Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Does not help when piracy has been so bad and people somehow think its acceptable like things in the world can be created and not paid for!

Ratings are false also, money is not allocated properly and potentially good series are not giving the financial chance a series would have got 20 years ago. Many people do not watch episodes until they are available for torrents.

The audience is not exactly getting much more intelligent either. In the UK there is a show called "The Only Way Is Essex", biggest lot of crap along with Big Brother! Mind numbing, couch potato, none educational or artistic CRAP!

In this current world economy the lower class get even more stupid in general due to poorer education, more crime and less interesting in University because the jobs aren't there for more professions.

So we'll see a lot more mind numbing TV series coming soon.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
DS9 - full of quality humor from Garak, a good strong storyline, quite sturdy more towards the end.
VOY - admittedly i hardly watch it because its like TNG in the delta quadrant, although there are some episodes that stand out.
TNG - there are some hilarious moments, mostly through the late Majel who played Lwaxana and her 'relationship' with picard. some strong episodes, but there were some truely dreadful episodes.
TOS - *falls a sleep* only a few episodes that are worth watching.
ENT - along TNG in the early years, some concerntration needed to keep focus on S3 but S4 was okay though.
SG1 - Started great, a lull of quality at S7-S8, a good strong S9 and S10. lot some dredful episodes as well
SGA - Really like Shepard's humor, Mackay always being the comical relief and chaos causer and the basicness of Ronan rex while being a tough son of a gun.
SGU - lacking in quality in regards to pauses during the arc so there are times where it refreshes the viewers interest once more, towards the end of S1 it got more interesting.
Farscape - Started great and ended great, even the peacekeeper wars was good.
Babylon 5 - A good start, really like Garibadi's humor and use of words, big bad wars. admittedly im not that interested in S5 but it does keep the ball rolling through the films and the overall story arc during the B4 time travel incident, no fan of the marytr storyline.
B5 Crusade - that was alot of fun to watch, although some of the characters were a bit under-utilized for my liking.
Star Wars - was okay, but i hated the constant QQ of the young aniken skywalker before becoming evil. highly unnessisary for a film and a total turn off.
BSGo - the original was not that great and probably explains only lasting a season.
BSGr - The reimagined version is better, but it revolves around 'God' and a 'destiny'. i tried not to pay any attention to this stuff of mad religious nonsense as its a real turn off. it had a couple of really weak episodes but some of it was good.
Dr Who - dr what? ive never seen it past a few epsiodes and hated it unconditionally.
X-files - that was plain boring, i saw a enough episodes to want those hours of my life back.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
There were always bad and good tv shows at any time. Also, personal taste is a factor as well.

When I first heard of The Walking Dead, I said to myself, well a zombie film as a show, letīs see. Since then Iīm astonished how much I enjoy it. The zombie part is really irrelevant, the reaction to a hopeless scenario and the death of civilization is what really captures me.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I really think that creativity is being strangled, and networks are taking the safe road more and more. All we see is more reality crap, CSI, Law & Order "choong-choong" shows. It was sad to see Lost come to an end.

BTW ... V also cancelled

Anyone seen the trailers to "The River"?
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
I have not bothered to watch TV in over a decade, and likewise I don't bother with most movies too.

The plotwriters need to be fired for being unable to do things differently, you know, create a new formulae of psychological immersion instead of using Hollywood stereotypes just like everyone else does. And stop abusing my favourite lady characters, they don't need to go through that **** to make the show 'feel more human'. That's what a plot and a story is for.

I will make a point to catch cult favourites like Firefly and S:AAB because frankly, they're awesome. That means dumped by conservative networks
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I avoid anything they refer to as a "Gripping Crime Drama"
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Does not help when piracy has been so bad and people somehow think its acceptable like things in the world can be created and not paid for!
Most shows do not run on pay-TV channels, so unless a significant number of those NIelsen households are rather pirating shows then watching them on their TV, there is no money lost. They still can sell their shows overseas. And on DVD.

I bet that most TV piracy has to do with the simple fact that it takes forever for TV shows to be availalbe outside the US. That is absolutely a money waste they are doing there - they wait for months or years before they make any "foreign" money on the property, instead of enabling a timely world-wide access hat would bring them money earlier - circumventing not only a lot of "convencience based piracy", but also enabling them to determine wether a show will be profitable and could use some investment or not much earlier.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011

Ratings are false also, money is not allocated properly and potentially good series are not giving the financial chance a series would have got 20 years ago. Many people do not watch episodes until they are available for torrents.

The audience is not exactly getting much more intelligent either. In the UK there is a show called "The Only Way Is Essex", biggest lot of crap along with Big Brother! Mind numbing, couch potato, none educational or artistic CRAP!

In this current world economy the lower class get even more stupid in general due to poorer education, more crime and less interesting in University because the jobs aren't there for more professions.

So we'll see a lot more mind numbing TV series coming soon.
Agreed!

However, I do pay my cable bill, so I don't feel bad about downloading tv episodes. My computer, essentially, becomes a glorified VCR.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Most shows do not run on pay-TV channels, so unless a significant number of those NIelsen households are rather pirating shows then watching them on their TV, there is no money lost. They still can sell their shows overseas. And on DVD.

I bet that most TV piracy has to do with the simple fact that it takes forever for TV shows to be availalbe outside the US. That is absolutely a money waste they are doing there - they wait for months or years before they make any "foreign" money on the property, instead of enabling a timely world-wide access hat would bring them money earlier - circumventing not only a lot of "convencience based piracy", but also enabling them to determine wether a show will be profitable and could use some investment or not much earlier.
red tape, red tape and and you guessed it more red tape! there are alot more problems then you realize trying to get stuff like this out of the states.

besides another side to the two faced coin of pirating is that it can promote more buying of products, if its trialled and likely it gets bought to support them, otherwise its left in the cold and righly so, who would you watch a tv show about paint drying? nothing interesting about that at all, unless your content with such a ludicrous waste of time and effort, lol. im not saying its right or wrong, im just stating that people like to know what they are getting in this day and age especially where money is needed in the household.
Lt. Commander
# 30 TV Shows
03-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't think TV shows are getting worse. I just think the whole entertainment universe is undergoing a tremendous change. Many of us are old enough to remember when there were just the 3 networks and a few local channels. Now there's a HUGE number of channels plus the internet. In all of that you're bound to find programs that run the gamut from excellent to stink-o-roonie MAX. I was not a fan of the new BSG. It lacked imagination and the whole "machines seeking God" thing has been done MUCH better other places (V'Ger). That said some shows I have loved in the past decade or so: Farscape, Lexx, The Invisible Man, Dr. Who, Terra Nova, Rome (that was TRULY a great show), Carnivale, Deadwood, Babylon 5, Deep Space 9, Special Unit 2, Lost Girl, Sanctuary, Pushing Daisies... just to name a few. Some of those I REALLY hated to see go, such as Pushing Daisies. Terra Nova I hated to see go but it came as no surprise. I had a lot of complaints about the premise but I've never seen a Sci Fi show I didn't. It was still a really good show. But it was just too costly to produce. Some of them, such as Lexx, actually lasted longer than they probably should have. I would have loved to see one more season of Carnivale and one more season of Rome to take us into the reign of Augustus. The internet, I believe, is in the process of truly changing the whole game as more and more people realize they can produce quality products of their own. What will TRULY change the game is the development of far more immersive VR tech. A holodeck in every home heheheheheh.