Lt. Commander
So, following on from the thread created about Terra Nova being cancelled, it got me thinking in that are TV series getting better or worse?

I'm of the opinion it's getting worse, with only little chinks of good stuff coming out.

so ST series aside as they are a given to me (yes even voyager which I think is terrible), I was wondering what TV series match up to what I think are the pinincle of TV series and what I hold as the standard.

So here's my list of those I think are the nuts (in no particular order of greatness (in my opinion) -

Bab 5. (all 4 series and the last episode of series 5).
Farscape (genius).
Firefly (enough said).
24 (up to series 4. Shouldn't have killed Pres Palmer tbh).
The Wire (Great except for the school series 3 I think)
Stargate (or the Jack show).
Supernatural (love em)
Fringe (my current fav)

I know I have missed out some, but these are the ones that I love.

Now, it seems that the new stuff coming out, is interesting at first, but seems to loose it's steam too early.

An example, I thought the Walking dead first series was excellent, now the second series is just okay, but it's like pulling teeth as it all seems to be set in the farm and I want them to move on.

Alcatraz, so far it's just Meh, but I feel compelled to watch it as I want to know what's going on.

Lost, great first series, but then it got long and tiresome and the payoff was a massive cop out.

I am loving Game of thrones and don't recall a weak episode, but I am not putting it in my list as yet until I see how it goes.

Spartacus, great first series, okay after.

BSG, really good and I even accepted a female Starbuck, but after the first series, it went up it's own ..... and I don't think it recaputured the first series vibe.

So, what's your thoughts.

Remember, this is just my list. There is no right or wrong (except Bab 5 is even better than TNG which is my favourite Trek ...

Relax...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2012, 04:56 AM
to me, smallville was one of the last good TV shows on the air. And even then, it kind of went to pot during certain seasons, and only got good at the very end of it.

and I keep on watching The walking dead hoping that it'll get good again. =\ And to think it showed such promise at the start. It's just a bunch of insane people doing insane things that makes no sense at all.

I just get the feeling that Hollywood has gotten REALLY lazy regarding TV shows. They're proably thinking: "If the masses can watch crappy reality shows and love them, then that means we can produce crap that passes for good fiction somehow without putting in any real effort! big money here we come!"

The rest of the shows on your list was good though. Wish there was more shows like Farscape and Firefly.

There's also Doctor Who.... I think that can be a good show sometimes.

It's basically gotten to the point where almost any new TV shows I watch are Anime or American Cartoons now. I get them on dvds or watch them online, too. Sure, they're cartoons but at least the cartoon series has a decent plot with good characters. And it's kind of a sad thing when TV shows designed for older kids have a better plot than non-animated Adult shows nowdays.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2012, 05:08 AM
TV series on the average is going down the toilet just as fast as Music has done since the 90's, everything has been played to death and cloned with a different name, you got rubbish like these soaps which are almost exclusively repeats of a previous episode, someone did this or that... now you got even worse coming up, reality TV shows, do i really need to go on? sure some people like this stuff and each to their own, but in my opinion, TV shows are no longer what they once were much the same direction music has become, all tone deaf Jedward and Beiber types and if it isnt plastic and to make sure the real talented musical types are always ignored, its not good for a business trying to scam every tom, **** and harry they can find to watch that crap.

look back to the 80's and 90's, star trek, red dwarf, stargate, babylon 5, farscape amoungst others, these were the only high-light standouts in my eyes and then you got Stargate Universe that flopped because people who watched it didnt like that isnt SG1 and SGA because of the comical value to it, was quite a shame we will never know if the crew ever got out of stasis or if Eli went native. i doubt we will see another trek series for another 10+ years either. But mostly SGU came off the back of BSGr, it definately felt as such.

I hope one of these days people see reality tv shows and soaps as nothing more then poking at a dead horse and has been like this for so long and try to revitalize TV, but to the most part its now getting into a polical aspect of someone crying foul because its slightly racist even though its meant to be a light hearted attempt at humor, otherwise known as the PC Brigade. thats a whole different can of worms even though its part of the same issue.

My opinion of TV shows? its on the fast decline and if it isnt picked up soon, it's gonna be left to rot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
so ST series aside as they are a given to me (yes even voyager which I think is terrible)
To me, Voyager is a great show. It's diferent from the rest. DS9 is also different (but I love it ).

The new series go from bad to worse....

BSG.... or Galactica battlestar with psicothics chars. Starbuck change of sex, is pasable (but it erase so good chars as Cassiopea or Athena) and reduce a war of 1000 years in another with 50 or 75 years of old. I only had a work for that show... Pathetic.

Stargate Universe.... no coment.... another psicotihics chars show....

I hope see again sci-fic series as any of star trek. Until that, I'll see Merlin, Toledo, or the clone wars (the clone wars had better plots that many films, and that is to cry).

Thanks to everybody for the fun, sorry for my bad english.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I had a few new shows coming up this year for me:
Alphas, Homeland and Person of Interest are the ones that I remember most. I am looking forward to their continuation.
I'll miss Terriers. And Stargate Universe (not perfect, but they had made up an interesting story arc that I would have liked to see come to a conclusion) .

I think there will always be good and bad shows. I had the impression there was a trend to more good, but in retrospect I think it's more that I even bothered to try out new shows that looked even somewhat interesting - and some turned out to be good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2012, 05:39 AM
For the op....replace series with seasons...i got totally confused when you said bab 5 first 4 series..i was like omg we dont acknowledge the spinoff ...and there was more???
But yes bab5, firefly, game of thrones, most of 24 (writer strike hurt it alot) i was just getting into V when that got tossed aside for three crap shows..
All in all programming is down because ideas are down....its all been done before and if its remade not even holding a candle to the original because the writers on the remake try to damn hard to make it their own...prime example bsg...started ok enough but went down the religion route...something scifi and religion mixxing bothers the hell out of me...anyway
Reality shows are here to stay because knowing what fake rich people struggling through life is way more entertaining than say a new sci fi show.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosuhno
For the op....replace series with seasons...i got totally confused when you said bab 5 first 4 series..i was like omg we dont acknowledge the spinoff ...and there was more???
But yes bab5, firefly, game of thrones, most of 24 (writer strike hurt it alot) i was just getting into V when that got tossed aside for three crap shows..
All in all programming is down because ideas are down....its all been done before and if its remade not even holding a candle to the original because the writers on the remake try to damn hard to make it their own...prime example bsg...started ok enough but went down the religion route...something scifi and religion mixxing bothers the hell out of me...anyway
Reality shows are here to stay because knowing what fake rich people struggling through life is way more entertaining than say a new sci fi show.
Lol, why should I replace series with Seasons? I live in England, so we call it series here I also spell Colour the right way too (JK)...

One thing about alot of these cancelled show's like V, or SGU, is that the last episodes always seems to leave you wanting more, even if they are a chore to watch. 4400 I thought started slow, then just as it was cancelled, I was starting to get into the characters and was bummed when it ended.

I see no one has mentioned Heroes. Is it because we all felt we got $%$% after the first series or was it just me. Our lass who is a massive Big Brother, Crap-factor , Biggest loser fan, enjoyed the first "series" of Heroes and then was turned off with the last episode and the next 3 series.

Having said that about reality TV programmes, I love my Geordie Shore (think it's a copy of Jersey Shore?) and I love my Storage Wars for some reason.

Shesh, I'm getting old...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Sturgeon's Law.

If you think TV is getting worse, you're selectively forgetting that thousands of broadcast crimes against humanity have been committed every year. Herman's Head, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Homeboys in Outer Space, the 80's reboot of Leave it to Beaver, the Brady Bunch spinoff where the girls are grown up and married and the rest of the family is mysteriously gone, anything with Bob Sagat.

And that's just the ones I actually watched and haven't blocked out of my memory.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Lol, why should I replace series with Seasons? I live in England, so we call it series here I also spell Colour the right way too (JK)...

One thing about alot of these cancelled show's like V, or SGU, is that the last episodes always seems to leave you wanting more, even if they are a chore to watch. 4400 I thought started slow, then just as it was cancelled, I was starting to get into the characters and was bummed when it ended.

I see no one has mentioned Heroes. Is it because we all felt we got $%$% after the first series or was it just me. Our lass who is a massive Big Brother, Crap-factor , Biggest loser fan, enjoyed the first "series" of Heroes and then was turned off with the last episode and the next 3 series.

Having said that about reality TV programmes, I love my Geordie Shore (think it's a copy of Jersey Shore?) and I love my Storage Wars for some reason.

Shesh, I'm getting old...
Hmm ok...lol..heroes...yeah..problem with that show was it was all over the place and was pretty stretchy with the plot...

Nope we totaly know of the bad shows...see how few decent ones are mentioned...btw i do watch top gear not sure if id say its great but beats american news anyday lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosuhno
.btw i do watch top gear not sure if id say its great but beats american news anyday lol.
You aint seen Top gear until you have watch the original British versionl!!!

Clarkson for Prime Minister!