Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-08-2012, 06:21 AM
The above is true, that's why music was better when we were younger. Because we forgot all the terribad stuff that came out at the same time as classic albums like "What's the Story/Morning Glory" or "Rage Against the Machine" etc. Same goes for earlier periods like the 80s, 70s and 60s. For every "Sgt Peppers" or "Led Zeppelin IV" or "Darkside of the Moon" there were probably a dozen albums that were a waste of vinyl, and far more of no particular goodness or badness, just "there" so to speak.

If I look back at the last five years, some TV series really stood out for me, Peepshow's one of the funniest things I've watched in years, but thre've been other sticoms that were rubbish, I can't quite remember them right now though. Same with Life on Mars (the original one), that was great, I can't really remember much else of what was on around that sort of time though.

Same's true of sci-fi, Star Trek, BSG and B5 spring to mind straight away. I have to rack my brains for a little to remember Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, or Sliders.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
I see no one has mentioned Heroes. Is it because we all felt we got $%$% after the first series or was it just me.
The writer's strike killed Heroes, I think. Okay, we can't be sure that it would have run smoothly without it, but I think the quality dropped considerably and storylines were dropped or turned into something they probably never were intended to be.

I also miss Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles*. I am just watching the DVDs now again. Still captures me, even though I'II hate seeing the cliffhanger ending again...

*) Though I actually watch it more as a John Connor Chronicles show, because it is a lot more about John's growth to become the man that Skynet sees as his biggest threat...
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
You aint seen Top gear until you have watch the original British versionl!!!

Clarkson for Prime Minister!
Pretty sure thats the one i watch on the american bbc we have here...its on right after st tng for me..my favorite episode to date is where they go out buy those 3 cars and whats his names car keeps breaking down on their trip...and he finaly breaks down for good in the pooring rain and the other two leave him and keep driving to the pub er whatever their final destination was in that city..wich name eludes me at 630 am......
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Eureaka- with the exception of a weak 3rd season, it's been a fun and quirky show that's being ended too soon.
Warehouse 13- Slow star, but I am really digging it now
BSG- Great start, Great finish, weak third season
Doctor Who- Good star t(#9), Better middle (#10, Fantastic at the moment (#11)
SG-1- The only time I've like the US Air Force
Atlantis-Slow start, but humming on all cylinders when ended too soon
Universe- Wah? huh?
Terra Nova-Soooo much potential
V- You can't end the show like that!
Firefly - Almost the best ever
Fringe - Never got into it, felt like an X-Files clone
X-Files - good mix of Mythology and stand alone episodes
Babylon 5 - I pretend the 5th season didn't happen, that being said, best ever made
24 -Had me till the last season
Caprica - Crapica
Heroes - Great start, the rest was meh
JAG- at the end had more sci-fi than some sci-fi shows
NCIS - BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and that's not just the Navy guy in me talking)
TNG - only watchable episodes now are the Best of Both worlds two parter
DS9 - slow start, kicking end
VOY - had some stumbles, but a quality series
ENT- See VOY
TOS - wouldn't work today, but was great for the day
Big Bang Theory - One of only two comedies I watch
Sarah Connor Chronicles: had soooo much potential, anothe victim of Fox
Farscape - mmmm Claudia Black, and was a good series too
Futurama - Another victim of Fox, has been reprieved by Comedy Central

Oh man I watch too much TV
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosuhno
Pretty sure thats the one i watch on the american bbc we have here...its on right after st tng for me..my favorite episode to date is where they go out buy those 3 cars and whats his names car keeps breaking down on their trip...and he finaly breaks down for good in the pooring rain and the other two leave him and keep driving to the pub er whatever their final destination was in that city..wich name eludes me at 630 am......
You just described half of the "X car for Y money" challenges on Top Gear.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I haven't watched tv shows regularly since Stargate Atlantis. I didn't particularly think it was great, either.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
So, following on from the thread created about Terra Nova being cancelled, it got me thinking in that are TV series getting better or worse?
Better. Much much better.

You've got things like Breaking Bad and Madmen that couldn't have been properly made 10 years ago.

You've also got the hard-learned lesson of Rome, where a great series was cancelled due to budget, only to find out that DVD sales could support costly period shows. And now we reap the benefits of said lesson learned with Game of Thrones.

Granted all of this comes with a hefty price tag for our culture and our development as a species. Of course I'm referring to all the viewing hours we've generated based on the Kardashian family.

Still, the quality of dramatic television has really had its doors blown wide open compared to the previous two decades.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
TV in general is pointless now a days. I miss the 90's and early 2000's...at least back then re-runs of good shows were on all the time....I watch TV maybe once or twice a week for an hour...

So far what I'd ever watch on current Tv:

Any Star Trek show or movie (well not the JJ-Cancerverse)

Star Wars shows or movies

Top Gear (British version)

News in general

Maybe something on Science Channel

History Channels from time to time

Military channel if it's about WWII or civil war

Maybe the old, old X-Men cartoon that's on at like 1am on the weekends alongside the ancient Iron Man cartoon

That's it....
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
TV in general is pointless now a days. I miss the 90's and early 2000's...at least back then re-runs of good shows were on all the time....I watch TV maybe once or twice a week for an hour...

(
Care to name some of these 90s and early 2000s? Geniunely interested.

I forgot about how hooked on X-Files I was until that jumped the shark.

I had a spell at watching some classic TV last year, to see if they stood up to today and if they were as good (or fun) as they were in my head when I was a kid. Programmes such as Buck Rogers, Original Battlestar, Blake 7 and Doctors Jon Pertwee and the best Tom Baker and I have to say, I still enjoyed all of these and they didn't seem to age too badly.

Even the Sweeney and the Professionals are still good today and I would put Regan up against James McNulty any day of the week

I hate to admit it, but I was a real big Friends fan when it first was released (and I am ashamed to admit, a big big fan). Still haven't seen the last 3 series of Friends and I possitively hate it now, simply because it's on every single sky channel all the time. Same with the Simpsons, used to love, now I hate it.

Best cartoon series has to be The Justice League. I even love the straight to Blu-Ray feature length episodes and the new one is very good.

Still even The Justice League isn't a patch on Battle of the Planets... Now that's a cartoon and a half
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
My Opinion:

Network TV Dramas: Much worse. Stuck in a total rut! So bad that the only thing that seems to make it are spinoffs. Seriously, how many Law and Orders and CSI series can you watch?

Network TV Comedy: Worse than usual. For the masses product, so it's usually low grade and full of easy to digest laughs... but they're just so dumb! They've gotten dumber than usual. Whitney made me want to hurl. Even The Big Bang Theory, once stripped of nerd humour, is as inane as Two and a Half Men (it makes me wonder if Big Bang Theory is really just exploiting and condescending towards geeks, either way, makes us geeks look very unflattering, petty, and childish.). Overall, network comedy sucks.

Network TV Scifi: Really downhill! Flashforward and Terra Nova were dull as hell. Fringe was great, but this season's seemed to have jumped the shark. I rather like Alcatraz, but dread what that will do to Fringe (JJ Abrams has ADD when it comes to his creations). Anything new just comes off as dull and uninteresting.

Premium Channel Shows: Excellent! The best tv is not coming from the major networks, but rather from the premium channels. ABC, NBC and Fox, long used to making simple and unchallenging shows for the masses (and rejecting anything good) are being upstaged by AMC, FX, HBO. I'm loving shows like Broadway Empire, Breaking Bad, Spartacus, Sons of Anarchy, Burn Notice, etc. The only downside is they may be getting lazy too (The Walking Dead is going at a zombielike pace). Still, if it wasn't for premium channels... we'd have nothing good on TV.

Oh, and it's even extended to Cartoons. It'd pit any episode of Archer against Family Guy or The Simpsons in a blind viewing, and see which one gets the most laughs.

Reality TV: Total garbage! But admittedly, I watch some. No... not Jersey Shore. I find it either cruel to put such idiots on display, or exploitative if they're really putting on an act. The reality shows I watch tend to be about cool people with cool stuff. I watch Pawn Stars, Auction Hunters and American Pickers... but not for the personalities. I could care less about them... expecially the Mikey's and Chumlee's whom I can't stand. I just watch the shows to see all the cool stuff and learn some of it's history! The people involved are mere props. Down in front, antique expert, I wanna see the cool antique!

What is my overall opinion?

Yes, TV's getting worse. But it's Network TV that's going this way. It's my tastes that evolved to something either more edgy or more sophisticated, and network TV can't do that. Why? Because they have to appeal to a broader audience. They can't go too challenging, they can't go too obscure or too intellectual, or they'll lose the audience, who just frankly wants to be entertained.

That's where premium channels fill the void. They draw in audiences that are looking for a special something, audiences that want more out of their TV, and will pay extra to get it. So they deliver, and bring some really good, compelling television as a result.

So there. Network TV going down the tubes. Premium TV delivering the best. That's my personal assessment.