Lt. Commander
Signatures aren't hosted here. Why the filesize limitation?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Because it's a rule. They set the rules, we follow them.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
Some misconception that low-end connections that tend to slow the general internet, and limit technological progression should be taken into account... Unless of cause they in some screwed up way are actually "downloading" the signature to their server first, and then sends it to the user... wich would be idiotic... So I doubt that.

To me that is sort of like not creating games that take advantage of the newest graphics cards on the market... We would still be stuck at Pong, if they had done that.

I can see the reason for limiting height and width however... some of thoose sigs out there are horrible and mess up the setup of the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Some misconception that low-end connections that tend to slow the general internet, and limit technological progression should be taken into account... Unless of cause they in some screwed up way are actually "downloading" the signature to their server first, and then sends it to the user... wich would be idiotic... So I doubt that.

To me that is sort of like not creating games that take advantage of the newest graphics cards on the market... We would still be stuck at Pong, if they had done that.

I can see the reason for limiting height and width however... some of thoose sigs out there are horrible and mess up the setup of the forums.
I believe the rule originated because some of the forum admins would access the site for moderation purposes, using bandwidth limited (European) or wireless connections, or slower performing machines (netbook, laptop) and large images "clogged the pipes" for the people whose JOB it was to police the content on the forums.

Remember, every page has ten posts, and if that page has 10 signatures, that's 10 external servers that have to be found, queried, and then that's 10 images that need to be received. at 50kb per signature, that's 500kb per page.. not counting the site specific images, code, css, and other things of that nature. Policing a thousand pages could mean half a gigabyte of data.. just for frivolous name tags. Tags that the admins CAN'T disable, because they have to be able to see them in case someone is putting abusive content in the images.

There was a long time during which we were not allowed to have images in our signatures. They gave them to us grudgingly, and they set some strictly enforced, but reasonable rules. They could have limited us to userbar sized images... or we could still be trying to make Commbadges with =/\=

Please respect the rules, even if you don't agree with them. This is a privilege we lobbied hard to get. Please don't give them an excuse to revoke it.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Because it's a rule. They set the rules, we follow them.
Sheesh, I'm just having a conversation.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Might want to check your own sig. (png format, 62.72 kb)

Btw, please remember that any text in your signature also counts against your 150px of height. The rules specify "total signature size" not "image size". You can't have 5 lines of text *AND* 150px of image height. Alecto's sig is a great example of how you should reduce an image in your sig, to make room for text.
That's interesting...
Because my file tells me it's jpg 30.3kb...
Imageshack is telling me it's jpg also...

Btw, Did you know that our Community Manager's signature violates the rules because it is too long?

Btw, did you know Alecto's signature violates the rules by using a png?

Btw, did you know your signature violates the rules by including to many blank lines?
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Couple of things come to mind.

1. Larger file sizes take longer for the client to download, thus reducing the onlione experience given by the forum. This would reflect badly, however inaccurately, on the site itself, due to lack of awareness otherwise of the general populace.

2. Actual size limitation takes away the possibility of have a post take up a huge space on a page and having to scroll down infinitely to find the next one.

Some forums dont allow picture sigs, links or customised avatars, so we should be grateful for what we have

EDIT: 6 lines in my sig from the old days - not allowed 6 now so reluctant to make mine a picture or change it whic would mean having to reduce the lines. Rare 6 line sig ftw!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaudeville View Post
1. Larger file sizes take longer for the client to download, thus reducing the onlione experience given by the forum. This would reflect badly, however inaccurately, on the site itself, due to lack of awareness otherwise of the general populace.

2. Actual size limitation takes away the possibility of have a post take up a huge space on a page and having to scroll down infinitely to find the next one.
1. I had a longer response originally written out, going on a little side-track about how I am more than aware of how computer networks work, but then I realized that probably would all come off as snarky and argumentative. I guess what originally motivated my comment was that the only cases on a forum wherein I've seen both the ability for users to have signatures and a filesize limit involved the signature image being uploaded to the forum server in the same way as the avatar image.

Well, no matter. At least this way there aren't any long animations or YouTube clips all over the place. I've got no actual problem with the 50 KB limit. Aside from animated banners, I don't believe any JPG signature I've ever put together over the years online has been that large.

2. I did state "file size" and not dimensions ;). I have been on enough forums to know users are ridiculous with the things they think have to be under every post they make. Even some of the ones here are bit large, imo.

e:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaudeville View Post
Some forums dont allow picture sigs, links or customised avatars, so we should be grateful for what we have ;)
To this and the other poster who seemed angry I even questioned it: Contrary to what other posts on this forum may lead a person to believe, not everything is brought up as a complaint. I was just curious -- hadn't honestly thought it was put in place to protect dial-up users, but I suppose there are a lot of 'em out there still!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Btw OP there's a thread over in the academy you should check out, link here for you (click).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Btw, Did you know that our Community Manager's signature violates the rules because it is too long?
That's only if the signature contains an image...

Quote:
Btw, did you know Alecto's signature violates the rules by using a png?
Suricata made these sigs and I told him some of the forum users would eventually pick up on the png format, and that we should change it but he wanted it to be all fancy. have it blend in to the background. :p lol

Quote:
Btw, did you know your signature violates the rules by including to many blank lines?
Now you're just being picky...
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
1. I had a longer response originally written out, going on a little side-track about how I am more than aware of how computer networks work, but then I realized that probably would all come off as snarky and argumentative. I guess what originally motivated my comment was that the only cases on a forum wherein I've seen both the ability for users to have signatures and a filesize limit involved the signature image being uploaded to the forum server in the same way as the avatar image.

Well, no matter. At least this way there aren't any long animations or YouTube clips all over the place. I've got no actual problem with the 50 KB limit. Aside from animated banners, I don't believe any JPG signature I've ever put together over the years online has been that large.

2. I did state "file size" and not dimensions . I have been on enough forums to know users are ridiculous with the things they think have to be under every post they make. Even some of the ones here are bit large, imo.

e:

To this and the other poster who seemed angry I even questioned it: Contrary to what other posts on this forum may lead a person to believe, not everything is brought up as a complaint. I was just curious -- hadn't honestly thought it was put in place to protect dial-up users, but I suppose there are a lot of 'em out there still!
Thanks for not posting your original reply - my comments were not meant in any way to demean you, it was a simple answer to a simple question, apologies if i was "teaching a grandmother to suck eggs". It wasnt actually referring to anything technical, simply a business reason why you wouldnt want your web site loading like a dog, putting off potential customers.

God knows they have enough ways of doing that without a slow forum ...