Lt. Commander
# 41
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
The content you call "FEs" were the result of them moving most of the developers over to Guild Wars 2 development.(Looks great doesn't it?) However before that, Guildwars had 3 expansions with 2 separate continents full of content and new gameplay and multiple major additions to the game for FREE including those "FEs" called Guildwars Beyond.

That's because ArenaNET is not Cryptic. Their methods and business practices are very different. I've played Guild Wars since 2005, I have a lot of experience with that company.
The 2 additional campaigns (even EoTN to an extent) were quite large additions to the game, and worth the $40-60 a pop. But honestly, if they didn't come out with them, GW Prophecies was a short game, with limited replayable and end-game content, much like STO was at launch (and to some, still today). Imagine if STO went with campaigns/expansions instead, would it be as "successful" as the microtransaction approach? Looking back, all the non-campaign/expansion additions GW1 had seem almost the same in terms of impact/frequency as STO, especially if you don't count the skill rebalances (which were simply needed).

I can say the same thing about my experience with GW, I purchased Prophecies a month after release, and have every expansion on my main account, and 2 alt accounts. My experience is as valid as yours, obviously we saw GW1 slightly differently. Don't get me wrong, GW1 and AN are two entities I am very glad to have in my gaming life, but the type of abuse for what STO/Cryptic has endured for what they brought is far worse than what GW/AN went through, even with definite disservices to their customer bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Well, GW2 isn't out yet, so I don't know how you've spent money on it. GW1 is an amazing game and although there's constant rebalancing, that's because there are over 1,200 skills in Guild Wars and dual profession builds.

I've never had a problem with ArenaNet's support, I've never had my account hacked, none of my guild mates have ever had their accounts hacked.

Guild Wars does not offer any "gameplay impacting" microtransaction items (unless you consider how much you can store in your bank gameplay impacting).

Don't devalue a good game and a great company trying to make Cryptic look better.
I preordered GW2 with EB Games (although that was like 2 years ago and my credit card wasn't charged, but for $30 a copy, I was easily in for two ). Yes, GW1 was (overly, admittedly by the devs) complex with so many skills and dual professions to keep balanced, and every game needs to try to balance the game, whether you have 8^2 class combos or "just" 3.

I'm glad you didn't have problems with AN support, I can say the same for my experience with STO/Atari/PWE.

I personally unlocked everything by playing the game (man, that Skill Hunter title was quite the trek), but I would say that the PvP Access Kit, Pet Unlock Pack, Game of the Year Upgrade, and Skill Unlock Packs very much affect one's gameplay, allowing one to pay for items/pets/skills that one would otherwise have to "earn" through regular gameplay (and in the case of the GotY bonus items, exclusive). They may not all be exclusive store items (say like the T5 Excelsior), but then again, GW1 doesn't have the option to use in-game earned currency to obtain all store items.

I am not devaluing GW1/AN for the sake of STO/Cryptic, I am simply stating my perspective of how different games/developers have issues with the customer service topics that Superchum observed. I hold GW/AN with a very high prestige (STO/C to a lesser extent), but it doesn't mean I cannot acknowledge deficiencies to both.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
@490, need 10 more to get the specs!

https://twitter.com/#!/captaingeko
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh, and followed. Be great to see the stats (whether we like them or not).
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
@492 c'mon c'mon 2 in the last couple minutes
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Just 7 more...someone go make 7 friends. :p
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Down to 6 now. Aw come on guys, can we make this before CaptainGeko goes home for the day?
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
3. More Thundercats? Excuse me? This is Star Trek. Not Thundercats. We should not be trying to incorporate ANYTHING from Thundercats, be it hairstyles or whatever. If it was a joke, it wasn't very funny. If it's NOT a joke, I'm curious what CBS has to say about that, since it's a completely different IP, and I highly doubt they want to contaminate the Trek IP in such a manner.
LOL @ taking Thundercats gag seriously
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Reports of a server crash = Possibility that Geko might have to log overtime.

There is still time.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricated View Post
The 2 additional campaigns (even EoTN to an extent) were quite large additions to the game, and worth the $40-60 a pop. But honestly, if they didn't come out with them, GW Prophecies was a short game, with limited replayable and end-game content, much like STO was at launch (and to some, still today). Imagine if STO went with campaigns/expansions instead, would it be as "successful" as the microtransaction approach? Looking back, all the non-campaign/expansion additions GW1 had seem almost the same in terms of impact/frequency as STO, especially if you don't count the skill rebalances (which were simply needed).

I can say the same thing about my experience with GW, I purchased Prophecies a month after release, and have every expansion on my main account, and 2 alt accounts. My experience is as valid as yours, obviously we saw GW1 slightly differently. Don't get me wrong, GW1 and AN are two entities I am very glad to have in my gaming life, but the type of abuse for what STO/Cryptic has endured for what they brought is far worse than what GW/AN went through, even with definite disservices to their customer bases.

I am not devaluing GW1/AN for the sake of STO/Cryptic, I am simply stating my perspective of how different games/developers have issues with the customer service topics that Superchum observed. I hold GW/AN with a very high prestige (STO/C to a lesser extent), but it doesn't mean I cannot acknowledge deficiencies to both.
There were 3 campaigns. Despite Eye being and add-on to a familiar continent, the areas were completely new. Prophecies was originally seen as an introduction to PvP. It was not gigantic, but I wouldn't call it short. You could not burn through Prophecies unless you knew where everything was and how to get through them. Endgame was PvP. But that did not go over well with the growing PvE crowd, so story was made the spotlight when Factions came around. PvP was STILL the endgame by then. PvP didn't take a backseat until Nightfall.

Comparing to ArenaNET was simply a bad choice. Aside from support concerns, the way those games were handled were completely different and had a drastically different outcome for both their users and the companies involved.

I'd imagine that STO would be a better game if they looked at it as a value proposition to customers rather than which item to milk for a dime.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
There were 3 campaigns. Despite Eye being and add-on to a familiar continent, the areas were completely new. Prophecies was originally seen as an introduction to PvP. It was not gigantic, but I wouldn't call it short. You could not burn through Prophecies unless you knew where everything was and how to get through them. Endgame was PvP. But that did not go over well with the growing PvE crowd, so story was made the spotlight when Factions came around. PvP was STILL the endgame by then. PvP didn't take a backseat until Nightfall.

Comparing to ArenaNET was simply a bad choice. Aside from support concerns, the way those games were handled were completely different and had a drastically different outcome for both their users and the companies involved.

I'd imagine that STO would be a better game if they looked at it as a value proposition to customers rather than which item to milk for a dime.
I don't think it was a matter of milking.

I think it's that Cryptic has never had significant access to advanced funding for its games.

It's not like Cryptic said, "We'll make this cheap and grab everyone's cash." I think it's more like, "Well, looks like this is as much money as we can scrape together. We don't have the money to do what we want but we'll do what we can with this and hope to make more later."