Lt. Commander
# 51
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Only 4 away from 500!
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-08-2012, 03:19 PM

498!!! Only TWO LEFT!!! Hurry, servers are down, there's nothing else to do!
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
499, 1 Moar!!!
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Seriously, any takers on #500?

Remember folks:

"Obedience Brings Victory. Victory is Life."
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-08-2012, 03:29 PM

500! Done deal! Yay.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes!!!!!!

Okay CaptainGeko, we did our part. Now you do yours!

(You know, after the servers are back up...)
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

500! Done deal! Yay.
In the words of Gir...

GIMME!
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM
All right, Geko, out with it!
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
There were 3 campaigns. Despite Eye being and add-on to a familiar continent, the areas were completely new. Prophecies was originally seen as an introduction to PvP. It was not gigantic, but I wouldn't call it short. You could not burn through Prophecies unless you knew where everything was and how to get through them. Endgame was PvP. But that did not go over well with the growing PvE crowd, so story was made the spotlight when Factions came around. PvP was STILL the endgame by then. PvP didn't take a backseat until Nightfall.

Comparing to ArenaNET was simply a bad choice. Aside from support concerns, the way those games were handled were completely different and had a drastically different outcome for both their users and the companies involved.

I'd imagine that STO would be a better game if they looked at it as a value proposition to customers rather than which item to milk for a dime.
Semantics or I'm simply reading you wrong, but I said there 2 additional campaigns (namely Factions and Nightfall); Prophecies obviously being the first/original one, and EoTN officially an expansion (but yes, quite a large one at that). I did not see GW as an intro PvP (the PvE content was far more interesting, and maybe that's why I got through it quicker than others) and it wasn't until Factions with the alliance territory control feature that I got into that side of the game. That is also why I didn't find much end-game content with Proph, PvP wasn't that interesting to me.

And that's the thing, I was only trying to compare GW/AN and STO/C according to concerns with how they dealt with customer service/support-related issues and community feedback. I am far more satisfied with GW on the whole than STO when taking into consideration every facet of gaming, and many times wished that STO did something close to what GW did (class mechanics, territory control, various types of PvP, even something as simple as the in-game map or compass).
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I don't think it was a matter of milking.

I think it's that Cryptic has never had significant access to advanced funding for its games.

It's not like Cryptic said, "We'll make this cheap and grab everyone's cash." I think it's more like, "Well, looks like this is as much money as we can scrape together. We don't have the money to do what we want but we'll do what we can with this and hope to make more later."
That's precisely why ArenaNET went in the direction they chose. They knew that they couldn't get ahead by doing subscriptions from the beginning and microstransactions was a foreign concept to users at the time (It still is to an extent.). Cryptic was with NCSoft at the time and could have easily picked up on how it was done.

They won't be able to keep up the pace they're going now through only microtransactions. They need something meatier.