Lt. Commander
# 101
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Loved it.

Spacewalk: very picturesque - and spoiler free kept up the tension. It doesn't matter to me if there are Jem'Hadar on the hull or not. There might be - and that's the worrying thing.
Promenade: Used my personal cloak and snuck around a lot. Job's a good'un.
Ops: This took a while thanks to the Houdinis, but was good fun.
Space: Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. I can't remember how many times I died, other than that it was "many". Especially at the start when I couldn't even target properly.
Enterprise: Great choice of Captain- I personally really like Shon. I don't care that he's a new character taking the command of the Enterprise: Kirk and Picard were both new, once. The fact that the Odyssey has been out for a while now made it a little lacklustre when it flew in, though. The world and his wife has an Odyssey these days, this is hardly new.

But still a great episode!
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm amazed to people in this thread are complaining about the puzzle.

a) It's easy in the first place.
b) You should know how to do it, it's already in the game as part of one of the Defera Ground Invasion missions.
c) The methodology and steps to quickly complete it are also on STOwiki!
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Absolutely terrific!
Sorry, not time must do the mission with some other characters

EDIT:
I have to relativize my previous statement, playing this mission with a tactical character is just a pain, at least when it comes to the fights on the promenade.
The space battle is a much to confusing, dying a lot is nothing special....

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
As a heads up, the shard of possibilities (possibly named orb of possibilities early) was part of the game updates early last year. That's how long much of this series was delayed.
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah I rmemeber all those early leaked images and whatnot.
Lt. Commander
# 106
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I'll break this down into two parts. What I liked about this mission, and what I didn't like.

What I liked:
* The Space walk. The amount of work that went into making the exterior of DS9 come to life was nothing short of spectacular. I really felt like I was walking on DS9.
* The space suit. This was a really nice touch, somehow I knew that they weren't starfleet standard issue, and I'm really glad we were able to keep them after the mission.
* The cut scenes. For the most part these were fantastic.
* Fighting along side the Klingon Empire, the U.S.S. Defiant and the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F. I loved those details. I loved getting up close enough to the Enterprise's hull to actually read that serial number. I got a little kick out of having my *** saved by the flagship of the Federation.
* The detail of not being able to use abilities that required the use of a transporter. This was a really nice touch and added a really nice touch of game play.

What I didn't like:
* Kurland's tone of voice with me. I get it he's a captain, and for a decent number of players who are playing this live he will out rank them. Others, by the time they reach this mission once it is part of the DS9 sector story, will be Vice Admirals. Last I checked an Admiral out ranked a captain. I would have loved to have had the option to rebuke Kurland at the very least. At the very most, a different set of dialogue for ranks below Captain, equal to Captain, and above Captain.

* Moment of Stupid from Female Founder. Seriously, Jem'Hadar are Warriors not infiltrators line was the first sign that something was off with this mission. Jem'Hadar are the best infiltrators in the Galaxy. That was proved last episode when a ton of them managed to get into Facility 4028 without detection. So her comment really made no sense.

* Plot hole number 0. Jem'Hadar have it bread into them at the genetic level to obey the founders and through their command the Vorta. This is an absolute. This is the same problem that showed up during Facility 4028. It is unrealistic to beleive that the Jem'Hadar would ever break their loyalty to the founders. They even obeyed Odo for crying out loud. It doesn't make any sense.

* Plot hole number 1. How the heck did I get from the Jem'Hadar cruiser to the station besides walking out an airlock and suddenly being there. We were told the ship couldn't dock. We were told we couldn't beam over. How the heck did we get over?

* Plot hole number 2. At minimum one man managed to infiltrate DS9 and take the station back, while fighting at minimum 50 Jem'Hadar and their silent floating mines that generally kill anything they explode next to. I'm sorry. I don't buy it. No one in Starfleet is that good, and before anyone makes a comment about it no one in the KDF is that good either. Even in a series of 1 on 1 fights Worf was beaten by the fifth fight. I don't buy that one man was able to do this. A strike team of 15 people, or one very well armed away team size of 5? Sure, I'll buy that. But one man?

* Plot hole Number 3. Why the heck didn't that Jem'Hadar attack ship just lock a transporter onto my location, beam me up, and shoot me the second I materialized? Jem'Hadar are not Romulans, they aren't arrogant to believe that nothing can beat them. They do anything and everything to win, no matter how ruthless it is.

* Plot hole number 4. When Kurland said there's just too many of them. My immediate and vocal reaction to that was "YA THINK!" I wasn't able to get an accurate count of how many Jem'Hardar ships were fighting in the final battle, but I did manage to get a final tally of how many allied ships were with us after the Enterprise arrived. 8 ships total from both the Klingon Empire and the Federation were my support when we wen't to go retake the station. How many Ships are there supposed to be safe guarding DS9's part of the Bajorian System (which again they should have complete control over because of the sheer number of ships in the system)? 2,800? Nine ships vs two thousand eight hundred ships. Sure the ships are 30 years out of date, and sure we might not have had to fight all of them around DS9, but for the number of ships that we did fight, 9 ships winning against that makes absolutely no sense.

* The Enterprise's arrival. It was obvious that the Enterprise was going to show up and save our hides as soon as the fight started. It's Star Trek, it was bound to happen eventually, twice even in this game. First, that ship should not have arrived alone. Is it the Federation Flagship? Yes, yes it is. Is it the Hero ship? Yes, yes it is. Would even the Enterprise have been able to survive a fight of 9 vs 200? No, no it would not. That ship should have been leading the Calvary. Second, it's cut scene. I'm going to be completely blunt with this. Cryptic royally blew it. I'm not talking about the fact that it glitched, big time. I'm not talking about the fact that it was a simple cutscene when it warped in, that didn't help matters at all and only made it worse. This moment was a recreation of one of the most well known standards in all of Star Trek. Specifically, it was this moment and this moment. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there have been others. What is the one thing they both have in common when the Enterprise shows up to save the day? Aside from someone actually saying I'm picking up another ship? The ship theme music. That one, tiny tiny little detail is what makes that moment. This series has been in production for over a year. This plot point was known to happen back then. It had been hinted that the Enterprise F was going to show up in this series back when the Design the New Enterprise Contest started. And in that time, I find it unbelievable that Cryptic was unable to get CBS's help to use the music of the Enterprise coming in to save our collective butts in the nick of time. That alone was the biggest letdown of this entire episode. Had Cryptic been able to pull this off, I would have forgiven all the faults of this series, just to have experienced that.

Kurland's halfhearted invitation to join the crew of DS9. First, for every single player who is of a lower rank than Kurland, this sounds extremely awkward. Simply because why the heck would anyone ever think of giving up a command of their own to serve under someone else. Kurland, for all his faults shown during this episode (Sisko he is not, but he is still human, so why the heck was he treating the Prophet's like god's?) is not that stupid. A commanding officer of a Starship who is at any rank below captain is not going to give up that post. Second, no Captain would accept giving up their command to serve under him (or with him) on DS9. One does not rise to the rank of Captain, unless they are Kirk, by having that big of an ego. Third, for everyone who is of flag officer rank this sounded like Kurland was giving us an invitation to relieve him of his command. After the flack he gave his superior office at the beginning of this mission, whether he was joking or not, I would have taken him up on that invitation and relieve him of duty pending the results of his court martial for insubordination. And I would have enjoyed it.
Lt. Commander
# 107
03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthconnor View Post
Andorians were a militaristic race, exemplified in small part by weaponry without stun settings. They consider it an honor to serve in their Imperial Guard, and military rank greatly influenced social reputation. Deploring dishonesty -- and never fighting without reason -- Andorians were nonetheless capable of duplicity. They considered themselves deeply emotional, passionate, even violent; not known for their charity or sympathy, they placed a high value on family. (TOS: "Journey to Babel"; TAS: "Yesteryear") Imperial Guard members who died far from home could count on their companions to transport a body part back to the Andorian ices.

Unless something is added to wiki that they have recently given up on their recorded militaristic ways, and the way you have to convince him to stand for the others during the orginal meeting doesnt seem like a great Enterprise captain. Your opinion is yours that he'll make a swell captain but I for one disagree that he will be a captain good enough for the Enterprise's captains chair. Kurland would have made a better captain atleast he wanted everyone to work together and voiced that in the meeting along with helping throughout the series.

And humans are smelly, stuck-up, selfish, hairless apes =P My point in that being, you can pick the traits out that generalize a group or race, but that doesn't make it the case for them all, and everyone has the potential to rise above expectations.

Not only that, but this is hundreds of years after Enterprise, which is where most of that article is referencing from since Andorians, specifically the soldiers, featured heavily in it. I highly doubt every single Andorian acts just like Shran or those few we got to know under his command does, and doubtful that they would still act this way in the modern era, long after the need for their own separate military force faded away with the Federation's own Starfleet taking over for most. And the ones who join Starfleet go through the same training and classes early on like any human might.

Even though Captain Shon seems aggressive and a bit of a hardliner, isn't that a great point for him to begin to learn and adapt? While I previously mentioned non-human examples like Worf, Spock, and Data (who I know you vouched for as the only non-human to be worthy of the command, despite him having to *learn* to get to that point as well, both in command and being human), even captains like Picard or Kirk had to get past their own base natures to adapt and grow, Picard being the more visible change over the years through TNG, and even from the past we got to see him in.

Expanding on that, Picard, while human, was brash, arrogant, and thought he could take on the world. Then he got a blade stuck through his heart. That episode itself explained, in action and dialog by the end, that he had to *learn* through experience, through failures, to become the man, the captain, he is. Otherwise, as Q showed him, if he avoided those confrontations, acted the perfect Starfleet officer and avoided all his problems (such as getting into a fight with a group of violent Nausicaans and losing), he would have never have had the experience that made him command potential.

Captain Shon is no different. If you convince him in the first mission, that's already his first step, is it not? But either way, before and after his new command, he has, and will, make mistakes, fall to whatever base nature he has at some point. And like all the best captains before him, he'll either grow from it, or fail.

In fact, I didn't think much of Shon before, but having me really consider this...I don't think it's a bad idea at all...we'll surely have more adventures and missions where we'll bump into him, see how he's progressing...I say it'll be interesting, and hopefully fun =P I just hope the devs give us plenty of opportunities *hint hint, nudge nudge*
Lt. Commander
# 108
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I am just totally ANNOYED fighting those overwhelming force of Jem Hadar on the Promenade and then fighting them now in space. Normally i newer had a problem, but this Battle is just unfair. Every single Torpedo salvo just rips my shields apart, while mine dont even scratch their shields, is that suppoded to be fair or balanced?

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I am just totally ANNOYED fighting those overwhelming force of Jem Hadar on the Promenade and then fighting them now in space. Normally i newer had a problem, but this Battle is just unfair. Every single Torpedo salvo just rips my shields apart, while mine dont even scratch their shields, is that suppoded to be fair or balanced?

Live long and prosper.
That's why I'm hoping when this series is Rerun that "Phase Shifted Quantum Torpedo Launcher" and "Phase Shifted Polaron Turret" come to this mission.
Lt. Commander
# 110
03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
just my opinion but the Captain of the Enterprise should have been a human