Lt. Commander
# 21
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
so in a nutshell its not the tribbles suddenly dropping dead but a matter of crossing the streams. gotcha
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
...snip...
I don't know if that helps or not, but everytime this happenes there is a noticable buildup before the crash. The game slows down, gets more and more slugish. As if I had bad lag or something. Once I published a smallish 2 maps foundry mission before such an event and it took 45 minutes. And shortly afterward, server gone.

Imagine it like a Windows that ran out of memory, it works but gets slower and slower. And then it runs out of swap memory, too an then its over. Hm, a bad memory leak?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
The free to play launch of STO was supported by a substantial upgrade to the hardware used to run the live game, and that hardware is more than adequate to support our current user load, which is substantially higher than before f2p launch. ...
Since Im not a programmer I dont really have a clue what youre talking about, but your explaination had me read up on the issue and gave me some understanding.

So, thank you, your transparent explaination is very much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Wow - an upfront and public answer that gives good info on what the issue is, and what's been done so far to try and correct it. For me, this level of transparancy is greatly appriciated, and this post should probably be sticked so more intereted parties can see it.

These kind of not easily reproduced issues truly suck as you never know its fixed until you finally have something running for way longer than it has been before, and you're always wondering if it will strike and cause havoc again. The fact you guys were able to effectively catch it in the act and get more useful info is a positive step, and one I hope leads to an eventual resolution.

I do appreciate the hard work you and the rest of the Cryptic Network and Server gurus are putting in to get his issue resolved and I hope you have success at doing so soon.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the update and best of luck to the team!
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
We have had a dedicated team working on this problem since the first crash....and are making progress towards a solution.
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticon-...ow-a-heart.gif
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
IWe have the resources we need, namely the people who know the code the best.
They have top men working on it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Let us always remember these eternal wisdoms:
  • Memory Management is too important to be left to the computer
  • Memory Management is too important to be left to the programmer
QFE
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
See i knew yall didnt know what you where doing, its a simple fix, just use a bigger hammer hehehehehehe
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Let us always remember these eternal wisdoms:
  • Memory Management is too important to be left to the computer
  • Memory Management is too important to be left to the programmer
So..leave it to Woz?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMerzan
See i knew yall didnt know what you where doing, its a simple fix, just use a bigger hammer hehehehehehe
Once a long time ago, in SubSpace's earliest days, one of the players was a guy who worked in a server farm as an admin. He once made a joke about how they fix server problems. He posted a picture of him taking a hammer to one of the servers in a large datacenter room.

I wanted to post that now to complement your post.
I scoured for HOURS for the image, went through thousands of thousands of images.
Entire gigabytes of archives.

Sadly, I failed.

Forgive me.