Lt. Commander
# 21
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
New Jem shield looks tasty.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Details please
03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
What is the duration and cooldown of this item? And does it do real damage while it's up or more like the Aenar's decoy?

The answers to this question will determine whether I'm trying to get this for every alt or just play normally like I have been.

Of course, without these answers we'll still know Saturday.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Now, for the finale of "The 2800," we have a new limited-time reward: the Shard of Possibilities. A gift from the Prophets for your role in defending Bajor, this item gives a character the ability to summon two "Quantum Shadows" to assist you in battle. The arrival of these duplicates will confuse most foes, making you briefly untargetable. After they fight by your side for a short time, the shadows will return to their own realities.
I can do without this. the reward is worthless. unexpected, a copy of something that already exists *cough* you can already beam down 2 security guards in combat. same thing *cough*. would have been better off to say with the pattern of using the boff as the final reward. how could anyone actually think this is in any way useful? No different than those security officers you can summon in combat and they've never been useful either.

Quote:
I gotta say, this FE series is shaping up to be the one with the best rewards to date.
not even close. but it is at least keeping in line with the below mediocre quality of the rest of the FE

Quote:
It says "You become briefly untargetable" - Sounds like an out to me!
watch people find a way to exploit it or to grief with it
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
So I got a Remodulator, Tribble, Cane & the Orb. Crap where am I gonna keep my hypos? And Horta Combat pet?

/Snip
I honestly think there should be new separate slots for pets on both characters and ships, which was a thread topic that BranFlakes passed along in a feedback report not long ago.
Lt. Commander
# 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
I can do without this. the reward is worthless. unexpected, a copy of something that already exists *cough* you can already beam down 2 security guards in combat. same thing *cough*. would have been better off to say with the pattern of using the boff as the final reward. how could anyone actually think this is in any way useful? No different than those security officers you can summon in combat and they've never been useful either.

not even close. but it is at least keeping in line with the below mediocre quality of the rest of the FE

watch people find a way to exploit it or to grief with it
Why don't you just admit that there is absolutely nothing that Cryptic can do that will ever make you happy?
This rewards is great and totally unexpected.
Lt. Commander
# 26 First
Only tac officers get security team so it does seem to have some benefit for sci and eng captains. If it's extra damage then it also has some small benefit. If it allows people to tank STF bosses while untargetable it has some niche use there. So I don't think it's useless, but its value is still debatable.

I do have to say it wasn't what I expected. With all the Jem'Hadar bonus stuff I thought we'd be getting the ability to make a Jem'Hadar captain. I guess we will still get that ability once the First Officer to Captain system is put in.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
So everyone can summon redshirts now?

Seriously though, I love the idea of giving everyone an Orb shard!
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Phased Polaron Beams! Polaron-Tetryon hybrid weapons!?

Hope the visual and audio effects are canon accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I can answer a few quick questions on the mechanics of the Shard of Possibilities:

Q: Does it scale with your level, or is it always level 24 Quantum Shadows?

A: The Quantum Shadows match your level exactly. Additionally, although they are technically NPCs and therefore don't start with the same base stats as you, all of their offensive and defensive capabilities are set to scale off of your skills. So if you invest in weapon damage ground skills, their weapon damage will improve.

Q: What good does making you "briefly untargetable" do?

A: Primarily, this is a means to force the enemy to reacquire their target, but now with 3x as many targets to choose from. The untargetable period only lasts 1-2 seconds, and so is not highly exploitable, and does not affect any aggro you have acquired up to that point -- once the untargetable period ends, any enemies that have a high threat level toward you, will reacquire you as their preferred target. However, if you are in combat at the moment you use the item, it will also give off an AOE confuse pulse that lasts about 8 seconds, further enhancing targeting difficulties for enemies within weapon distance.

Q: Does this work with the Doffs that beam in extra Security Team members?

A: I truthfully do not know, and will ask Heretic to confirm an answer one way or another. I suspect it does not.

Q: Do the Quantum Shadows REALLY match me?

A: Yes, but in appearance only. Regardless of how zany your alien is, the Shadows will match your outfit exactly. However, they will not have the same equipment as you, so if you usually show off your armor and kits, they will not be displayed on your Quantum Shadows - just the outfit you set for yourself in the Tailor. They also have standard weaponry rather than copying yours - a Phaser Rifle for Feds, and a Disruptor weapon for KDF. They deal very real damage however, unlike the Aenar decoys.

-----

I hope that clarifies its functionality a bit. I'll try and check in to answer more questions if they arise, but I'm actually on vacation right now, so no promises.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous_Daswe
Its better than a kick in the balls so it's always a plus.

Suppose it'll be funny it used on STF's 5 become 15 briefly.
Indeed..this will become helpful.

But...although I great apreciate this...it seems strange to say the least...random alternate universe versions of yourself....why?