Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 201
03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
I would argue that you didn't get 'saved' by it.
I'll disagree. When you consider that the Enterprise and Defiant can't die they are essential tanking and drawing aggro throughout the entire battle - keeping it away from you. In effect, their inability to die does save you. In fact, you can fly off into a corner and eat lunch for 10 minutes and when you come back everything will be dead - or the Dreadnought almost dead.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 202
03-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'll disagree. When you consider that the Enterprise and Defiant can't die they are essential tanking and drawing aggro throughout the entire battle - keeping it away from you. In effect, their inability to die does save you. In fact, you can fly off into a corner and eat lunch for 10 minutes and when you come back everything will be dead - or the Dreadnought almost dead.
Guess my groups haven't been lucky then. So far the Enterprise F has just been getting in our way as we killed everyone else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 203
03-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
And I agree with the OP that he would have been a far better choice for Enterprise captain than that doofy blue guy. They could have replaced him with another NPC to hand out those missions going forward.
Two problems.

One, Kurland being replaced would make him still be in Ops, unless they remove him from Ops and be the "absent commander" of DS9 outside the missions were he is a part of (Cardassian Front).

Two, if you completely replace him you get another Shon, Kurland is likable because of the Cardassian Front missions ... remove him from them and sudden is "Kurland who?" just like "Shon who?", personality wise we just seen more of Kurland that of Shon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 204
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Two problems.

One Kurland being replaced would make him still be in Ops, unless they remove him from Ops and be the "absent commander" of DS9 outside the missions were he is a part of (Cardassian Front).

Two, if you completely replace him you get another Shon, Kurland is likable because of the Cardassian Front missions ... remove him from them and sudden is "Kurland who?" just like "Shon who?", personality wise we just seen more of Kurland that of Shon.
Kurland is a horrible base commander. I mean he's had DS9 invaded TWICE now. And he LOST the whole station once!

Also, since when did the "Fleet" consist of like, 6 ships? Budget cuts? :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 205 Disappointing
03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Like the last mission, this one started great, space walk had a great atmosphere to it.
And then, after I made all this effort to sneak in, I start killing everyone I see on the Promenade Deck. Yeah, sure.
Additionally annoying facts are that I noticed in this mission that I can no longer use Shooter mode to project my Exothermic Induction Field where I want. Together with the fact that my Jam'Hadar rifle still refuses to fire in RPG mode unless I am already in combat, this was just a pain.
But the space battle was really bad. See, I'm a SCIENCE CAPTAIN in SCIENCE SHIP.
NOT BEING ABLE TO USE MY BEST SKILLS BECAUSE I GET SWARMED BY THAT PEST SHIPS WITH THEIR TRACTOR BEAMS IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL!
And if you send an NPC to save me, make him fly in with guns blazing so I get a nice firework. Having him warp in and then barely help at all just makes him and the ship look useless.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 206
03-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I really enjoyed the closer. Spacewalking was definitely an interesting adventure and would like to see more of it, with obviously, more variety of EV suit. When I did the mission on my Klink, my kid said that the suit makes him look fat, so.... yeah.

I did have trouble on 2 instances of me doing this mission and somehow getting stuck outside of the playable area, one time I fell INTO DS9 where I shouldn't have been, the other time I got stuck on the other side of the beacons since I couldn't move forward I moved backward and fell OFF of DS9. But other than those hiccups, it was great, beautiful detailing, the BoP crash was well done and totally unexpected. However the bug ship hovering over me, WATCHING me go to the control panel and fire torpedoes at me (after tinkering with the puzzle for like 5 minutes) was a little much ;-)

Don't forget the loot the armory for some nice gear.

The space battle is what I'm talking about! THAT was EPIC, it was very DS9 in scale, just watch firing off BFAW, you'll tick off EVERYTHING ;-)

My only complaint is, WHY does the Jem'Hadar TS3 do SOOOOO much more damage than mine? When it fires at me, I lose whatever shield it was aimed at and about half my hull. When I fired it at them, it didn't even so much as take out that section of shield (it put a huge dent in it, but nothing near what I was dealt)


The Enterprise-F arriving in the nick of time, awesome. But Shon? I've done WAY more for the Federation, including single handedly rescuing DS9... Just saying ;-)


Conversation options: I hate to mention that "other" game with Star in the title, but I was kinda hoping for a "Flirt" option with Loriss, she's HAWT!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 207
03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
While I enjoyed the mission, I couldn't help but feel disappointed in bad storytelling.

Game storytelling is a lot different than other forms of storytelling. If a main character of a book gets cheated, the reader doesn't feel cheated as well. In a game, when you ARE the main character of the story, if the main character is cheated, YOU are cheated.

I spent the majority of the mission doing what I was doing, sneaking into DS9 on a covert mission to stop(or assassinate) the Jem'Hadar leader in order to demoralize his men and get them to fall in line and pull out peacefully.

After completing this long trek, and beating the ever loving bajeesus out of him, he pulls a last second beam out, and I STILL have to fight the fleet.

I felt cheated. I defeated this guy fair and square. He should be dead. I didn't spend half an hour crawling on the outside of a space station so that we'd STILL have to fight the Dominion fleet and incur heavy casualties.

The space battle was crap, as well. I beamed onto my ship, and by the time the loading screen caught up, my ship was already without shields and at 50% hull. I'm dropped within firing range of two battleships and a dreadnought, along with all their buddies, and I'm their priority target. I spent the entire mission respawning just so I could mash my face back into the angle grinder.

Then, to top it all off, here comes the Enterprise! And, she holds off the entire fleet effortlessly, and saves poor ol' me.

That's another element of bad game storytelling. You don't beat the ever loving crap out of your player, and then have an NPC come in and save their day. The player no longer feels special. They feel helpless. They aren't the hero anymore, they're the damsel in distress. It is no longer MY story, I'm just a supporting character(who dies in the first half of the movie).

Overall, the game mechanics were pretty cool, but the storytelling and the balance of the final battle need to be completely redone. My captain is going to spend the next couple of weeks in his pajamas with a carton of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 208
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I disagree, I've done the mission 4 times so far, and the only time I have had any trouble in the space portion, was when I popped BFAW at the start, BIG mistake.. The rest of the fleet has 1 job, to hold aggro... all you do is go in and start picking off ships 1 by one, once the fleet thins out, you can start firing off BFAW and Spread to your heart's content.

But if you do ANY kind of AoE right at the start, you're in trouble.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 209
03-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Well, make use of cover, and specificly, the double tapping the left and right walk to roll out of fire. If you pack hypos, you can heal yourself, and energy cells can bump your firepower up. Engage at a distance, then fall back away from the mines and mobs to stop yourself being flanked, then if you do encounter the mines, it's after you've dealt with the mob and you should've regained enough health for it to not be fatal. Always give yourself a moment to recuperate between mobs, and always plan where you're going to fall back to once you've agro'd them. I found it easiest with an expose weapon, and a sniper rifle.

Again with space, know when to back off if your shields are dropping. Engage at the fringe of the battle and work your way in, if you steam into the middle of course you'll get shot from all sides, and that much firepower can't be tanked in all ships. In another post you said this was more arcady and less strategic, but when they can beat you with brute force, that forces you to pilot your ship more strategicly. Sure you can fly into the middle of a furball, or you can thin out their numbers from the fringer and pull back a little.

I'm glad that we had a PVE mission where more than mashing the spacebar is necessary to succeed without dying for once.
I have done that mission now about 4 or 5 times with different Characters, every Ship/captain and Captain/Kit combination needs a different strategy, of course.

My point was that the NPCs got some unfair advantages, imo.
(Torpedoes that rip your shields apart in one salvo in space and cloaking, mine laying while cloaked and mines that can kill you instantly when things go bad on ground)
I don't see a reason to make NPCs THAT overpowered, thats all.

My other point was that i noticed that the devs seem to think that NPCs (Borg and now Dominion) need some unfair one-shot Weapons.


Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 210
03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samusaran111 View Post
Data got killed at end of Nemesis??

Unless the game does not count that movie as cannon?

Also what happened to the Ent-E??
Yeah, in the Path to 2409 on this website they explain Data (In B4's body) takes over as captain of the E and it goes missing. In the STO Book "Needs of the Many" it gives some more background of Data waking up in B4 and how Geordi deals with it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.