Lt. Commander
So, it seems like the road to new KDF content is hindered by a debate. On the one hand, there does not seem to be a ton of KDF players out there. Why devote the resources? On the other hand, maybe there aren't a ton of KDF players because there isn't a lot of content.

I'd like to suggest an easy way to test this, in the hopes of partially settling the debate.

It would require the devs do a couple of things to KDF-side mechanics.

1. Reduce EXP for playing PvE KDF content, requiring players to seek out other content.
2. Grant comparable EXP for each hour spent playing KDF Foundry missions. The timer prevents exploit missions.
3. Calculate the EXP granted to match the amount of content available in Fed side PvE, so that leveling a KDF toon involves playing tons of content, especially KDF Foundry missions.
4. Make sure players know that they need to play community-authored missions to get to the next level, unless they'd rather do PVP, etc.

Essentially, doing these small steps would mean that a KDF player can get to cap playing a huge amount of content (mostly Foundry), without PvP, grinding, etc. In fact, they'd be playing just as many missions available on the (non-Foundry) Fed side. The only difference would be that a very large chunk of content comes from the community instead of the devs.

Then, sit back and watch the numbers. In four steps, you just transformed the KDF side into tons and tons of experience-granting content, with story after story after story.

Did that bring more KDF players to game? If so, do the numbers justify investing?

Also worth watching: How does granting EXP for Foundry affect how many KDF missions are made by authors, compared to the Fed side.

What do you guys and gals think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Why? Cryptic made up there mind years ago.
Nothing is going to change it.

But bring on the romulans for cryptic to handle!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I say invest in actually making a KDF faction in STO and the ability to create a KDF from start. I'm not really into the foundry anymore, still working on a KDF mission though...but the foundry should not be part of the leveling process at all. Real missions that Crpytic needs to make should be.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
If my experience playing the foundry missions was less problematic I would support that aspect of your plan, but I would rather have them do an FE and some more unique missions centered on the klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, no. Heres a true story, i leveled up a klingon to 50 without finishing the tutorials because i used the doff system. A better way to encourage people to roll kdf would be to give the kdf unique mission rewards (yes with new exclusive missions) and add some other incentives for it. When skipping all the story missions to get to the breen episodes i was shocked at how few missions they had.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Cryptic would just use this as another excuse, err reason, not to create content for KDF. Meanwhile at Cryptic... See we don't need to do anything more for the Klingons. They're happy with the Foundry. Hey Bill, what do you think about a Federation Embassy on Qo'noS? Well, Bob, Federation Klingons, Federation captured BoPs, yeah I think the Embassy is a wonderful idea! Say let's put a Starfleet representative on the High Council too...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
There is also likely fewer KDF players because it has to be unlocked, and although getting it unlocked isn't that difficult, new players still end up comfortable with the feds first, and going through 3 fed ships before they can even consider the KDF

That will skew the numbers....
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
What do you guys and gals think?
I think the majority of people that play MMOs these days are not interested in the journey, but rather they are interested in the fastest path to the destination.

From my perusal of the forums (and participation here and there), there is not a united KDF front when it comes to what they all want.

There are those that want the equal 1-50 experience.
There are those that want the holes filled, so they can play 20-50 without grinding.
There are those that want unique endgame content.
There are those that want more ships and ship costumes.
There are those that want more quality of life in regard to characters.

Some want FULL and some want FULLER.

Some want a mix, some only care about what they care about, etc.

The player that just wants more ships will not care about the missing 1-20, etc, etc, etc.

Rather than discussing chicken and egg, it might simply be easiest just to look at the number of Star Trek fans that would actually want to play a Klingon...as opposed to wanting to play Kirk, Picard, Archer, Janeway, or Sisko... heck, look around ESD - it's like some twisted episode of Star Trek Clone Wars with all the Rikers running around.

No doubt, I'm somewhat biased. I'm a FULLER rather than FULL guy. I say they need to plug the holes first: there are two holes in the episodes for KDF, there are obvious missing ships based on the hierarchy of ships they have in place, etc, etc, etc.

Developing 1-20 content would not fix that for me... it's a hole, yes, but it is not a hole that's in game like one experiences in the 30s and 40s.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Like another player pointed out to me... There really is no Chicken vs. Egg situation because in business you MUST take a loss and invest in making your product before you can see a return on your investment.

Chicken vs Egg is a nice PR way to say they DO NOT want to invest in the Klingon Faction because it's too risky.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontline2042
Yeah, no. Heres a true story, i leveled up a klingon to 50 without finishing the tutorials because i used the doff system. A better way to encourage people to roll kdf would be to give the kdf unique mission rewards (yes with new exclusive missions) and add some other incentives for it. When skipping all the story missions to get to the breen episodes i was shocked at how few missions they had.
I also leveled up 3 KDF toons using the Doff system alone. Just camp them at the KDF acadamy and have them do Lore, datachip & doff missions. You'll level them up pretty fast with out doing anything.

I wanted to run all the KDF missions as a level 50 toon and not have to run into the content gap they have. What you should be asking for is more KDF Cstore items. Because the game is F2P they'll only make stuff that makes them money. Once they see KDF makes them money then they'll put out more unique stuff for them.