Lt. Commander
# 11
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
What did he say that has you so miffed?
He agreed with a tweet that was insulting the players. That kind of miffed me. A lot. But really I've not been a fan since the Nebula design. Just overall a history of doing two things:

1- Degrading the ship balance system that the game had at launch.
2- Making one super duper "cool" ship (the excelsior) really attractive in its layout, but then making the Nebula a science ship that turns like a cruiser and has no punch/firepower. Overall just really making that ship not up to par against what we learned later was one of Cryptic's favorite ships (the Lakota).

I just see inconsistent design and development parameters being adhered to. And that gets called "balance."

Heh.

So that's why I'm not a fan.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Ya, he's made a lot of people angry repeatedly.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
He agreed with a tweet that was insulting the players. That kind of miffed me.
ever wondered how the shocking abuse and insults that some members of the playerbase throw at the devs, affect them?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
1. He has no idea how to slot in the Ambassador. Simple. Ahead of Excelsior, behind Galaxy. Instead, he is going to ignore canon and slot it in as a Tier 3, which makes it equal to the Excelsior (not ahead of it) and actually makes the ship LESS than the Enterprise Refit Excelsior, which came BEFORE the Ambassador.

Rule #1: If you are going to work on a Trek game, know thy Trek.
He is aware of that. But another ship there doesn't meet the needs of the game and creates an imbalance in terms of types of ships in a given tier. Also, technically, the Enterprise-B is already represented NOT by the Tier 3 Excelsior (which is done up like Sulu's ship) but by the Tier 5 Excelsior, which is the Lakota/Enterprise-B design.

No comment on the Olympic thing.

Quote:
3. More Thundercats? Excuse me? This is Star Trek. Not Thundercats. We should not be trying to incorporate ANYTHING from Thundercats, be it hairstyles or whatever. If it was a joke, it wasn't very funny. If it's NOT a joke, I'm curious what CBS has to say about that, since it's a completely different IP, and I highly doubt they want to contaminate the Trek IP in such a manner.
Star Trek is buffet style sci-fi. It takes sci-fi concepts, tweaks them to work within its brand, and then makes them popular. Name any sci-fi element you want but none of it was original to to Star Trek.

The core of Trek is that it repackages other people's sci-fi with a spin on it that makes it work for Trek.

It's like Harry Potter. There's nothing in that aside from the food mentioned in it (and not butter beer; that's a real thing) that's totally unique to J.K. Rowling. She arranged it all in a very clever way in relation to one another, a way that fits and feels cohesive.

That's what Trek is. If it appears in sci-fi or fantasy, it would almost be less Trek NOT to consider it fair game. (Actually, the most original idea in Trek got dropped after TOS because audiences couldn't stomach it -- and that was duplicates of Earth in space; funny thing is, that's probably reality IN ADDITION to parallel universes but it makes people feel funny. And even Gene Roddenberry based that on some scientific theory.) Star Trek takes from other sci-fi and adapts it to feel more Star Trek.

The idea of "Star Trek purity" is like eugenics. It's a weird fantasy. Doesn't exist. There was never anything that was "pure Star Trek." It was always other sci-fi (and fantasy and new age) sources hammered out and stapled together VERY WELL by brilliant, talented, and passionate creative people.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
ever wondered how the shocking abuse and insults that some members of the playerbase throw at the devs, affect them?
Clients say things about me at work that make me angry, too. I don't call them names in a public space where they may see it. It's called professionalism.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
Doesn't matter, they still should not allow it to affect their interaction with their customers, which is what the palyer base is after all. If they are taking criticism of the game as a personal insult then it is time to take a holiday.

Incase you are wondering yes I have been in situations where getting abuse from customers came as part of the job, auxillary nurse, barman, and customer service in a television sales channel. I did not like it but I also did not allow it to affect the way I dealt with the people I came into contact with as part of those jobs.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Clients say things about me at work that make me angry, too. I don't call them names in a public space where they may see it. It's called professionalism.
do they directly insult you. call you an idiot, a moron, incompetent, greedy, corrupt, swear at you, almost every day, not matter what you do. insult your intelligence, your dedication, your integrity. do you suffer constant abuse all year round?

its not their job to be abused to insulted and when they withdraw themselves for the forums? what happens. oh right they get insulted for no longer communicating. it sickens me the way some members of the forums speak to them. i find it amazing that we just say say to them they should take it and never bite back because its their job. no its not. i know this is the internet but would it kill the players to show some respect. maybe oif they stop attacking them they might get some respect back.

some of the playerbase, and it is only some, deserve to be brought back down to earth once in a while. they show no respect to them and deserve none in return. so i have no sympathy because their feelings have been hurt after the insults they fling at them.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia
Doesn't matter
no it really, really does matter. and that the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
It should be noted that Geko didnt actually call anyone a name. He seemingly agreed with a tweet that did so. And that tweet linked to a post on the forums that wasnt actually calling people names, just telling them off. So there is some debate whether he was agreeing with the tweet itself or the post, but he never clarified which.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
I prefer my devs less professional and more direct. I prefer to be called on my male cow extrement (even if it sucks feeling that for a while) than having them retreat from the forums or, say, putting me on Ignore.
There is not a little bit of requirement for the devs to post anything at all on the forums or on twitter. They do it because they care.
As much as we disagree with some of their decision and point out flaws in their design and thinking (justified or not), they deserve respect, and the option to deal with disrespect leveled against them.