Lt. Commander
I was just thinking last night (dangerous I know!) while playing in the Alpha Centauri sector, how strange it was to see Romulan (and Reman) "Enemy Signal Contacts" floating all over the place in Federation space - as far in as almost Memory Alpha.

Now, while the galaxy at large is engaged in a general war, there are still borders which are defended. Having an Enemy Signal Contact deep within another factions territory can (and should) happen, but it should be a very rare occurance (and if defeated, should go away).

Increasing (by moving existing ESCs out of enemy teritories) the number of Enemy Signal Contacts within their respective 'home' areas, would make more sense as these would be internal patrols protecting their space.

It especially didn't make any sense for the Romulan ESCs because technically the Romulans (and Remans - which there are WAY too many of BTW) are not at war with the Federation. The Romulans if anything are still honoring the Neutral Zone as a 'do not cross' border.

Now with the Klingons, there is an open state of war, but again there are still 'front lines' which qualify as a border. The ocassional Klingon raiding party or task force should be encountered within Fed space (and visa versa), but the number of ESCs should be nowhere what they are now in areas of Fed (or Klingon) space.

As for True Way and Dominion ESCs, they seem to be just right given the nature of the politics of the area and the kind of opponents they are (they are relatively 'borderless' enemies). The same could be said for Borg and Undine ESCs but those are already confined to their own areas (except for the special Borg offensive event going on across all sectors).

Does any of this make sense to anyone else? I mean why have borders/front lines at all if the enemy is constantly and freely flying around in your space? Shouldn't they be on their side of the border protecting it from YOU? :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
The Romulans if anything are still honoring the Neutral Zone as a 'do not cross' border.
I'm not sure they are. I mean, their new capital is on the wrong side.

Though that's an entirely different problem - I actually agree with you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
I'm not sure they are. I mean, their new capital is on the wrong side.

Though that's an entirely different problem - I actually agree with you.
LOL!

I totally agree that Rator III being on the wrong side of the Neutral Zone is an embarrassment to STO. During the rush to get the game live two years ago, some poor Dev just drew a line for the Neutral Zone (that to this day has no meaning) - and didn't have time for someone to check his work. At least they didn't make the mistake of drawing the Klingon frontlines (though if you look at the colors on the map in sector space of Pi Canis, the Guardian of Forever is actually in Klingon space ). Hopefully these issues will be addressed in a future map upgrade (pretty please Devs ).

But back on subject, having the occasional ESC make it into enemy territory that could be removed by player action would be actually something that people would go after instead of ignore (as they do for the most part now). Maybe using the same kind of timing mechanic in place now for the Borg incursions?

For those players looking for ESC action - they would actually become 'raiders', going into enemy territory seeking out these patrols to engage them (ESCs within their home area would NOT be removed by enemy action - functioning just as they do now). To make things a little more realistic, the "suck you in" mechanic that all ESCs originally had would be applied once again to ESCs within their own territory to simulate them actively defending their space. This would make doing missions in enemy territory more interesting by actually having to try to avoid enemy patrols instead of mearly ignoring them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
But back on subject, having the occasional ESC make it into enemy territory that could be removed by player action would be actually something that people would go after instead of ignore (as they do for the most part now). Maybe using the same kind of timing mechanic in place now for the Borg incursions?
This was actually something I was hoping for from the start - that Red Alerts would become more diverse, not always the same basic Borg fight. The mirror incursion is a perfect example of an alternate red alert. I've got some of that hope back after the D'derix Defender leak was explained as a new enemy for an upcoming 5 man mission.