Lt. Commander
I think the Doff System is a great component added to STO and had an idea of how it could be expanded to go some way to solve the problems of having old ships that no longer get used and also that we have a lot of admirals in the game commanding only one ship.

The idea is based off the old Trek game "Starship Creator" in which, as you may remember, you created a ship hull, fitted it with various systems and officers, then sent them on missions which would call upon particular systems installed or officer skills as the mission progressed to give a mission result.

My idea then would be to have doff-style missions to send your starships on once you are at at RA level. Perhaps as part of the game mechanic you would assign a boff (thats not currently active) to command the ship on the mission and have doffs assigned to the key ship stations (helm, science, ops etc.) The missions could then have chances of success and bonuses dependent on the type of ship sent, boff skills and doff traits. It would become more important to keep all of your ships equipped, up to date and ready for active missions.

I'm not saying it would be quick and easy to implement but I'd be interested to see what people think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I'd much rather not have this; I'd prefer if the rank structure maxed out at Captain. Similarly I really don't want to be in control of a Fleet as part of some level cap increase either. One Captain, One Crew, One Ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
So here is what I would like: once you reach admiral you can promote your Boffs to the rank of Captain and put them in ships you own. Then you can send those ships/Captains on Doff-like missions. Except these wouldnt be minor things like "scan 5 anomalies", it would be on a larger scale like "engage Klingon forces" or what have you. And rather than risking a single Doff, you would be risking an entire ship of "people". I think that would really raise the stakes and be real Admiral-like gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I'd much rather not have this; I'd prefer if the rank structure maxed out at Captain. Similarly I really don't want to be in control of a Fleet as part of some level cap increase either. One Captain, One Crew, One Ship.
And people such as yourself who didnt want to do it would not have to.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And people such as yourself who didnt want to do it would not have to.
Except that's not the way the game will work, is it? You don't design a system like that to be optional; it's all or nothing. If fleet-ships are added in the entire game will be changed to suit that, because there just isn't enough development bandwidth (not talking about internet connections here) to support both those who opt in and those who opt out.

But anyway, I think it's a poor use of resources. The problem isn't that we have nothing Admiral-like to do at VA50, it's that we're Admirals in the first place, when we should start and end as Captains.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Except that's not the way the game will work, is it? You don't design a system like that to be optional; it's all or nothing.
Incorrect. People currently dont have to Doff if they dont want to. They also dont have to craft.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Agreed, I am in for something like this.

Correct me if I am wrong, I THINK Walsh is thinking we are talking about physically being in control of these ships and that their missions would somehow affect the game world?

As it is right now, the DOFF system and the game exist in 2 different worlds. If I sucessfully infiltrate the True Way, or capture a Federation freighter, they have no effect on the game other than I get some loot, andan assignment buff. This is the way I would expect that a Ship DOFF system would work as well, at least, that is the way I would LIKE it to work.

With the current DOFF system, you can manually assign your "department heads" I don't see why this can't work the same way with manually assigning a starship captain. It should also be no problem to get random fleet ships (like we do with DOFFS). I think if we are going to use ships in our inventory however, it would be a bit more complex, because I don't see people wanting to risk one of their personal ships getting destroyed on an Extreme risk mission.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Incorrect. People currently dont have to Doff if they dont want to. They also dont have to craft.
that's true and people who don't want to level beyond Captain don't have to either. You don't have to fly VA ships. It is rather optional. There's room for improvement, but the idea of taking away good features or not implementing them at all because one person may not like them seems silly.

It would be like saying that the Soverign makes my Nova stink, so we should eliminate all tiers above 2 so that my Nova can be an equal competitor.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I've been dreaming of this for about 2 years. I first posted about it in July 2010, as a response to promoting your BOff to a playable character. Promoting BOffs to DOff style ships is far superior imho.

At the time I suggested it, multiple day long, "off screen" missions were unthinkable. People complained about playing paper pusher/. I saw a real opportunity to add some weight to those Admiral pips.

Thankfully since then, the Devs have put together the DOff system, proving that something like this can be done and it can be fun! Just think of slotting DOffs into a ship. There could be a random assortment of ships we would have to find/unlock, possible equipment, etc. It would be a beast of a system, but could really allow us to be more proactive and have some customization for the DOff system.

Early Post:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...71#post2853871
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
That's actually a very good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
So here is what I would like: once you reach admiral you can promote your Boffs to the rank of Captain and put them in ships you own. Then you can send those ships/Captains on Doff-like missions. Except these wouldnt be minor things like "scan 5 anomalies", it would be on a larger scale like "engage Klingon forces" or what have you. And rather than risking a single Doff, you would be risking an entire ship of "people". I think that would really raise the stakes and be real Admiral-like gameplay.
I would like this, but it would make a lot more sense at the Fleet Admiral rank to unlock this feature. Give me a reason to send out my T3 Excelsior and T4 Galaxy.

Quote:
But anyway, I think it's a poor use of resources. The problem isn't that we have nothing Admiral-like to do at VA50, it's that we're Admirals in the first place, when we should start and end as Captains.
Like Admiral Riker once said, "The one good thing about being an Admiral is that you get to pick your own ship."