flying a Sovereign outside of bumping up both tac stations a rank, a better turn modifier and armor. Also one more console.
I wouldn't bet on that.

While it will definitely need a heftier boost than it would have before, it still has relative nimbleness. Remember that those Ody "set bonuses" still require you to dump the consoles into slots that would be used for things like armor and weapon upgrades, effectively reserving or eliminating consoles on the Ody. Plus those special abilities might have things like 5 minute cooldowns.

Furthermore, we've had people comment that they like the Sovereign on pure aesthetics. Plus, it's still Picard's Enterprise (or one of them, anyway), and that may have more psychological heft than a seldom-seen in-game Enterprise, making the Sovy a particularly compelling choice. Even now I'm not sure how much STO making a new Enterprise really influences me in the Ody's direction over the Sovereign.

These are all off the top of my head and based on the still-incomplete information on the Ody, but there are likely fact still reasons to go for a Sovereign, and I hope others agree.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Er, what? Why the hell is this a one or the other situation? The ships don't even compete wirh each other in the same class category? Sovereign is a heavy cruiser type, Vesta is a light science cruiser like Voyager.
I'm just going off of what Geko talked about in his interview. Trust me, I agree with you on your take on the two ships. I really do.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Heh, good luck with that.

For me, the draw of the Sovereign has always been the balance between offense, defense and mobility. The other Fed cruisers may have it beat in one, or more of these fields, but only at the expense of others. I really don't want to see a +1 version built to compete with Odd, which has it's weaknesses even with the upgrades, but rather some small tweaks to the current form which make it just a little bit better.